U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can't believe how many times the city of Asheville, North Carolina seems to fit what people are looking for.
Where did that come from?

Have you ruled out astronomy jobs altogether? They do seem to be in inland areas, don't they.

Raleigh NC will have a lot of tech jobs and is somewhat close to the beach. Maybe Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:31 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Where did that come from?

Have you ruled out astronomy jobs altogether? They do seem to be in inland areas, don't they.

Raleigh NC will have a lot of tech jobs and is somewhat close to the beach. Maybe Durham?
Friendly people, liberal, natural beauty, plenty of things to do(the mountains around there are wonderful!), strategically located between relatives in MA and FL, relatively affordable, the beach is not a must(although it's really not too, too far), The University of NC Asheville would provide educational and/or employment opportunities, and downtown Asheville has a pretty vibrant scene. Seems to fit the bill to me, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:25 PM

59 posts, read 64,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you haven't been there in a while, it is a totally different city from even 5-10 years due to the amount of construction currently going on or is in the works. With that said, what is the population range you are looking for in an area?
You're right. I just went back last week to visit my parents, and there are a lot of changes going on in Ithaca, but NO WAY. I couldn't move back.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 64,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I will say if friends (existing and making them) are of high importance, Chicago would rise up the list a bit. For a big city, it's quite friendly, most have no trouble finding friends here.

And for that same reason, Seattle would be tough. By all accounts the Seattle Freeze is legit. Tough to break in and be accepted. And it's very expensive.

Honestly, Texas seems like a good place for you guys.
Thanks for the input. Wow, I have never heard of the "Seattle Freeze." Good information to know. Yes, making friends and meeting people is definitely high on my list. I've spent the past 4 1/2 years in the DMV area and I have felt that people are very standoffish, not open to meeting new friends, and downright rude at times.. Washington DC also has that reputation... I want out.

I guess we will have to take a trip to Chicago to check it out then! That seems to be the overall consensus.

Last edited by Cutea; 08-04-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 01:39 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,866,693 times
Chicago and Illinois have massive fiscal problems, among the worse of any state and major city.

Higher taxes and service cuts certainly seem on the table in Chicago.

Emanuel proposes water, sewer tax to shore up ailing pension fund - Chicago Tribune

Some suspect Chicago may face bankruptcy, just like Detroit.

Check out the fiscal condition of Illinois and Chicago before making a long-term commitment there.

Remember that Chicago is on the hook not only for its pension liabilities, but also those of Illinois.

5 things you need to know about the Illinois budget crisis

Congress can solve Illinois' pension crisis - Chicago Tribune

As Illinois and Chicago address their fiscal problems, the economic environment could worsen dramatically.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
What about Pasadena, CA? JPL is there, and Mt. Wilson Observatory is up the mountain. School system decent, too.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:12 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
I don't think Denver's a great fit given your parameters. Bummer, though, because the University of Denver's Meyer-Womble Observatory is the highest in the US. It sits atop Mount Evans at an elevation of 14,150'.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,866,693 times
Also, if you ever will be interested in Chicago public schools, a new teacher would have to be desperate or financially ignorant to take a job there.

A new teacher could work nine years in Chicago and never earn a retirement benefit.

Pension Storm Brewing in Chicago | TeacherPensions.org

<<21 years: The length of time a new, 25-year-old Chicago teacher must remain teaching before her pension will finally be worth more than her own contributions. The vast majority of teachers will leave before then. Chicago teachers are in a different pension plan than other Illinois teachers, but these numbers are comparable to the state system.>>

The Chicago Teacher Pension Crisis: By the Numbers | TeacherPensions.org

Chicago is short-changing the retirement needs of current teachers in order to fund the pension promises it made to past teachers, but never funded.

BTW, Congress has never funded the present value of the retirement and medical benefits of veterans, preferring to operate on a pay-as-you-go basis. Eventually all of us will be burdened by this bit of financial quicksand.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 PM

56,518 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Friendly people, liberal, natural beauty, plenty of things to do(the mountains around there are wonderful!), strategically located between relatives in MA and FL, relatively affordable, the beach is not a must(although it's really not too, too far), The University of NC Asheville would provide educational and/or employment opportunities, and downtown Asheville has a pretty vibrant scene. Seems to fit the bill to me, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know, as Ithaca is a similar, but smaller version.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
I get the impression that with their student debt the OPs need to be pretty sure they can both get professional jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.