U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 11:30 PM

448 posts, read 390,622 times

Advertisements

I dont want this posted in the New Mexico forum. Im interested to hear otgers opinions from other states. What do you think about the state or ABQ? How familiar are you with it and when you think of ABQ how big do you think it is or feels?

Im sure outsiders views are totally different than the locals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,484,422 times
I enjoy visiting the Albuquerque area. I toy with living there from time to time. I always thought of it as leaning towards being open minded. Hopefully wanting to be progressive. Then I started following the Rapid Transit project. Something I would think the area would welcome. At least it would show interest in modernizing the city on some level. However the arguments and bickering seem very odd.. It's a transit option, that then will bring other projects being built. It's a way toget out of the damn car. I'm saddened to see so much anger over ABQ trying to improve and modernize itself. Otherwise I really like much of NM. There are many things to be angry about, but a rapid transit line. Yes seems very odd so much anger, that it had to go before a judge.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 AM

1,249 posts, read 822,311 times
Everything I know about ABQ is from Breaking Bad. Just kidding, I've looked into the city a bit and it seems nice. Not horrible but not spectacular either. Midsize city with over 300 sunny days a year. Seems pretty brown given the desert environment. I like the sunshine but I enjoy nice thunderstorms, fall foliage, and winter snow way to much to enjoy the ABQ climate, I think I'd get depressed. Like most cities its size I feel like it's lacking a certain signature something, if that makes sense. But overall I say it's a pretty decent city. Being born and raised on the east coast I'd never never see myself moving there but I could see if you had family or was born there, there wouldn't be much reason to leave.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Never been to New Mexico, from the east coast and currently living in lower Midwest.

Perceptions of New Mexico
- Strong Spanish, Mexican and Native American history/cultural influence
-Relatively poor state, probably not a strong public education system, heavily reliant on federal government
-Interesting and varied topography, assuming beautiful sunsets
-Lots of land owned by the federal government

Old 08-01-2016, 10:32 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Never been to New Mexico, from the east coast and currently living in lower Midwest.

Perceptions of New Mexico
- Strong Spanish, Mexican and Native American history/cultural influence
-Relatively poor state, probably not a strong public education system, heavily reliant on federal government
-Interesting and varied topography, assuming beautiful sunsets
-Lots of land owned by the federal government
This plus:

*Chile peppers.
* Dry, no humidity, but still hot.
*lonely

Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
ABQ is a small metro area. I have been there, as I have a cousin there who is native to CT but has been living in ABQ for 20 years now. Overall, I liked it. However, I did think it was a bit too brown and dry. And I would have to get used to the Hispanic culture. But it has a cultural warmth not found in other places. Overall, NM is a pretty state, but I probably wouldn't want to voluntarily live there.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:13 PM

4,327 posts, read 918,229 times
I love New Mexico, It really is a beautiful state! I'm Navajo, so I admit to being biased.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,700,423 times
Native American culture, Adobe houses, art, sunsets, red chile peppers, luminaries, the color yellow (due to the state flag, the license plates and little miss sunshine)...I also think of New Mexico as the most Southwestern state (culturally, demographically, and in terms of their landscape).

Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,523,767 times
ALB - Good metro area. Crime rate's a bit high. NM as a whole - Beautiful topography and sunsets. Los Alamos Testing Grounds. Santa Fe. I have a good image if ALB and NM as a North Carolinian.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Everything I know about it is cuz of Breaking Bad soooo
it's a place where a meth empire is being veiled by the cover of delicious fried chicken

In all seriousness, it's a cool place I'd like to check out. I lived in San Angelo, Texas for a while and the scenery there looked similar to Albuquerque's. I imagine west Texas and NM to have a symbiotic regional relationship similar to north Texas and Oklahoma so Albuquerque might come off as familiar to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or