U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the three models of infill best describe the city you live in?
Manhattanization 9 31.03%
Vancouverization 14 48.28%
Brusselization 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where Phoenix falls. I would guess Vancouverism but there are some disagreements:

- Significant reliance on mass transit: ADOT has been working hard to improve mass transit but we are still car-centric and a reliance on mass transit here in Phoenix is microscopic at best.
- Residential buildings in the Phoenix Downtown area are mostly mid-rise it appears with businesses on the ground floor. I would say no more than ten stories on average. However, there are some high-rise residential buildings.
- Maintenance of parks and views could be debated. I'd argue that the best views from Downtown are towards the East and with the airport being over there it means taller buildings cannot be built until they are quite a bit further west. The tall buildings on the West side of Downtown have an advantage of the East views of Tempe, Four Peaks, Camelback, the airport, etc. that will never be blocked unless we get a whole new airport much farther away. It could also be debated that the north side is also another great view of the mountains. These are mostly blocked by the buildings in Uptown, it's almost like we have two Downtowns as Uptown is another collection of skyscrapers.

Tucson however has zero zoning and thus falls under Brusselization. This can be proven by the collection of high-rise student housing next to the University in historic neighborhoods, with most houses in Downtown being converted to businesses and an overall mess of zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Unfortunately, Houston is Brusselization without the Brussels. I agree there should be a name change.

My ideal set up would be whatever Miami is currently doing.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 AM

403 posts, read 521,144 times
DC in undergoing a "Parisization", as it is builing 7 story buildings along its avenues and streets in order to achieve to type of urbanism Paris has ( much less dense version of it though)

Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
I would say Pgh falls under Vancouverism.
I don't think any of these actually fit Pittsburgh.

In terms of residential high-rises, using the loosest definition - buildings tall enough they need to be steel framed rather than stick construction - there's only one which is under construction now in Oakland. Two other ones will soon be built in Oakland, and one downtown. But that's about it. The new apartments downtown for at least the past decade have been rehabs of outdated commercial buildings. And the normal new-construction apartment complexes built in urban neighborhoods are the nationally ubiquitious 4-5 story low-rises with a frame first floor and stick construction above (in East Liberty, Bloomfield, South Side Flats, etc).

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM

3,718 posts, read 3,571,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
I would say Pgh falls under Vancouverism.
1000% yes. Oakland through east liberty along the Baum Centre corridor is that description to a T.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 PM

611 posts, read 435,982 times
Lol, every one sees Vancouver in their city because that is the ' it ' development pattern right now.

What would you classify New Orleans? It's business district is structurally dense but outside the district there are not really any towers.

I would say it is a mild Brusselization with elements of Manhattanization.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
The typical slab-on-podium of the Sunbelt isn't really Vancouver.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Lol, every one sees Vancouver in their city because that is the ' it ' development pattern right now.

What would you classify New Orleans? It's business district is structurally dense but outside the district there are not really any towers.

I would say it is a mild Brusselization with elements of Manhattanization.
The city itself has no major business districts outside of the CBD. You will find a few few midrises in Metairie near the lake, though.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 PM

5,885 posts, read 2,737,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Unfortunately, Houston is Brusselization without the Brussels. I agree there should be a name change.

How many cities can do what Miami is currently doing?
In Miami-Dade County, one of the most prominent and effective means of managing growth is the urban development boundary (UDB) that was established in 1975:

https://miamigeographic.files.wordpr...pg?w=470&h=470

The UDB is a zoning tool that restricts certain types and densities of real estate development in the western and southern parts of the county, where ecologically-sensitive lands like the Everglades ecosystems, water conservation areas, and agricultural activities are located.

https://miamigeographic.files.wordpr...pg?w=470&h=608
^Agricultural Land-Use in Miami-Dade. Source: Matthew Toro. 2014.

The UDB was established as part of the 1975 land-use map of the countyís Comprehensive Development Master Plan (CDMP). It was officially incorporated into the countyís CDMP in 1983.

Itís one of the most controversial regional zoning mechanisms currently in effect.

We should all better acquaint ourselves with the UDB. Itís quite arguably the most important line thatís ever been drawn on the map of greater metropolitan Miami.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 AM

470 posts, read 287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Just because high-rises are being built in different corners of town doesn't mean that the build pattern necessarily is randomized/un-ordered. You will never know the complete picture, until the puzzle is complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.