Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Less important to me as I grow older...quality of schools are more important. We're an interracial/international family so are diverse as-is. Main thing for me in next place I live is diversity in food choices...more international restaurants and fewer American chains.
To be honest, it is just getting to the point where you can't really run from it and you can find some degree of cultural diversity just about anywhere now.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, food is usually one of the things people refer to in regards to diversity, which is really a loaded term that is usually referring to variety of cultures.

Lastly, I don't even know how this even came about, as I haven't seen where the OP or someone else was messed with in regards to a living preference in relation to the makeup of the neighborhood. Especially given that a poster has offered living advice/suggestions without any mention of race or culture to the OP.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2016 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
However, as you can see from the poll results almost 50% of respondents don't care about diversity at all.
Most Americans don't have diverse social networks. And most Americans are not a member of any minority group. So that's not terribly surprising.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Iam not PC, and have no desire for diversity.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Political correctness will be the downfall of this nation. In the 1950s, Georgians could say what was really on their minds, and they were stronger for it.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Political correctness will be the downfall of this nation. In the 1950s, Georgians could say what was really on their minds, and they were stronger for it.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What do you want?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM

My experiences with diversity. I've had mainly good experiences with diversity. I've been in diverse crowds, never had a problem. For me, diverse has never meant "I want more of my kind". For me, it has meant a variety of people. For me, it meant inclusion.

I will mention this. As far back as my teenage years, I would think to myself "I want to leave the southern USA. Too much racism here". I was dealing with alot of racism in high school. I still live in Georgia today(some events have meant that I stay). I had a thing of "go west young man". I often imagined "I could live here". However, when I started noticing that certain places had very small Black populations, I started to wonder "why is this"? Part of me wondered if there were tiiny Black populations in certain places because perhaps Blacks weren't really welcome there. Part of me, but most of me started thinking "can't be any worse than what I'm going through here in the outskirts of metro Atlanta" and the Deep South has a very entrenched history of racism.

I could see myself living in many places that just happen to not have large Black populations. However, there has been a moment where I thought "will I be accepted here? will I be treated with the same love and respect that I'm going to show others"? I did sometimes ask "how many Blacks live here"? Really, what I wanted to ask was "will I be accepted". Acceptance is of importance to me. Whether or not there are a certain number of people of my ethnicity in a certain place, well, I keep an open mind. I just want that open mind to be reciprocated.

There is going to be racism everywhere. It's a world wide problem. However, I don't want that to be something I think about when I decide I want to move somewhere. My two priorities when it comes to people: Acceptance and Safety. Will I be safe living here, and will I be accepted?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Political correctness will be the downfall of this nation.
Definitely going to be a large part of it. The majority of Americans are sick of it.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What do you want?
That's a very broad question.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
That's a very broad question.
You said you don't want diversity. In response, I asked what is it that you want if diversity is something you don't want? I thought that was self-explanatory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.