U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 697,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is a very geographically notable "rowhouse belt" in the Mid-Atlantic. It basically includes the following areas - at least in terms of 19th/very early 20th century urban areas:

MD: I think that not only Baltimore, but all of the 19th century cities in Maryland have a fair-sized contingent of rowhouses, barring Salisbury on the Eastern Shore.
Good post.

I will have to disagree with some things: Row houses in the largest two cities in the row house belt (Baltimore and Philly) did not fall out of fashion "very early" in the 20th century.

Most of Baltimore was built in the 1900s and a supermajority of new houses in the city were row homes until the early '20s, which is when the streetcar suburb portion of the city (basically a bungalow belt) was developed. They came back into style in the 50s, when hundreds of row houses were built to fill in the remaining rural parts of town.

Philadelphia appears to not have a bungalow phase, but row homes were continuously built until the 1960s.

Regarding Maryland...

No Eastern Shore town have significant numbers of row houses, and all of them are around 2000 ppsm or less. Annapolis is also at the 2k mark and is predominately detached housing, but it least it has some row houses close to the Capitol. Hagetstown is similar to (3300) Richmond in density, and also has a fair share of closely packed semi-detached and detached houses like Richmond does. Cumberland is another detached-house 2k ppsm town, but it's core is probably the most urban outside of Towson and a couple inner suburbs of DC.

Southern Maryland was always quite rural and didn't have the estuaries, economy or the railroads that the Eastern Shore had, and this is why there is not any sizeable town that isn't based on suburban growth in historical SoMD excluding Annapolis.

I would rank Maryland cities/towns with by how much of a "row house city" they are like this:

Baltimore
Hagerstown
Annapolis
Frederick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
In terms of a small city Downtown, Bluefield WV(about 10-11,000 people) would fit: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2680...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or