Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Meaning the suburbs seem to function without the core city, other than the employment aspect. Like they have their own downtowns, malls, shopping districts? I think the DC burbs stand alone well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Lots of Boston area burbs are separate from Boston despite being relatively close. Most New England towns have small town centers with lots of amenities.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
For the longest time, as far as I know, the Detroit burbs have tried to be self-sufficient as best they could be, and they generally did a good job (at the expense of the city). I think now though they're starting to realize that a better Detroit is good for all of the region, including themselves, and with the new transit plan it looks like regional leaders have finally decided not to just leave the city for dead.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Orange County, CA

While North OC is really an extension of LA suburbia, SouthOC is it's own self sustaining mini metro. Central OC is something in between.

There are nearly just as many commuters going from LA county to OC, as there are going from OC to LA.

Tons of vibrany downtowns, mainstreets, beach areas, etc.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
I would have said Detroit.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
In my opinion the amenities in the suburbs of Phoenix are far more impressive then the city itself. Many of the suburbs function almost fully on their own.

It is a very, very suburb centric metropolitan area as a whole.

I rarely even visited the city when I lived there. Most of the people I knew lived their lives completely in the suburbs and rarely went to Phoenix except for a sports event.

The most interesting and vibrant downtown's in my opinion are in the suburbs. There are many suburban office parks in Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale.

There are many, many shopping districts in the suburbs. Tempe has two very large malls, Chandler and Gilbert have large malls. Scottsdale is a tourist mecca for shopping.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:43 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Metros are all far more interrelated than people suggest.

For example one widget company might serve the whole metro, just like one airport often does. And a large office, pretty much anywhere in the metro, will have employees from all over.

It's not a question of whether urban places exist in the suburbs. Often they do, and good ones. That's about format, not content.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
I have to think the DFW metro would be a contender for the most independent cities in a huge metro. It's a combination of massive growth taking in existing towns and areas smart enough to incorporate. I live in an area of San Antonio that really should have done that before getting annexed so the city council could have the tax base to use on their pet projects - the ones that don't benefit the majority of the taxpayers of course. I've always envied the towns/suburbs around Dallas that get to apply their money to their own neighborhoods.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
In my opinion the amenities in the suburbs of Phoenix are far more impressive then the city itself. Many of the suburbs function almost fully on their own.

It is a very, very suburb centric metropolitan area as a whole.

I rarely even visited the city when I lived there. Most of the people I knew lived their lives completely in the suburbs and rarely went to Phoenix except for a sports event.

The most interesting and vibrant downtown's in my opinion are in the suburbs. There are many suburban office parks in Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale.

There are many, many shopping districts in the suburbs. Tempe has two very large malls, Chandler and Gilbert have large malls. Scottsdale is a tourist mecca for shopping.
Not sure when you left Phoenix, but the city proper has made a resurgence since light rail came in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.