Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 06:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,741,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Wait, so a city has to deviate from the national statistical norm to be diverse? I thought America itself was diverse and diversity is our strength, and so on.

So when people want diversity they want a city which does not reflect America?
Not necessarily, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,906,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
^From a nonpartisan source, as well

Fearmongers have a laundry list of excuses against diversity, and I find that most of their ideas will just lead us right back to the 1960s.
They aren't excuses. They are reasons some people are less than enthusiastic about diversity. There are down sides to diversity (or at least to some types of diversity). I can't believe it's so shocking to say that at this point.

I am very liberal on economic issues and on most social issues, and left on foreign policy (although that seems to overlap a lot with libertarian or even paleo-conservative points of view), but in my opinion American Conservative often has very thoughtful, well-written material. Open partisanship is better than faux objectivity (e.g., the New York Times).

Old 08-06-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
They aren't excuses. They are reasons some people are less than enthusiastic about diversity. There are down sides to diversity (or at least to some types of diversity). I can't believe it's so shocking to say that at this point.

I am a liberal on economic issues and on most social issues, and left on foreign policy (although that seems to overlap a lot with libertarian or even paleo-conservative points of view), but in my opinion American Conservative often has very thoughtful, well-written material. Open partisanship is better than faux objectivity (e.g., the New York Times).
According to some and only based on what we know so far as a nation that has always had unnecessary racial strife. Future generations will grow up in communities far more diverse and integrated than ours. Who is to say that our problems will be theirs?

For the record, I've lived in diverse places and non-diverse places. In going from one to the other, there was no change in the way I interacted with my community. People are people to me.

Some folks are just more open minded and knowledgeable than others. That's the whole issue in a nutshell, if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
That is EXACTLY my experiences too! I mean sometimes there are interracial couples but that's it! I think it's also kinda superficial to be judging someone based of their genetics/looks. BUT I do like to have a variety of food around! But I learn a little more interested into European foods so I'm kinda outta luck a little.... Im actually kinda looking forward to when this racial diversity fad will die off.... But I mean if you really like a certain culture I don't see an issue wanting to live around it. I just feel like it's a "progressive" person fad, and they don't seem to practice what they preach. Colombia city here in Seattle is an area that is in gentrification, so there's lots of "hipsters" there and lots of Africans. But when I go there I NEVER see them with each other, they are always separate. Expect for again the occasionally interracial coupples.
These are both great points and I feel 100% the same way. I feel like the whole push for racial diversity is just a fad that people are being forced into not because they truly want diversity (not to be confused with equal rights), but because they don't want to be labeled as an evil racist bigot, which they they surely will be if they speak against diversity.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
These are both great points and I feel 100% the same way. I feel like the whole push for racial diversity is just a fad that people are being forced into not because they truly want diversity (not to be confused with equal rights), but because they don't want to be labeled as an evil racist bigot, which they they surely will be if they speak against diversity.
I won't say these people are necessarily evil or racist. Parochial and misanthropic? Sure.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:31 PM

92,088 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
I won't say these people are necessarily evil or racist. Parochial and misanthropic? Sure.
Or may lack information, as I think a lot of people may think that diversity is a new thing in the US, when it has always been "diverse" to some degree.

I also think the push may be due to so much history about people of color being buried and going unnoticed for so long, which goes hand in hand with the lack of information. There may be this feeling of this is "our" country without recognizing that other types of people helped to build this same country. So, you may view this as a form of overcompensation due to the previous lack of recognition of other from the larger cultural group.

If people just started in the beginning with giving credit where credit is due historically, then the "push" for diversity wouldn't feel like such a big deal. So, in this case, you could even view this as a residual effect and aspect of racism that permeates the whole society. Meaning, if true opportunity exists, things will occur organically.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 PM

610 posts, read 528,327 times
I recently found this map on another forum here. It's pretty remarkable, one dot for each person in the 2010 US census, over 308 million in all, color-coded by race.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person | Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service

This makes it very easy to see the racial/ethnic composition of any neighborhood---and possibly save some uncomfortable or embarrassing questions when people are looking for a place to settle that might be amenable to them. Although many minorities don't seem very uncomfortable about it, but white folks might.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:24 AM

977 posts, read 1,004,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm Asian, so yeah, it's important to me. It doesn't have to be California or Northeast diverse, but areas with 2% Asians just don't work for me. Small ranching town in rural America aren't meant for Asians.
This is a great example! EVERY minority I have came across with uses diversity as an excuse for more of "their" kind. It's so weird to me it's like it's mainly a white person thing to go on about actually wanting less of their OWN kind around.

I agree with what someone said about diversity is a push to compensate minority's for having minor roles in society. But I feel likes it just quotas now, and a racially obsessed society.

Anyways, what happenes now? Will we all blend and become one race, with the same culture, all speaking English? I feel like there will come a point, it might even be now, then when the ethnicies get to about equal percentages they all start to become "clannish". At least that's how it was in my area. On the superficial level everyone gets along okay tho. But there is a lack of community and everyone is kinda separate. Racist jokes/ racial talks are talked about in private not aloud like when there is a clear majority. If there is a by far a majority it's like the minority will accept and become part of the majority.

So what is the future like? Will everyone blend and become one? With all the talk about the "Evil white" people will all the POC want their own land? Will we all be given quotas for schools, work, tv programming, and STONG anti freedom of speech about races/cultures? Will everyone forget about racial and cultural differences? What happens?

Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
What is great about diversity? Give 3 good factual reasons. Not an opinion like I like the different foods, or I get to "hear" different oppinions. 3 factual things that make logical sense. And don't give me a source from the huffington post or whatever, I want to hear YOU give me 3 factual reasons about why we need diversity.

And no racial diversity doesn't mean you get exposed to different view points.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 AM

The horrors of diversity can be seen from Yugoslavia all the way to Malaysia, threw Africa and even to an extent in America. Diversity is a personal preference and I don't remember Americans voting for it. "Diversity makes us strong" is just hypocritical and contradictive as one of the Olympic lines of something similar to "we are all united in the competition". I feel some people are just really out of touch from reality, I would kinda say your nughty nuts, not practical at all, and/or naive and probably ignorant too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.