U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 AM

628 posts, read 758,438 times

Advertisements

When I think of Albuquerque, the first thing that comes to mind is sunny, cool weather. That southwestern Native American pattern that we all know, the surrounding mountain, large NA, Caucasian, and Hispanic populations with little to no Black or African/Caribbean people (whether or not that is the case is irrelevant because it's just what I image the demographics to be). I've only driven through ABQ but I remember it looking clean with a decent climate, kind of brown scenery and hilly.

Those are impressions from someone who doesn't really know much about the people of ABQ and has only driven through it.

Oh, and green chili
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,928 times
I love New Mexico. We travel through it quite often and sometimes stay for a day or two. Taos, Santa Fe, ABQ, even Gallup. I went to school in the San Luis Valley of Colorado, so it seems very much like that part of my state.

I enjoy the food, the culture and the scenery. In fact, we're retiring in a few years and we are looking at Las Cruces.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,642,629 times
Honestly I didn't find it to be too scenic cause it was too dry. Even in the spots where there was trees, they were still bush trees. It did have a anything goes wilderness feel though that reminded me of western novels I've read.

Santa Fe looked unique, but I'm not a huge fan of pueblo (tan stucco really) style houses.

I think it's just my subjective preference, I didn't care for the scenery or city style, but I can understand why some would like it.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
When I think of Albuquerque, the first thing that comes to mind is sunny, cool weather. That southwestern Native American pattern that we all know, the surrounding mountain, large NA, Caucasian, and Hispanic populations with little to no Black or African/Caribbean people (whether or not that is the case is irrelevant because it's just what I image the demographics to be). I've only driven through ABQ but I remember it looking clean with a decent climate, kind of brown scenery and hilly.

Those are impressions from someone who doesn't really know much about the people of ABQ and has only driven through it.

Oh, and green chili

Guess you've never driven through here in the summer. This has been an unusually hot summer especially late June and July with temps in high 90s. Sizzling. Cool only in comparison with Phoenix and Vegas. LOL.

You're right about the green chile (not chili) though.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM

100 posts, read 70,800 times
Hot, flat, boring, dusty, sunny, and dry, with houses made of stucco and yards made of sand and dry, cracked earth. Mountains looming in the distance. An abundance of corn tortillas.

I assume most of this is wrong, but it's what I think on those rare occasions when I think of Albuquerque.

I think of Santa Fe as having smaller buildings, more hills, and 10,000x the cost of living.

I think of Taos as being full of weirdos. I may be confusing it with Sedona.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This plus:

*Chile peppers.
* Dry, no humidity, but still hot.
*lonely
Yes, Green Chile Peppers, they even put them on hamburgers.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,155 times
It has nice scenery and you can drive 100 mph and never see a cop. I love the state but do not stop at all to eat or stay over night, I just stopped for gas.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
It has nice scenery and you can drive 100 mph and never see a cop. I love the state but do not stop at all to eat or stay over night, I just stopped for gas.
Here in Arizona, and New Mexico is similar here, the Interstates for the most part are on flat, open land with little shrubbery. That's the Southwest in a nutshell. If there was a cop you'd probably see him at least a mile out. So the cops have given up on doing that for the most part. Makes Interstate driving very pleasant. Also if you do it often enough (I drive between Tucson and Phoenix regularly) you know the same regular spots they will camp out on the median. So you can speed all you want, slow down when there's a high chance of a cop being somewhere, then speed back up. There are benefits to having a lack of trees and big skies, you know

Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,138,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I dont want this posted in the New Mexico forum. Im interested to hear otgers opinions from other states. What do you think about the state or ABQ? How familiar are you with it and when you think of ABQ how big do you think it is or feels?

Im sure outsiders views are totally different than the locals.
I lived in Santa Fe way back in the 1990's and spent a lot of time to the north as well. I love New Mexico!
I only know ABQ from "Breaking Bad" which i thought did it proud but since i'm an outsider, maybe not.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,663,351 times
I live in Texas and the Land of Enchantment is one of my favorite states.I want to move there in the future.I have been to New Mexico numerous times.I am planning on moving to either Albuquerque or Las Cruces.I almost moved to Roswell one time.However, I do plan on making it back to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or