U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 AM

102 posts, read 83,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans too.
People from 20 to 60 will be out having drinks and eating late at night.

People often confuse all of NOLA nightlife to Bourbon St but it's not. There are plenty of neighborhood bars with live bands and strips like Frenchman St which cater to the locals.
So many upscale bars in the Warehouse District alone that cater to the "I wear a suit to work" type crowd.

I would also include Chicago.
I totally agree about New Orleans. There is so much to do for people that are 35+ as well as the younger crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM

8,773 posts, read 7,706,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Completely disagree. I haven't experienced nightlife in all of the top-20 MSAs, and I haven't even consulted the list, but I can tell you that Boston has terrible nightlife for people in their 30s.
Well, Boston nightlife overall is not great for pretty much anyone. Remarkably average.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 AM

12,447 posts, read 11,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I would definitely say NYC has a vibrant nightlife scene for all ages because people tend to get married later and are not so beholden to tradition. Same with San Francisco. I'd add LA and DC to the list as well. You just have to know where to go.
It's been years since I've been in San Francisco. But outside of Haight-Ashbury, I didn't see many people in their 20s in the city at all. It seemed like most of the places we went out to most of the people were in their 30s or 40s.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I can't tell if this poster is being tongue in cheek or wagging his finger at us old people who like to stay out late on occasion. (Isn't that what sleepovers at grandma's are for??)
Not tongue in cheek. Perhaps this is really asking "best cities with nightlife for older women" because men and women are under completely different social pressures. Age 35 is probably the sweet spot for the average man in terms of the intersection of career earnings, wealth accumulation, virility, life experience, confidence, etc. So men are less likely to bow out of the game (even the married ones) than women are in my experience.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 AM

7,744 posts, read 4,584,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not tongue in cheek. Perhaps this is really asking "best cities with nightlife for older women" because men and women are under completely different social pressures. Age 35 is probably the sweet spot for the average man in terms of the intersection of career earnings, wealth accumulation, virility, life experience, confidence, etc. So men are less likely to bow out of the game (even the married ones) than women are in my experience.

That said, there are still a lot of cities were being 35 places you firmly in "creepy old guy in the club" territory. If I had to wager, I'd say there are probably no more than a dozen cities with an abundance of nightlife where people in their mid-30s don't stand out. If we're talking about "clubbing", it's probably closer to a half-dozen.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM

994 posts, read 598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post
I totally agree about New Orleans. There is so much to do for people that are 35+ as well as the younger crowd.
We were just in NOLA for 4 days. In our 40s. Totally agree. Forgot Bourbon - it's a joke. So many other places with all ages mixing very well. Great place for going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or