U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:55 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,513,023 times

Advertisements

Interesting list of places you're visiting--lol!!! I was born in Cincinnati. I'd say go to Columbus over Cincinnati(it's a much better city IMO). However if you do go to Cincy--the attraction I'd say you should stop by and visit is Kings Island(it's an amusement park). Make sure to get a cheeseconey or chili from skyline or gold star. Larosa's pizza is pretty good. Get some baked goods from Graeters too. Other people mentioned the city spots you can go to. Personally Cincinnati is so bleh to me. I can't imagine why anyone would want to vacation or visit there for more than a few hours LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM

8,729 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Interesting list of places you're visiting--lol!!! I was born in Cincinnati. I'd say go to Columbus over Cincinnati(it's a much better city IMO). However if you do go to Cincy--the attraction I'd say you should stop by and visit is Kings Island(it's an amusement park). Make sure to get a cheeseconey or chili from skyline or gold star. Larosa's pizza is pretty good. Get some baked goods from Graeters too. Other people mentioned the city spots you can go to. Personally Cincinnati is so bleh to me. I can't imagine why anyone would want to vacation or visit there for more than a few hours LOL!!!!
Well, OP already said he isn't changing the cities, so....

And regardless, Cincinnati is infinitely more interesting than Columbus. OP made a good choice.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:26 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,874,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
True, it's definitely good if you're at UC. But last I was there, the menu is not as complete as on Detroit. Guess it depends on what neighborhood you want to explore.
Interesting. What's the difference in the menus? Fewer toppings?

Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 PM

8,729 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Interesting. What's the difference in the menus? Fewer toppings?
If I remember correctly, it was a topping issue. At least the last time I was there, there weren't as many toppings choices.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:47 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,326,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
You skipped over Columbus. Not that we are a super touristy city but if you're driving between Cincinnati and Cleveland and want to experience different faces of Ohio you might as well stop in our city

Edit: Oops! Read your post too quickly. So I guess save Columbus for another trip if you wish, enjoy!
There isn't a reason to apologize, you had a very good post nonetheless.

I am going to both Columbus and Indianapolis in this trip as well. We are starting our trip in Washington D.C. and from there are driving north to Boston and seeing the cities in between as well such as New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, from Boston we will drive to Quebec City, from there Montreal, then Ottawa, and finally Toronto. We will spend multiple days in Toronto and then depart for Detroit, after Detroit we will go to Chicago and stay in Chicago for multiple days. From Chicago we will go west to Saint Louis and after that Kansas City. From Kansas City we will be heading south to Dallas/Fort Worth and then Houston. From Houston we will start heading back north, to Nashville first, from there Louisville, from there Indianapolis, then Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and finally Pittsburgh. After seeing Pittsburgh, we will come back full circle to Washington D.C.

We will be going through North America for 28 days. There will be three of us for most of the trip, however one person has to get back to work by the end of August, so we will split off from him in Chicago (he'll take a flight back to Washington D.C.).

The reason I didn't ask about Indianapolis or Columbus or most of the other cities I listed is because I already know where to stay and what to do in those cities. For example, that neighborhood you posted a picture of, Short North, that's my favorite place in Columbus. I have fond experiences from Bernard's Tavern there.

The reason I asked about Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Kansas City is due to the general level of unfamiliarity I have with these cities. I don't know much about them. In the case of Saint Louis, I haven't been in 6-7 years, so my knowledge of the city is entirely outdated. I definitely wanted to approach natives and locals of Saint Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh about their suggestions on their city's offerings, amenities, and institutions.

By the way, I absolutely love museums and I have been to the World War II Museum in New Orleans, which I enjoyed deeply (and I do mean deeply). I noticed Kansas City has a World War I Museum, I'm most definitely interested in checking that out but I haven't seen all too many endorsements for it on this forum. If any of you have experience with this museum, please feel free to leave a review and your recommendation of whether to see it or not.

To the person who asked earlier if I like baseball. I love baseball and if I can and if the schedule allows, I'd love to go and experience a baseball game in any of these cities, possibly multiple cities. Just for the experience of a baseball game, if nothing else. I also enjoy watching the sport, I'm one of the few people in my inner circle of friends and family that actually watches as many games as possible (through online streaming).

I will be staying overnight in all 5 of these cities, we will be spending on average about 2 days in each of these 5 cities (Cleveland, Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City).

I thank all of you for your suggestions. Keep them coming. I'm going to read each of your suggestions and posts carefully and with detail in the minutes that follow this post. I'll also jot down each of your suggestions and then look into which area of the city it is in and its accessibility to where I will be staying in these cities (generally speaking, I'm staying in Downtown or an adjacent neighborhood for every city I am going to minus Washington DC and Houston).

I will also definitely respond and get back to all of you on my visit after the visit as a feedback. I truly appreciate everything all of you have done to help me in this thread with your suggestions. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM

Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati all have convenient downtown baseball stadiums.

Cleveland's is located in the most dynamic neighborhood IMO, the Gateway District and East 4th St. in the heart of downtown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/re...urth.html?_r=0

Although dwarfed by The Arcade, which starts across Euclid Ave. from the north end of East 4th St., the Fifth St. Arcades also demonstrate Cleveland's revitalized turn-of-the-20th century charm and are a short walk from Progressive Field. Barrio Gateway there is a personal favorite for a pre-game snack.

http://www.5thstreetarcades.com/

Last edited by WRnative; 08-04-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 PM

Given your enjoyment of the WWII museum in New Orleans, don't miss the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton.

Dayton's Huffman Prairie Flying Field also is one of the most historic locations in the world, but is largely unknown. It was there the world's first airplane in reality, the Wright Flyer III, conquered the skies in 1905.

How simple it now seems:

<<They disconnected the rudder of the rebuilt Flyer III from the wing-warping control, and as in most future aircraft, placed it on a separate control handle.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Flyer_III

You can't stand where man first used fire, but you can stand where we first used a powered machine to fly with the birds.

Candidly, your 4-week journey seems massively ambitious.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Candidly, your 4-week journey seems massively ambitious.
This isn't a new process for me or the people I travel with. We are accustomed to doing this, the last two years, annually. This is the fourth time in the last 2 years I've done a trip of this scale.

In the Winter of 2014 I did Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area, Fresno, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tijuana, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, El Paso, Las Vegas, Reno, Boise, Spokane, Victoria (BC), San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa.

In the Summer of 2015 I did Washington D.C., Baltimore, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Greenville, Richmond, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Grand Rapids, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham.

In the Spring of 2016 I did Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Fort Worth, Austin, Phoenix, San Antonio, Tucson, El Paso, Denver, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, Des Moines, Omaha, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa.

Since I moved to Europe; in the Winter of 2015 I did London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Nice, Turin, Milan, Zurich, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt. In this trip I relied entirely off of passenger train. In contrast, all of the American trips have been done by car, on purpose, so that way we can maximize and see as many cities as possible.

We do this often. Each time we do this, we rotate and stay more days in a city that we didn't in the previous trips. This gives us more exposure to areas that we didn't get as much exposure to as last time in the last trip.

For example, in the Summer of 2015 we stayed just less than 2 days in Columbus, Indianapolis, Madison, Nashville, and Raleigh. This year in the Summer of 2016; instead we will stay about 2 days each in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Saint Louis.

Traveling is our hobby, we have it figured out on the scheduling. No worries there.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-04-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
This isn't a new process for me or the people I travel with. We are accustomed to doing this, the last two years, annually. This is the fourth time in the last 2 years I've done a trip of this scale.

In the Winter of 2014 I did Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area, Fresno, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tijuana, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, El Paso, Las Vegas, Reno, Boise, Spokane, Victoria (BC), San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa.

In the Summer of 2015 I did Washington D.C., Baltimore, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Greenville, Richmond, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Grand Rapids, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham.

In the Spring of 2016 I did Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Fort Worth, Austin, Phoenix, San Antonio, Tucson, El Paso, Denver, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, Des Moines, Omaha, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa.

We do this often. Each time we do this, we rotate and stay more days in a city that we didn't in the previous trips. This gives us more exposure to areas that we didn't get as much exposure to as last time in the last trip.

For example, in the Summer of 2015 we stayed just less than 2 days in Columbus, Indianapolis, Madison, Nashville, and Raleigh. This year in the Summer of 2016; instead we will stay about 2 days each in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Saint Louis.

Traveling is our hobby, we have it figured out on the scheduling. No worries there.
Wow! I would guess you were Aussies!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Wow! I would guess you were Aussies!
I'm very obsessive when it comes to travel. I don't mean it lightly when I say it is my #1 hobby. All I want to do, every single day, is visit a city that isn't the one I live in. My objective is to see at least 170 of the planet's 200+ countries and to see at least 350 of the world's metropolises over 1 million people in my lifetime. It is a goal that I badly am hellbent on reaching.

Even when I have work and cannot travel, all my mind is on is on my next trip and planning for it. I start planning months, sometimes years in advance to work out all of the kinks. I truly love traveling and seeing new cities or going back to familiar ones and increasing my experiences in them all.

Traveling as a hobby is the reason why I log on to this site, otherwise I wouldn't have been a member here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or