U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:55 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,718,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
That seems strange to me that you would say, "most people who are against diversity are racist." I recently spoke to any African American family I grew up with and they were trying to find a place to rent in San Antonio. I helped do a little research and gave them a few options. They immediately ruled out one area because they said there was to many Hispanics and they would prefer to be around other African Americans. Does that make them racist? I don't think so. I think they just want to be around more African Americans. Another friend I knew from the Army was Asian and he didn't want to live in a certain area because there were too many African Americans, he wanted to live around other Asians. He's not a racist, he has friends of all origins.

Even for me personally, I've lived and traveled many parts of the world (Middle East and Asia) and actually grew up in a majority African American area of south Atlanta. But the most recent place I moved I wanted it to be majority, if not all white. Am I a racist? No, I just feel more comfortable around people like me. So according to you, myself and the other two I mentioned would be racist, because we are essentially "against diversity", correct? My point is, why are people labeled as racist or bigots when they are looking for places to move that aren't diverse? Why cant it just be acceptable for people to live around others like them and not be labeled?
Perfectly stated. People naturally feel more comfortable around others who are like them. It doesn't make them intolerant of others, however. I live in an integrated city with some neighborhoods that are very diverse (such as mine), and some neighborhoods are not diverse at all.

I stated this in another thread today, but I learned when researching neighborhoods, schools, cities, etc. that when people say "diverse", they just mean "not too white". An area that is majority of any one race or ethnicity is by definition not diverse, but it is only considered not diverse if it is "white people". The thing is, there is a great deal of diversity within races, from economic diversity to cultural diversity. Assuming all white people are the same culture or ethnic background is, well, racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
^I don't think that last part is true in a couple of ways. One, if a place is overwhelmingly of a non White group, it still isn't diverse. However, you can have a place be a majority of a group and still be diverse or have at least a "decent" degree of diversity.

I will also say that finding neighborhoods for the larger culture in this country is largely a given in pretty much any metro area in this country. So, it honestly wouldn't take much to find a neighborhood for those of the larger/largest culture.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM

31 posts, read 24,447 times
The main reason I moved to a more European area was the food. Wanted more of an organic type scene with fresh produce, and a variety of restaurants I enjoyed. (Diet is more high fat since I do worse on carbs). I can see why certain cultures tend to stay with one another. Also wanted more access to ice hockey facilities and I can't get that in many cities.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM

972 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post

I go to a very diverse university and when I walk around and look at the people it's always the same thing, whites with whites, blacks with blacks, asians with asians and so on and so forth. If diversity truly mattered wouldn't it be more common to see groups of different ethnicity, sexual orientation, or political views together? I've seen people trash other cities because it "lacks diversity", but if we never venture away from our own "kind" does it even really matter how diverse a city is? What do you all think?
That is EXACTLY my experiences too! I mean sometimes there are interracial couples but that's it! I think it's also kinda superficial to be judging someone based of their genetics/looks. BUT I do like to have a variety of food around! But I learn a little more interested into European foods so I'm kinda outta luck a little.... Im actually kinda looking forward to when this racial diversity fad will die off.... But I mean if you really like a certain culture I don't see an issue wanting to live around it. I just feel like it's a "progressive" person fad, and they don't seem to practice what they preach. Colombia city here in Seattle is an area that is in gentrification, so there's lots of "hipsters" there and lots of Africans. But when I go there I NEVER see them with each other, they are always separate. Expect for again the occasionally interracial coupples.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:06 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
I'm Asian, so yeah, it's important to me. It doesn't have to be California or Northeast diverse, but areas with 2% Asians just don't work for me. Small ranching town in rural America aren't meant for Asians.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times
People keep saying that it's "natural" to prefer to be around your own race, yet there have been studies which determined that racial bias is learned and thus not innate.

New Evidence That Racism Isn't 'Natural' - The Atlantic

So, yeah, most of us do prefer to be around our "own", but that is largely due to the segregated culture of our nation; not biological reasons.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Perfectly stated. People naturally feel more comfortable around others who are like them. It doesn't make them intolerant of others, however. I live in an integrated city with some neighborhoods that are very diverse (such as mine), and some neighborhoods are not diverse at all.

I stated this in another thread today, but I learned when researching neighborhoods, schools, cities, etc. that when people say "diverse", they just mean "not too white". An area that is majority of any one race or ethnicity is by definition not diverse, but it is only considered not diverse if it is "white people". The thing is, there is a great deal of diversity within races, from economic diversity to cultural diversity. Assuming all white people are the same culture or ethnic background is, well, racist.
The difference is the fact that the U.S. itself is around 65% white. "Diversity" in this context would be cities with demographics that deviate from the norm. Atlanta does this. Seattle not so much.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,371,583 times
"Diverse" is too much of a broad-brush description. There are some diverse demographic spreads that I would prefer to others. Do I want diversity at the cost of dealing with lots of hostility toward me for my group membership(s)? No. Do I want diversity if it means there is no overarching culture and I am constantly having to adjust to knew cultural standards? I don't think so. I have enough trouble following the norms of one culture.

Sure, if you want to just talk about music and food, and some different varieties of appearance, I tend to have liberal cosmopolitan tastes. But intellectually, I am increasingly dubious about the glorification of diversity as such. And I've had some pretty bad experience with certain types of "diversity."

A contrarian take on diversity, which draws on the work of a liberal sociologist, Robert Putnam, who was not pleased with the results of some of his own research:

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...mented-future/

Old 08-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
"Diverse" is too much of a broad-brush description. There are some diverse demographic spreads that I would prefer to others. Do I want diversity at the cost of dealing with lots of hostility toward me for my group membership(s)? No. Do I want diversity if it means there is no overarching culture and I am constantly having to adjust to knew cultural standards? I don't think so. I have enough trouble following the norms of one culture.

Sure, if you want to just talk about music and food, and some different varieties of appearance, I tend to have liberal cosmopolitan tastes. But intellectually, I am increasingly dubious about the glorification of diversity as such. And I've had some pretty bad experience with certain types of "diversity."

A contrarian take on diversity, which draws on the work of a liberal sociologist, Robert Putnam, who was not pleased with the results of some of his own research:

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...mented-future/
^From a nonpartisan source, as well

Fearmongers have a laundry list of excuses against diversity, and I find that most of their ideas will just lead us right back to the 1960s.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,371,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The difference is the fact that the U.S. itself is around 65% white. "Diversity" in this context would be cities with demographics that deviate from the norm. Atlanta does this. Seattle not so much.
Wait, so a city has to deviate from the national statistical norm to be diverse? I thought America itself was diverse and diversity is our strength, and so on.

So when people want diversity they want a city which does not reflect America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.