U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 AM

355 posts, read 912,004 times

Advertisements

Yes, Tulsa has bridges.....Arkansas river runs through it.....but to my amazement there's never any water in it. This is not a slam against Ttown....I really enjoyed living there. But I grew up in Pgh.... lots of bridges (pictures of them on my office wall)....but they happen to have rivers with water under them!!!

How about the Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys......love this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,195,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
I hear Jacksonville, Florida has great bridges. What others do you know of?
I'm sure New York is a given. Any ideas for smaller cities, however?
New Hampshire.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM

9,471 posts, read 12,317,065 times
Default Oh....Oh I Slammed Pittsburgh PA "My BAD" .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
Yes, Tulsa has bridges.....Arkansas river runs through it.....but to my amazement there's never any water in it. This is not a slam against Ttown....I really enjoyed living there. But I grew up in Pgh.... lots of bridges (pictures of them on my office wall)....but they happen to have rivers with water under them!!!

How about the Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys......love this one.
The Arkansas River is being dammed....with low water dams which is going to solve the problem of having such a ugly eye sore running through Tulsa in times of "no rain fall" i've been living in California for i'll say 27 -28 years and everytime that I come back out to Tulsa The River Is Full To The Brim......By the way i've never been in "Pittsburgh PA" and it slipped my mind..I got to make it there , they say that it has so many "beautiful Bridges"...

Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 PM

302 posts, read 868,152 times
The Brooklyn Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge are probably those most well known U.S. bridges.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM

9,471 posts, read 12,317,065 times
Default My Bad.....I Got To Visit Pittsburgh PA And See Their's Beautiful Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
Tulsa has bridges?
Yeah Tulsa has 7 or 8 Bridges , but none like Pittsburgh PA....when I visit that neck of the woods i'm going to put Pittsburgh right up at the top of the list.....

Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,337,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Finally, some of you may know that John Roebling, the guy who built the Brooklyn Bridge, was from Cincinnati and before he built his most famous bridge, he built a similar bridge in Cincinnati across the Ohio River.
Why do you make things up?

Roebling was a Pittsburgher. The only thing he did in Cincinnati was build a bridge for you. Don't you research anything before you start typing?
John A. Roebling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2008, 06:33 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,156,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Why do you make things up?

Roebling was a Pittsburgher. The only thing he did in Cincinnati was build a bridge for you. Don't you research anything before you start typing?
John A. Roebling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, I guess I was wrong; I had heard or read many years ago that Roebling was from Cincinnati. I also didn't realize Roebling (the father) didn't actually see construction of the Brooklyn Bridge through to completion; though he designed the bridge, he in fact died over a decade before it was completed.

I will say that if you are going to correct me, you might want to be correct yourself - if the wikipedia.org article is correct, he was from Germany, didn't move to the U.S. until he was 25 years old, and lived in Butler County, PA, which although it is close to Pittsburgh is NOT Pittsburgh.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 AM

721 posts, read 2,353,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Duluth, Minnesota has two of them. I can't find any good pictures, but driving into Duluth at night looks really cool with the harbor and bridges all lit up on the lake.
Here are a few links to Duluth's bridges: Image:Aerial lift bridge duluth mn.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image:Ryansinn-bongbridgeatnight.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image:Bong Bridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Bong Bridge is being checked for the same structural failures that collapsed the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 AM

909 posts, read 2,705,637 times
Michignan has 2 really neat bridges.

1. Detroit's ambassador bridge is really nice. especially when its lighted up at night. it's the only bridge that goes SOUTH to Windsor, Ontario. I believe Detroit is the only city thats geographically north of Canada.

2. Mackinac birdge is about 5 miles long, and its a beauty. All I've seen is pictures, never got a chance to go up there, but i would love to go see it someday. It be a good trip to go to the Northern Pennsula, it has really nice scenery of what I've seen.

Colorado has an intersesting bridge, the Royal Gorge over the Arkansas. I havent seen that either, but I've heard lots about it.

Columbus, Indiana has a nice ones too. ones an interstate over pass actually.

http://www.journal-topics.com/photos/2006/TR-Columbus2.jpg (broken link)

Note: Columbus is ranked 6th most architectual city in the U.S.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,084,589 times
Mackinac Bridge Authority Don't know if this has been posted before......but, note the snow, the UP is getting more than a fair share of the white stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or