U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in U.S. does it start to becone "too hot and humid" in the summer?
South of Interstate 80 15 27.78%
South of Interstate 70 15 27.78%
South of Interstate 40 16 29.63%
South of Interstate 20 7 12.96%
South of Interstate 10 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:19 PM

470 posts, read 287,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Dallas is NOT, I repeat, NOT better than Phoenix in the weather department, we are having a gulf surge right now, and it does feel bad, but it is not the norm. For example, in July, the normal dewpoint in Phoenix is 58, while Dallas has a normal dewpoint of 71 and Houston has a normal dewpoint of 74, it makes ALL the difference! So it IS in fact the humidity

And on the flipside, in winter, Phoenix is Hardiness Zone 10A and averages 3 frosts/0 freezes per winter and no ice or snow, while Houston is Zone 9A and averages quite a few frosts and a few freezes per winter, and can see ice/freezing rain, while Dallas is Zone 8A and sees lots of hard freezes and snow. The coldest day in a Phoenix winter is on par with an avg Dallas day in January, while Dallas's coldest winter days will have highs in the 30s and lows in the 10s and see snow ffs. That's why Dallas and OKC have the worst weather in the whole country, cold, grey sometimes snowy winters AND hot muggy humid summers (don't give me the relative humidity % garbage, dewpoint is more important!)

Honestly, it doesn't matter that both Dallas and Houston have higher summer dewpoints, both a much cooler than Phoenix typically during summer, and will see more chances of real heavy clouds, rain, etc than Phoenix does.

As for Houston's winter climate, conditions will vary depending on closeness to the Gulf. Houston IAH is quite far from the Gulf, and inland, and, thus, isn't as moderated, with zone 9A/9B winters, with a bit of frosts annually (around 7-9 on average). Central Houston (Hobby), which is closer to the Gulf, is more moderate during winter, with around 3-4 frosts on average (as per latest trends), and is a strong 9B, nearly 10A with latest trends. Galveston, on the coast, is zone 10A as per latest trends.

Even though Houston's winter climate (and much of the rest of the coastal South) is slightly cooler than Phoenix's winter climate, the temps still stay quite moderated enough to allow decent cultivation of many subtropical/tropical plants. The hot, humid rainy summers of the region allow plants to grow fast, get established, allowing them strength to 'tough out' brief cold spells. This is why the Coastal South is loaded with broadleaf evergreen plants/palms, despite having times of frost; the same circumstance can be seen in much of East Asia.

Phoenix has nice winters, but summers are too hot for my liking. While many areas of the coastal US South have cooler winters, the temps still stay mild enough for many great purposes, and summers are rainy and comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Honestly, it doesn't matter that both Dallas and Houston have higher summer dewpoints, both a much cooler than Phoenix typically during summer, and will see more chances of real heavy clouds, rain, etc than Phoenix does.

As for Houston's winter climate, conditions will vary depending on closeness to the Gulf. Houston IAH is quite far from the Gulf, and inland, and, thus, isn't as moderated, with zone 9A/9B winters, with a bit of frosts annually (around 7-9 on average). Central Houston (Hobby), which is closer to the Gulf, is more moderate during winter, with around 3-4 frosts on average (as per latest trends), and is a strong 9B, nearly 10A with latest trends. Galveston, on the coast, is zone 10A as per latest trends.

Even though Houston's winter climate (and much of the rest of the coastal South) is slightly cooler than Phoenix's winter climate, the temps still stay quite moderated enough to allow decent cultivation of many subtropical/tropical plants. The hot, humid rainy summers of the region allow plants to grow fast, get established, allowing them strength to 'tough out' brief cold spells. This is why the Coastal South is loaded with broadleaf evergreen plants/palms, despite having times of frost; the same circumstance can be seen in much of East Asia.

Phoenix has nice winters, but summers are too hot for my liking. While many areas of the coastal US South have cooler winters, the temps still stay mild enough for many great purposes, and summers are rainy and comfortable.
Hi YnOhTnA, you are not fooling me or anybody else

Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hi YnOhTnA, you are not fooling me or anybody else
?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
?
You know who you are, every username, the posts are all the same!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You know who you are, every username, the posts are all the same!
I know who I am, but I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Quote:
Dallas is NOT, I repeat, NOT better than Phoenix in the weather department, we are having a gulf surge right now, and it does feel bad, but it is not the norm. For example, in July, the normal dewpoint in Phoenix is 58, while Dallas has a normal dewpoint of 71 and Houston has a normal dewpoint of 74, it makes ALL the difference! So it IS in fact the humidity
Chicago has a higher dewpoint than Phoenix as well. It doesnt mean Chicago summers are worse than Phoenix.

If Dallas is anywhere close to the temperatures of Phoenix in the summer, its dry heat. The heat index in Phoenix is higher than in Dallas for months on end.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:50 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:

And on the flipside, in winter, Phoenix is Hardiness Zone 10A and averages 3 frosts/0 freezes per winter and no ice or snow, while Houston is Zone 9A and averages quite a few frosts and a few freezes per winter, and can see ice/freezing rain, while Dallas is Zone 8A and sees lots of hard freezes and snow. The coldest day in a Phoenix winter is on par with an avg Dallas day in January, while Dallas's coldest winter days will have highs in the 30s and lows in the 10s and see snow ffs. That's why Dallas and OKC have the worst weather in the whole country, cold, grey sometimes snowy winters AND hot muggy humid summers (don't give me the relative humidity % garbage, dewpoint is more important!)

The snow is and ice that Dallas DOES get, is my favourite part. If I didn't want snow I'd move back to Miami. (JK, I wouldn't move back to Miami anyway.) Dallas gets 4 seasons, Phoenix is just a furnace. I pick Dallas. Ideally I'd pick Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago or Boston but for now North Texas will do.

I am so looking forward to winter time here, especially with all this heat. Again, humidity here is still nowhere near as high as the southeast.

Btw not sure where you get the idea that Dallas' winters are "grey and snowy" lol that's a laugh. I'd prefer that yes, but our winter is quite cool, not necessarily warm and not necessarily cold. It's also normally sunny in the winter, except on rainy, foggy or snow days.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:57 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Chicago has a higher dewpoint than Phoenix as well. It doesnt mean Chicago summers are worse than Phoenix.

If Dallas is anywhere close to the temperatures of Phoenix in the summer, its dry heat. The heat index in Phoenix is higher than in Dallas for months on end.
Exactly. I actually prefer summer weather in Miami over Dallas, despite it being more humid, because of the abundance of rain. I prefer Dallas year round though, because of the change of seasons. It's not like Phoenix is the same temp as Dallas, but considerably drier, it's drier but considerably hotter. Not exactly an improvement, and in October our average high is generally only in the 70s, where in Phoenix its pushing 90 practically. Also winter lows are about the same but the highs are a lot warmer which seems just annoying cuz that means you have to wear a sweater in the morning or night and a t shirt in day. I'd rather just wear a sweater all day and not lug it around in the sun in the afternoon.

And God, give me a rainy day!

Edit: NVM I misread the winter lows. I confused average low with average monthly minimum. Ehh, Phoenix winters don't appeal to me, too warm. More like fall which is nice, if it happens in fall. At least a Dallas winter is more of a real winter. Sorry, but I know from experience that living where summers are really hot, and winters are barely cold, sucks. There's nothing to compensate for sweating my butt off for over 3 months.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The snow is and ice that Dallas DOES get, is my favourite part. If I didn't want snow I'd move back to Miami. (JK, I wouldn't move back to Miami anyway.) Dallas gets 4 seasons, Phoenix is just a furnace. I pick Dallas. Ideally I'd pick Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago or Boston but for now North Texas will do.

I am so looking forward to winter time here, especially with all this heat. Again, humidity here is still nowhere near as high as the southeast.

Btw not sure where you get the idea that Dallas' winters are "grey and snowy" lol that's a laugh. I'd prefer that yes, but our winter is quite cool, not necessarily warm and not necessarily cold. It's also normally sunny in the winter, except on rainy, foggy or snow days.
Just cause Dallas doesn't get Great Lakes or Denver type snow levels doesn't mean they aren't snowy. And I don't like any snow or cold which is why SoCal has my favorite climate in the country, with Phoenix as a second best

And back to the summer thing, honestly, 95 with a 70 dewpoint feels MUCH worse than 105 with a 50 dewpoint, I just don't like high dewpoints at all, they make you feel all sweaty and dirty, where with lower dewpoints, you stay dry at least

Old 08-06-2016, 07:38 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:

Come on, i usually like your posts but you are being a little ridiculous in this thread, comparing the dallas winters to okc, the midwest the dakotas, the north etc and the worst weather in the country is silly. Dallas doesnt have cold, grey and snowy winters. They are very mild, and like I said before a hot summer can be fun if you have a pool,Plano has some of the highest percentage in the country for pool ownership, just like Arizona and Florida

You obviously dont like humidity or any winter at all and and thats fine, but alot of people dont like dry climates. Personally I think both have alot to offer, thats why the florida, arizona,the carolinas Georgia and Texas always lead the nation for retirees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or