U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 832,337 times

Advertisements

This isn't meant to be a negative thread but I'm curious as to what others think. I have noticed a lot of recent threads that are along the lines of, "What is the best city for an (African American, Asian American, American Indian, Middle Eastern, Gay, Conservative, Liberal, etc, etc). However, I see a lot of, "best city for me" threads and so many people are dead set on wanting to live in a diverse area.

In my opinion these things contradict each other. People preach and preach about how diversity is so great, but if it's so great then it shouldn't matter what the best city for blacks, asians, gay, conservative, etc, etc are right?

I'm not trying to turn this into a ethical/political issue at all. I just want to know how important diversity is to you when you are decided where to call home.

I go to a very diverse university and when I walk around and look at the people it's always the same thing, whites with whites, blacks with blacks, asians with asians and so on and so forth. If diversity truly mattered wouldn't it be more common to see groups of different ethnicity, sexual orientation, or political views together? I've seen people trash other cities because it "lacks diversity", but if we never venture away from our own "kind" does it even really matter how diverse a city is? What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM

56,846 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
This isn't meant to be a negative thread but I'm curious as to what others think. I have noticed a lot of recent threads that are along the lines of, "What is the best city for an (African American, Asian American, American Indian, Middle Eastern, Gay, Conservative, Liberal, etc, etc). However, I see a lot of, "best city for me" threads and so many people are dead set on wanting to live in a diverse area.

In my opinion these things contradict each other. People preach and preach about how diversity is so great, but if it's so great then it shouldn't matter what the best city for blacks, asians, gay, conservative, etc, etc are right?

I'm not trying to turn this into a ethical/political issue at all. I just want to know how important diversity is to you when you are decided where to call home.

I go to a very diverse university and when I walk around and look at the people its always the same thing whites with whites, blacks with blacks, asians with asians and so on and so forth. If diversity truly mattered wouldn't it be more common to see groups of different ethnicity, sexual orientation, or political views together? I've seen people trash other cities because it "lacks diversity", but if we never venture away from our own "kind" does it even really matter how diverse a city is? What do you all think?
Keep in mind that diversity and integration aren't the same, as a city can be diverse, but it also could be segregated.

I also believe that people that want diversity may want it for various reasons from not experiencing previously to being use to being in a diverse environment to comfort aspects.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,324,431 times
I don't care that much about diversity. However, it's nice having access to ethnic restaurants and grocery stores.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 AM

56,846 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't care that much about diversity. However, it's nice having access to ethnic restaurants and grocery stores.
This is definitely another reason behind the search of a diverse community.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 AM

432 posts, read 358,011 times
I don't care if the neighborhood or city that I live in is not diverse. BUT I do care if I live in a place that is adverse to diversity.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I don't care if the neighborhood or city that I live in is not diverse. BUT I do care if I live in a place that is adverse to diversity.
Why is that? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 AM

432 posts, read 358,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Why is that? If you don't mind me asking.
I feel like most people who are against diversity are racist. Why you would care if someone of a different skin color or religion moved into your neighborhood is beyond me. I don't want to live in a city where people are not willing to accept different cultures like areas of the rural midwest/south. Having said that...if I like a neighborhood, I like a neighborhood...demographics won't turn me away. For instance, if I could afford to live in the upper east side or Malibu I would regardless of the fact that they are pretty mono racial.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM

2,882 posts, read 4,624,007 times
I moved from a diverse place to a racially homogeneous place years ago, and I would never do it again.

Racism and prejudice exist everywhere. Everywhere. I'd hear shocking things in NYC. But in diversity, on the day-to-day, there is that acknowledgment if not true knowledge of "the other" that buffers us in the social swirl. Fewer silent glances and return glances at something culturally different. Fewer dumb and possibly incendiary questions, cordial or not. Less recoil about foods--should be innocuous but IRL from cloying to infuriating. Basically it just feels more chill to me, and that matters in daily life even when people verbally volunteer, unprompted LOL, that race doesn't.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I feel like most people who are against diversity are racist. Why you would care if someone of a different skin color or religion moved into your neighborhood is beyond me. I don't want to live in a city where people are not willing to accept different cultures like areas of the rural midwest/south. Having said that...if I like a neighborhood, I like a neighborhood...demographics won't turn me away. For instance, if I could afford to live in the upper east side or Malibu I would regardless of the fact that they are pretty mono racial.
That seems strange to me that you would say, "most people who are against diversity are racist." I recently spoke to any African American family I grew up with and they were trying to find a place to rent in San Antonio. I helped do a little research and gave them a few options. They immediately ruled out one area because they said there was to many Hispanics and they would prefer to be around other African Americans. Does that make them racist? I don't think so. I think they just want to be around more African Americans. Another friend I knew from the Army was Asian and he didn't want to live in a certain area because there were too many African Americans, he wanted to live around other Asians. He's not a racist, he has friends of all origins.

Even for me personally, I've lived and traveled many parts of the world (Middle East and Asia) and actually grew up in a majority African American area of south Atlanta. But the most recent place I moved I wanted it to be majority, if not all white. Am I a racist? No, I just feel more comfortable around people like me. So according to you, myself and the other two I mentioned would be racist, because we are essentially "against diversity", correct? My point is, why are people labeled as racist or bigots when they are looking for places to move that aren't diverse? Why cant it just be acceptable for people to live around others like them and not be labeled?

Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,409,763 times
I do want to live in a city/neighborhood that is LGBT friendly and has a sizable gay population. It doesn't need to be West Hollywood or Fire Island but I enjoy being able to go out to dinner with my boyfriend without feeling uncomfortable that we are on a date in public. This would factor largely in my decision to live or not live in a city. My best friends are straight and regularly accompany me to the gay bar. So it's less about isolating myself in a gay ghetto and more about general acceptance.

In terms of racial diversity I don't necessarily care one way or another. I'd obviously prefer to live in a city/area that doesn't have overt racial tension or discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.