U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM

625 posts, read 383,305 times

Advertisements

People who want a "diverse" place to live often want the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 829,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I wanted a straw man retort from you and that's what I got!

You see, I never said that media misrepresentation was the main cause of blacks' problems. You were crying about your perceived unfair treatment, so I provided some proof of my unfair treatment.

The article was spot on, but you're simply afraid to admit the truth in it.
The article was complete liberal garbage (which I would expect from The Guardian)

The sooner blacks stop blaming others for their actions and problems the sooner they can wake up an realize they have the same opportunities as everyone else in this country. You're the one who's simply afraid to admit the truth.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:54 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,407,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
The article was complete liberal garbage (which I would expect from The Guardian)

The sooner blacks stop blaming others for their actions and problems the sooner they can wake up an realize they have the same opportunities as everyone else in this country. You're the one who's simply afraid to admit the truth.
We are talking about centuries of discrimination in the legal, political and economic realm against African-Americans. This discrimination did not end with slavery as much as people like to think it did and the lasting impact of Jim Crow and countless other related government policies on the federal, state and local level is not going to simply disappear in a few decades. Entire communities were denied access to quality education, housing, legal protection and employment for generations and generations i.e. blacks being barred from higher paying union jobs, red lining, urban renewal, the Federal Highway Act etc. Try to imagine how this could impact the culture and well-being of communities.

Furthermore mandatory minimum sentencing, voter ID laws, disparities in arrests for drug offenses (yet evidence that usage rates between racial group is virtually the same), mortgage discrimination etc. are all well-documented contemporary examples.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
We are talking about centuries of discrimination in the legal, political and economic realm against African-Americans. This discrimination did not end with slavery as much as people like to think it did and the lasting impact of Jim Crow and countless other related government policies on the federal, state and local level is not going to simply disappear in a few decades. Entire communities were denied access to quality education, housing, legal protection and employment for generations and generations i.e. blacks being barred from higher paying union jobs, red lining, urban renewal, the Federal Highway Act etc. Try to imagine how this could impact the culture and well-being of communities.

Furthermore mandatory minimum sentencing, voter ID laws, disparities in arrests for drug offenses (yet evidence that usage rates between racial group is virtually the same), mortgage discrimination etc. are all well-documented contemporary examples.
I don't even waste my time with people that think like him. I simply don't have the energy or the patience.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 829,516 times
Of course, bring up things that happened decades and even centuries ago. It's 2016, yes horrible things happened to African Americans in the past, but I could say the same thing about my ancestors as well. But the past is the PAST, why dwell on it? White, black, Mexican, whatever...everyone has the same opportunities. And don't even get my started on this "white privilege" BS.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Of course, bring up things that happened decades and even centuries ago. It's 2016, yes horrible things happened to African Americans in the past, but I could say the same thing about my ancestors as well. But the past is the PAST, why dwell on it? White, black, Mexican, whatever...everyone has the same opportunities. And don't even get my started on this "white privilege" BS.
You actually think that an elaborate, interrelated constellation of destructive policies that negatively impacted Blacks are simply "past events" that have no bearing on the present whatsoever. It's extremely hard to take a person seriously who thinks this simplistically.

Funny how you say you said in your original post that you weren't trying to turn this into an ethical/political issue, yet here we are. It was pretty easy to smell your agenda from the beginning.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:59 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,170,205 times
Quote:

From the article:

Quote:
Bas W van Doorn at the College of Wooster in Ohio, analyzed images that ran with about 474 domestic US poverty-related stories in Time, Newsweek and US News and World Report from 1992 to 2010. In the images that ran alongside those stories in print, black people were overrepresented, appearing in more than half of the images, despite the fact that they made up only a quarter of people existing below the poverty line during that time frame.
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that blacks are responsible for this?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:02 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,170,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't even waste my time with people that think like him. I simply don't have the energy or the patience.
I'm very bored.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:25 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
In my opinion these things contradict each other. People preach and preach about how diversity is so great, but if it's so great then it shouldn't matter what the best city for blacks, asians, gay, conservative, etc, etc are right?
Sorry, I'm failing to see how those two things contradict each other.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,407,271 times
Quote:
Did you read my post? I referenced current policies that are systematically biased towards African-Americans.

Also just because something happened two or three decades ago does not mean it will not have a LASTING IMPACT. You honestly think when Jim Crow ended blacks were magically made equal and no lingering affects occurred from large-scale state sponsored segregation and discrimination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.