U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM

470 posts, read 286,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, my favorite city in Texas is Galveston, so that might tell you what I think of Florida...But if Texas had an answer for Miami, I'd most likely never consider leaving the state.
Would that be Brownsville/South Padre (in the advent of a population explosion), or Houston/Baytown/Galveston (in the advent of advanced technology to crystallize the water).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,516,044 times
TX has a lot of merits going for it, but I personally prefer FL. I love being on the east, FL's beaches are wonderful, tons of recreational assets.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Would that be Brownsville/South Padre (in the advent of a population explosion), or Houston/Baytown/Galveston (in the advent of advanced technology to crystallize the water).
Neither. Houston can't be anything except Houston and, even if Brownsville were to explode in population it would still be too dry for me.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:52 PM

18,632 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
no

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Neither. Houston can't be anything except Houston and, even if Brownsville were to explode in population it would still be too dry for me.
I'll say this. If Houston was across the Bay from Galveston Island, I feel that this area would easily be Texas most impressive and dynamic metro. Galveston Island would be Miami Beach to the city across the bay. Perhaps imagine Downtown Houston where Texas city is at now. The weather would be more tolerable. More breezes off the sea and the temp rarely gets to 100. In fact, although looking at Accuweather which I don't hold as high as NWS, the highest temp so far in Texas city is 92. Pretty much like Miami.

Last edited by Spade; 08-04-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
While annual precipitation in Brownsville is very low, humidity is very high, and all that moisture in the air helps to counteract evapotranspiration. Thus, the landscape won't really look too dry (at least, not as much as inland areas in Texas). Also, temps are very moderate; it is rare to see 100F, even with such dryness.

With that said, Corpus Christi has its downtown right on the bay, looking into the Gulf, and it is a wetter city than Brownsville (but much less wet than Houston). What if that were to explode in population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'll say this. If Houston was across the Bay from Galveston Island, I feel that this area would easily be Texas most impressive and dynamic metro. Galveston Island would be Miami Beach to the city across the bay. Perhaps imagine Downtown Houston where Texas city is at now. The weather would be more tolerable. More breezes off the sea and the temp rarely gets to 100. In fact, although looking at Accuweather which I don't hold as high as NWS, the highest temp so far in Texas city is 92. Pretty much like Miami.
A more coastal location would cool off the climate. The Texas Coast is actually quite moderate in temperature, despite the state's reputation for temp extremes. The city would be more dynamic. In fact, this might have been the original intention of the settlers; the Galveston area was poised to be large and bustling, but the 1900 Hurricane changed that.

Dynamic interaction with the coast can still be had, though. Places like Kemah, Texas City, La Porte, Baytown, Seabrook, etc, can grow to accommodate a tourist population, especially once Galveston Bay is returned to more pristine levels via clean up from industry (more a problem for Baytown and Texas City, less so for Kemah and Seabrook). Those Galveston Bay areas can then provide dynamic interaction with Galveston .... or Galveston can expand in territory from the island to include those Galveston Bay areas; either one works. Houston itself will need rail that connects to those locations (there were commuter rail lines from the city to Galveston Island in the past, but not anymore). In the end, you get a relationship with the coast that is similar to LA's relationship with the Pacific (in logistic terms).

Old 08-04-2016, 10:15 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Neither Brownsville or Corpus are as lush as Miami is.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Neither Brownsville or Corpus are as lush as Miami is.
That has more to do with lack of prosperity in those cities than with the climate. Those cities (especially Brownsville) are quite poor, and, thus, can't afford fancy landscaping plants like places in Florida can.

Although both cities don't have the rainfall that Miami does, they do have the humidity/low-level moisture, which minimizes evapotranspiration stress on plants. As a result, you will see live oaks like this near Corpus (Goose Island):

And, desalination of the Gulf can provide both cities all the water they need.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 AM

1,004 posts, read 600,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes it would, but since the Texas coast as a whole is far more industrial in nature than anywhere in Florida, I would think it would be more like Tampa (which is a busy port city and historically had way more industry due to nearby phosphate mining) than Miami. Just an observation

Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Yes it would, but since the Texas coast as a whole is far more industrial in nature than anywhere in Florida, I would think it would be more like Tampa (which is a busy port city and historically had way more industry due to nearby phosphate mining) than Miami. Just an observation
Well yeah true. It would be more Tampa than Miami. I was just looking at it from a weather perspective but even then, Miami is tropical and Houston even where Texas City is now is still subtropical. I think if Houston was there, you would have seen a more dense city IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or