U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 63,610 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I hope you can help us find a place to live, let me give you some background: My husband is retired; My son (16) needs good high school and college; I am 54 and experienced, award winning Chef (had restaurants and good critic reviews from Vegas) and have been a Personal Chef plus exp. Office Admin & Interpreter (Spanish) and we are computer savvy; we are all citizens in case this comes up. When my husband retired he wanted to relax in Mexico so we moved to Merida, Yucatan but I'm not ready to retire and the heat is too much and is wearing him down. Don't have a lot of money but we might be able to relocate to the US (YAY!) and this is what we are looking for:
Low rental (can't afford to buy), decent job market, low cost of living, decent schools and to be able to get away from the heat and humidity. We don't mind the cold and snow (how's that for a change?). Could be a small town but close to med size city; Cultural opportunities would be good, great public transport would be a plus, low crime too.... We are well traveled, educated people who make good residents, I'm not looking for a free ride just to be in an area where there are opportunities and I will take care of the rest. I have a great resume and the critic's restaurant reviews I have are awesome (my place was #8 of the Top 10 in Vegas but we sold when my husband got sick); I cook all nationalities and have original recipes plus I specialize in Antique Classical Mexican Food which is dying out fast, the real stuff folks done the old fashioned way too..... Any suggestions? I would appreciate everyone's input..... Right now I am trying to save money to move us as soon as we are able..... and your suggestions could give us something to hope for, how about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,842,191 times
I might try the Hartford, CT or Providence, RI areas. Neither of these places is going to be terribly hot. They're near New York and Boston, and yet have a much lower cost of living (you might be surprised how cheap the housing is in Hartford). Both have easy access to good schools and are certainly cultured. Being on the East Coast, you should certainly find a healthy job market. You may also want to consider something smaller in the upper Midwest area.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 PM

1,713 posts, read 3,720,181 times
Providence has a very tight job market and you'll be competing with a ton of Johnson and Wales grads (excellent Culinary school). If you are determined to live on the East Coast, try Philly- its cheap and job market is good.. Why not go back to Vegas?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,266,750 times
I didn't even know their was such thing as Antique mexican... and I'm Mexican....what is it exactly?
I would suggest Midland Michigan or Boise Idaho maybe? I would think Providence is too expensive but I haven't done research so I may be wrong.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 PM

Antique Mexican could also be called Classic Mexican Cuisine and it's what prominent families used to serve on their tables, lots of ingredients and labor intensive dishes no longer popular since everyone must work plus younger generations aren't interested in spending hours in the kitchen to produce home-made moles, pipian, rich sauces and long simmering dishes using fresh regional ingredients and time tested techniques. i.e: Asado de Boda Zacatecano, Chiles en Nogada, Lomo de Puerco Mechado con Salsa de Tamarindo, Tamales Rancheros, Indias Vestidas to name just a few.... I have also taught cooking classes and am familiar with Nouvelle Mexican Cuisine.....

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM

3,330 posts, read 6,294,559 times
Omaha Nebraska was ranked the eighth best city for jobs in the first quarter. We also have several good restaurants in Omaha and your addition to us would be phenomenal. We have some of the best schools in the Nation and the western part of the city has a very low crime rate. The weather has both extremes, hot in the summer cold in the winter but its tolerable. Try making a thread in the Omaha forum and see what other people say they'll say a lot more than me. If you do move to Omaha tell me were your restaurant is and I would love to come.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM

I was in NE, KS & CO last year looking around and I can tell you.... nicest people I've met! Nice country too and while I didn't make it all they way to Omaha, Kearney was lovely.....

Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM

25,273 posts, read 27,388,177 times
Birmingham, Alabama. Hey, you'll be surprised. First it has the country's lowest unemployment of any large metro area. Second it has a pretty vibrant restaurant scene. After all, on of Gourmet's top five restaurants in the country is located here, and Frank Stitt is one of America's most important chefs. Reasonable cost of living, lots of cultural amenities, and really fun and interesting neighborhoods. Public transportation is a minus, but it's a pretty easy city to get around in.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM

3,033 posts, read 6,147,643 times
Boston is wicked expensive but there's not a decent Mexican (antique, classical or otherwise) in the entire metro area. ARGH! You'd make a mint!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,905,735 times
Minneapolis
-Wonderful high schools and universities.
-A relatively low cost of living (considering its size).
-Good (and expanding) transportation options.
-The metropolitan area is second only to Seattle in its per capita spending on restaurants.
The people here are educated and extremely pleasant. There is a plethora of opportunities and many cultural attractions. The city is progressive, well-rounded and both civically and globally minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.