U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where in U.S. does it start to becone "too hot and humid" in the summer?
South of Interstate 80 15 27.78%
South of Interstate 70 15 27.78%
South of Interstate 40 16 29.63%
South of Interstate 20 7 12.96%
South of Interstate 10 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Reputation: 2858
Above I-80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Reputation: 7897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Never! Bring it on.
Right, I used to live South of I-10 and that was about right. Hot is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Its more an east west thing than strictly north south. I, as someone from Florida, do not consider north Texas to be all that humid in the summer. Currently 97 degrees and 28% humidity, idk if y'all call that humid but I sure don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,300 posts, read 3,299,778 times
Reputation: 4513
I voted for south of I-20 (although I thought about I-40). The heat/humidity in the Midwest cannot compare to this hell in Texas.

It certainly got hot in the Midwest, but we didn't have weeks of 100 degrees at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Reputation: 2194
No where in America is really humid unless people are really wimps and delicate, anybody who has ever traveled to southeast asia or or india etc and visited many places in the actual tropics wouuld think most of american heat and humidity to be a joke. I actually think he humidity in places like thailand and southeast asia make it a such a sensual and sexy climate, great food too.

Very hot but I dont care, all of my favorite countries and cultures have warmth and are humid places, they are always better local cuisines and more sensual culture the hotter and humid the climate . new orleans in america is a perfect example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
6,136 posts, read 2,840,371 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
No where in America is really humid unless people are really wimps and delicate, anybody who has ever traveled to southeast asia or or india etc and visited many places in the actual tropics wouuld think most of american heat and humidity to be a joke. I actually think he humidity in places like thailand and southeast asia make it a such a sensual and sexy climate, great food too.

Very hot but I dont care, all of my favorite countries and cultures have warmth and are humid places, they are always better local cuisines and more sensual culture the hotter and humid the climate . new orleans in america is a perfect example
Idk, but the humidity on the Gulf Coast and in Florida very much matches those places in the summer in terms of dew points, but those places are wetter in the summer so they have higher relative humidity. I agree, humidity is a boon to human life imo. I absolutely love it, all the thunderstorms and warm nights associated with high humidity is great. I completely agree that humidity adds to a culture a bit. Like the way houses in the old south were built. New Orleans is my favorite American city, I absolutely love it, for its warmth and tropical summer weather, history, and ecosystems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Reputation: 7704
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
No where in America is really humid unless people are really wimps and delicate, anybody who has ever traveled to southeast asia or or india etc and visited many places in the actual tropics wouuld think most of american heat and humidity to be a joke. I actually think he humidity in places like thailand and southeast asia make it a such a sensual and sexy climate, great food too.

Very hot but I dont care, all of my favorite countries and cultures have warmth and are humid places, they are always better local cuisines and more sensual culture the hotter and humid the climate . new orleans in america is a perfect example
That's like saying nowhere in America gets real cold in winter, just cuz it doesn't get like the South Pole Lots of places in the Deep South have numerous days where the humidity is 90+ percent and its a steam bath. I've been in 100% humidity, does humidity exceed 100 in SE Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Reputation: 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Idk, but the humidity on the Gulf Coast and in Florida very much matches those places in the summer in terms of dew points, but those places are wetter in the summer so they have higher relative humidity. I agree, humidity is a boon to human life imo. I absolutely love it, all the thunderstorms and warm nights associated with high humidity is great. I completely agree that humidity adds to a culture a bit. Like the way houses in the old south were built. New Orleans is my favorite American city, I absolutely love it, for its warmth and tropical summer weather, history, and ecosystems.
Its the power of the gulf stream, its not just new orleans. Charleston has shrimp and grits and one of the best food cultures in america i, alot of southern cities have amazing fish and fruits and vegetables and a very interesting cuisine. tons of fruits and vegetables ,pimento cheese, cucumber sandwiches , okra, corn pudding,amazing shrimp, tex mex in texas, fried green tomatoes ,key lime pie, bananas foster, and bread pudding,sweet potato inspired dishes and tons of peanut inspired dishes and much of the best seafood in the country.

tons of amazing palms, banana plants, spanish moss and tons of interesting subtropical vegetation and warm water beaches and fish too

its not just food , its music (jazz.rock and roll, soul,country etc) and a much more sensual culture in humid historical places like storyville and charleston etc, People that hate the south call it the bible belt but most of the funnest and most hedonistic places are in the south, new Orleans, key west, mobile mardi gras, Biloxi casinos, kentucky derby and tons of great bourbon drinks and tons of coastal areas in the south and horse racing and sailing and diving in the south . I just wish there was a Vegas in the south

Food wise I actually love the fusion dishes with asia and many warmer places int the world combined with the south, i grow lemongrass and tons of intersting exotic things. heat and stable summers give many plants sugars to make them thrive even through the occasional really low colds in the south, southwestern stuff like cannas and yucca can thrive in the south .

humid places just tend to be more sensual and vibrant places

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-02-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Reputation: 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That's like saying nowhere in America gets real cold in winter, just cuz it doesn't get like the South Pole Lots of places in the Deep South have numerous days where the humidity is 90+ percent and its a steam bath. I've been in 100% humidity, does humidity exceed 100 in SE Asia?
Why is steamy and sultry weather so bad , people go into steam baths all the time but I agree they are not in suits so i will give you that. lol I am just saying humid cultures tend to be more interesting culture wise, food ,culture etc.

find someone with a pool or a nice evening barbecue and look at the amazing stuff you can grow in higher hardiness zones and what about the winter?

Would anyone rather be golfing and outdoors in december and January or "suffering" through some hot summer near a pool or beach or barbecuing at night with a nice cold drink when the sun goes down and a nice evening thunderstorm . I ll take a "supposedly" hot summer than snow and ice and shut in during the winter with miserable early darkness evenings and freezing temps when the sun sets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Reputation: 5855
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Why is steamy and sultry weather so bad , people go into steam baths all the time but I agree they are not in suits so i will give you that. lol I am just saying humid cultures tend to be more interesting culture wise, food ,culture etc.

find someone with a pool or a nice evening barbecue and look at the amazing stuff you can grow in higher hardiness zones and what about the winter?

Would anyone rather be golfing and outdoors in december and January or "suffering" through some hot summer near a pool or beach or barbecuing at night with a nice cold drink when the sun goes down and a nice evening thunderstorm . I ll take a "supposedly" hot summer than snow and ice and shut in during the winter with miserable early darkness evenings and freezing temps when the sun sets
Or you can go to the Phoenix or SoCal where you can avoid the humidity AND the winter cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top