U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:13 AM

56,875 posts, read 81,216,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
This is a great example! EVERY minority I have came across with uses diversity as an excuse for more of "their" kind. It's so weird to me it's like it's mainly a white person thing to go on about actually wanting less of their OWN kind around.

I agree with what someone said about diversity is a push to compensate minority's for having minor roles in society. But I feel likes it just quotas now, and a racially obsessed society.

Anyways, what happenes now? Will we all blend and become one race, with the same culture, all speaking English? I feel like there will come a point, it might even be now, then when the ethnicies get to about equal percentages they all start to become "clannish". At least that's how it was in my area. On the superficial level everyone gets along okay tho. But there is a lack of community and everyone is kinda separate. Racist jokes/ racial talks are talked about in private not aloud like when there is a clear majority. If there is a by far a majority it's like the minority will accept and become part of the majority.

So what is the future like? Will everyone blend and become one? With all the talk about the "Evil white" people will all the POC want their own land? Will we all be given quotas for schools, work, tv programming, and STONG anti freedom of speech about races/cultures? Will everyone forget about racial and cultural differences? What happens?
In terms of the overcompensation, I think it is in the spirit of righting a wrong, in a sense. Quotas, double standards, etc., are dare I say, a long time part of American(US) society. Freedom and captivity were/are a part of the socio-historical narrative. So, now human beings are trying to find ways to provide full fledged freedom for the greater society and set the stage for the diversity that has always been here to interact organically. This is due to the fact that the things put in place are actually quite new even by American standards when looking at history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 AM

4,894 posts, read 3,015,436 times
Quote:
This is a great example! EVERY minority I have came across with uses diversity as an excuse for more of "their" kind. It's so weird to me it's like it's mainly a white person thing to go on about actually wanting less of their OWN kind around.

I agree with what someone said about diversity is a push to compensate minority's for having minor roles in society. But I feel likes it just quotas now, and a racially obsessed society.

Anyways, what happenes now? Will we all blend and become one race, with the same culture, all speaking English? I feel like there will come a point, it might even be now, then when the ethnicies get to about equal percentages they all start to become "clannish". At least that's how it was in my area. On the superficial level everyone gets along okay tho. But there is a lack of community and everyone is kinda separate. Racist jokes/ racial talks are talked about in private not aloud like when there is a clear majority. If there is a by far a majority it's like the minority will accept and become part of the majority.

So what is the future like? Will everyone blend and become one? With all the talk about the "Evil white" people will all the POC want their own land? Will we all be given quotas for schools, work, tv programming, and STONG anti freedom of speech about races/cultures? Will everyone forget about racial and cultural differences? What happens?
I don't blame white people wanting to be around other whites. I love white people though, most of my friends are white. Dated more white women than any other race, tbh. Hope I didn't offend you. I love white people.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,177,286 times
Quote:
What is great about diversity? Give 3 good factual reasons. Not an opinion like I like the different foods, or I get to "hear" different oppinions. 3 factual things that make logical sense. And don't give me a source from the huffington post or whatever, I want to hear YOU give me 3 factual reasons about why we need diversity.

And no racial diversity doesn't mean you get exposed to different view points.
I didn't said there was necessarily anything great about diversity in all cases or that it's something we should be fighting for. But just because you're afraid of it doesn't mean I have to be.

I agreek with ckh that it is something that should only happen organically, and it will happen whether you want it to or not.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 AM

31 posts, read 24,533 times
Quote:
The horrors of diversity can be seen from Yugoslavia all the way to Malaysia, threw Africa and even to an extent in America. Diversity is a personal preference and I don't remember Americans voting for it. "Diversity makes us strong" is just hypocritical and contradictive as one of the Olympic lines of something similar to "we are all united in the competition". I feel some people are just really out of touch from reality, I would kinda say your nughty nuts, not practical at all, and/or naive and probably ignorant too.
Historically when a minority is on way to becoming a majority, civil war usually ensues causing nations to split. Many examples in history. Yugoslavia becomes Serbia and other nations based on demographics. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh split among demographics and religion. Ukraine split among Orthodox and Catholic. One country to look out for in the near future will be France and Brazil.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:33 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,709,634 times
Quote:
The horrors of diversity can be seen from Yugoslavia all the way to Malaysia, threw Africa and even to an extent in America. Diversity is a personal preference and I don't remember Americans voting for it. "Diversity makes us strong" is just hypocritical and contradictive as one of the Olympic lines of something similar to "we are all united in the competition". I feel some people are just really out of touch from reality, I would kinda say your nughty nuts, not practical at all, and/or naive and probably ignorant too.
I'm german, Irish, African American, Brazilian, and a little bit Danish. My sister is half Mexican half German and her boyfriend is Polish. My best friend is from Australia, my other good friends are an Indian-American who is Hindu, a Jewish guy, a black guy from LA(dominican), a gay guy from Orange County, and a beach blonde girl from Scottsdale. The person I'm dating is Irish-American and is atheist (I'm episcopalian). I can speak German, English, and Spanish. I have an open view of the world and people in general. For me, diversity has made me who I am and I wouldn't have it any other way. Listen, I could care less if people like you choose to stick to their own/don't want diversity....but I also think it's important that those same people don't scoff and attack those who chose to embrace diversity.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 714,484 times
I've lived in very diverse areas as well as non diverse. It doesn't really matter to me.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:51 PM

795 posts, read 1,058,375 times
Maybe I'll stop scoffing when diversity actually becomes about respecting everyone and not just looking at people's skin color (and being code for discriminating against white people).

Diversity is so much more than skin color.

Everyone has different skills and different opportunities and different ideas. Nobody has the exact same experience.

The choice isn't diversity or not diversity.

It's whether we are going to view people as individuals or as groups.

In the end, I really don't care if other people do or don't embrace "diversity" because, as Americans, we are all free people and can associate with whom we want. That's why a lot of immigrants come here. That's why a lot of citizens love being Americans.

We can make these choices for ourselves and it really doesn't matter what our neighbors think. If you don't like the people where you live, then you can move more in-line with your values. You don't need to apply to the government to do move.

I think diversity is over-rated because the culture has made everyone so scared to say the wrong thing. That makes all of us less free.

I mean, the lady who saw the San Bernardino killer stockpiling weapons was afraid to say something because she didn't want to be labeled a racist. So a lot of people died - needlessly- because she didn't want to call the cops and say "something funny is going on down the block."

I'd like to think that my neighbors would call out a potential danger in the neighborhood instead of being scared of being called a racist.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:18 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,389,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I mean, the lady who saw the San Bernardino killer stockpiling weapons was afraid to say something because she didn't want to be labeled a racist. So a lot of people died - needlessly- because she didn't want to call the cops and say "something funny is going on down the block."

I'd like to think that my neighbors would call out a potential danger in the neighborhood instead of being scared of being called a racist.
Related:

Quote:
The sexual abuse of about 1,400 children at the hands of Asian men went unreported for 16 years because staff feared they would be seen as racist, a report said today.

Children as young as 11 were trafficked, beaten, and raped by large numbers of men between 1997 and 2013 in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, the council commissioned review into child protection revealed.

And shockingly, more than a third of the cases were already know to agencies.

But according to the report's author: 'several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought racist'.
Racism fears stopped social workers saving children from sexual exploitation from Asian men in ONE TOWN | Daily Mail Online

(Just as an aside: I don't believe the official story of the San Bernardino attacks.)

Old 08-07-2016, 04:14 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,177,286 times
I don't think it proves anything by cherry picking incidents from other countries. You will never hear about American black men escaping punishment for widespread child abuse because someone feared being labeled a racist.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:18 PM

1,265 posts, read 833,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Maybe I'll stop scoffing when diversity actually becomes about respecting everyone and not just looking at people's skin color (and being code for discriminating against white people).

I think diversity is over-rated because the culture has made everyone so scared to say the wrong thing. That makes all of us less free.
I agree with these two points. I feel that diversity in America is just a different way of saying white vs everyone else. Example - I was called a racist because I said I want to live around just white people. Truth is, I have no problem with any races or ethnicity I just prefer to live around white people. Whats so wrong with that? However, if a black, hispanic, asian, etc say they want to live around there own kind it's perfectly acceptable and not racist at all.

And to the other point. I feel that as a white person I can't bring up a single thing about another race without being labeled a racist. But on the other hand, other races can freely joke about white people and its just fun and games. I'm just tried of the double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.