U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city is the worst to live...
Las Vegas, NV 23 29.11%
Myrtle Beach, SC 30 37.97%
Orlando, FL 26 32.91%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,206 times

Advertisements

Which is the worst city to live in: Las Vegas (NV), Myrtle Beach (SC), or Orlando (FL)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,660,252 times
I grew up in MB, and it is a good place to raise a family. If you actually have a decent paying job. Cost of living is low. Schools are good. It is a little boring when you get older since everything closes after tourist season besides the golf courses. There isn't much culture by way of museums, art galleries and community theater, but I liked it. And at my high school, there was a high success rate. About 65% of people when on to post high school education.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Orlando and Las Vegas are on pretty equal footing IMO in terms of which is worst. I give an edge to Orlando being worst. Las Vegas does have an excellent restaurant scene, unlike chain-restaurant world (Orlando).

Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,127,604 times
I think it depends on what someone likes. Mrytle Beach is on the water, it is a beach resort. Lots of stuff to do during April- October, but then gets old fast. Not much in the way of job opportunities either.

Orlando is what I describe as an All American city. Disney, lots of chain restaurants, some job opportunities. Decent cost of living, good weather all year round. Bigger than it seems due to Disney.

Las Vegas is the ultimate tourist destination. Lots of outdoor activities too. Economy is now terrible. Problem with LV is if one is a local, the only places to go are still on the Strip, no separate downtown.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 5,842,491 times
Don't mean to come off defensive but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando and Las Vegas are on pretty equal footing IMO in terms of which is worst. I give an edge to Orlando being worst. Las Vegas does have an excellent restaurant scene, unlike chain-restaurant world (Orlando).
Your opinion I will no touch because that's your prerogative. However I'd like to express mine and point out some facts too. Orlando and Vegas both have a large commercial restaurant scene with everything from cheap buffets to fine dining. Las Vegas has more of the celeb-chef/trendy restaurants which I tend to think are like overrated Darden food creations inspired by top chefs then mass produced on the Strip/I-drive. The local restaurant scene in Orlando should not be overlooked and I implore you to stop making comments about our restaurant's chainy-ness if you have not been north of Conroy Rd./Mall at Millenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Las Vegas is the ultimate tourist destination. Lots of outdoor activities too. Economy is now terrible. Problem with LV is if one is a local, the only places to go are still on the Strip, no separate downtown.
Actually Orlando is a much stronger tourist destination and it has a separate city with it's own DT, own suburbs, and own lifestyle, own sports, etc. Yes I know many people live, work, and play in Vegas without being on the strip but you cannot argue that the strip can be seen from anywhere in the Valley and that the skyline of Vegas is the strip. I'd have a hard time driving around and seeing the I-Drive skyline from the suburbs in Central Florida. Doesn't make it any better or worse, just different and something for everyone to consider.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,566,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Orlando is what I describe as an All American city. Disney, lots of chain restaurants
So true, I found that also in my vist and National Geographic Magazine agrees:

"Orlando's bright lights are not the garish displays of Las Vegas or the proud power logos of New York. Instead, Orlando glimmers with the familiar signage of franchise America: Denny's, Burger King, Quality Inn, Hampton Inn, Hertz. Orlando also leads in the culinary transformation of the exotic into the familiar. From its Orlando headquarters, the Darden Corporation, the city's first Fortune 500 company, mass-markets theme foods. It standardizes the output of Red Lobsters and Olive Gardens everywhere."

Orlando - National Geographic Magazine

Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,676,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You should know not to ever speak of Orlando like that. Now, hell is going to follow you from now on at city-data.

My vote goes to Vegas.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,127,604 times
I was never sold on Orlando, but I know people who love downtown Orlando. Particularly people my age (20s,30s).

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,154,803 times
I think I would go nuts in Myrle Beach. Defiantly not my kind of place to vacation nor live in. Too small, not a lot of real culture outside of popular culture (art, local alternative music, etc)

Old 11-24-2010, 06:51 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Which is the worst city to live in: Las Vegas (NV), Myrtle Beach (SC), or Orlando (FL)?
Why not ask which is the best? Asking which is worst sets the tone for negativity and the kind of comments we're already seeing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or