U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,469,647 times

Advertisements

For Pittsburgh, there are a lot of threads on the Pittsburgh site on city-data that list many of the most popular year-round attractions, so I won't try to repeat them here but would suggest just doing a search on the Pittsburgh site here.

There are some festivals in August that are fun, the Three Rivers Regatta is huge and is actually this weekend Aug. 5-7. It has almost every type of water event imaginable, and other attractions as well. Little Italy Days festival is in the Bloomfield neighborhood from Aug 18-21st. I'd recommend both of these, and there are also a lot of smaller ethnic and arts type events throughout the city during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,518,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
No cross examination necessary; this post serves only as a derailment device entered by one very jaundiced individual. Strike it from the record.
Nope. Spoken like someone who's actually lived in various places-exposed to many different size cities, and understands where Cincinnati truly stands. Columbus is a much better city than Cincinnati. A lot of cities are. Every time I go to Cincinnati, I'm ready to leave by the end of the day. I shudder when we have to visit Cincinnati(I have family that live there) and beyond the food, there is literally nothing that I find exciting enough to warrant reccomending the city to anyone. It's always been the one place I've been ashamed to say I've lived. Yes there are some things that make Cincinnati interesting but after living in many different cities honestly Cincinnati really isn't a desirable place to visit imo. It has low col, and a more stable economy, but it's not much going on there, and yes I think Columbus is a better city-more attractive, more to do, more progressive, better for younger people, etc. That is MY opinion. You think differently, okay, good for you. You love Cincinnati, great. I liked it when I lived there too, until I started moving frequently and got to live in other cities. Sorry you disagree, but such is life.

Hopefully the OP will enjoy himself during his stay.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,407,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Nope. Spoken like someone who's actually lived in various places-exposed to many different size cities, and understands where Cincinnati truly stands. Columbus is a much better city than Cincinnati. A lot of cities are. Every time I go to Cincinnati, I'm ready to leave by the end of the day. I shudder when we have to visit Cincinnati(I have family that live there) and beyond the food, there is literally nothing that I find exciting enough to warrant reccomending the city to anyone. It's always been the one place I've been ashamed to say I've lived. Yes there are some things that make Cincinnati interesting but after living in many different cities honestly Cincinnati really isn't a desirable place to visit imo. It has low col, and a more stable economy, but it's not much going on there, and yes I think Columbus is a better city-more attractive, more to do, more progressive, better for younger people, etc. That is MY opinion. You think differently, okay, good for you. You love Cincinnati, great. I liked it when I lived there too, until I started moving frequently and got to live in other cities. Sorry you disagree, but such is life.

Hopefully the OP will enjoy himself during his stay.
Either way let's not turn this thread into Columbus vs. Cincinnati as that's not its purpose (and there's one already going on in the Ohio Forums).

The OP will find plenty to do in three C's as well as the other cities they're visiting. I think it's great that they want to experience different regions of the U.S. rather than only the largest coastal cities.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,892,133 times
Default Good timing for visit to Cleveland Museum of Art

Asian art is one of the highlights of the Cleveland Museum of Art's collection.

Dissatisfied with the Japanese and Korean galleries after the massive recreation of the museum completed just three years ago, the CMA went back to the drawing board and apparently has produced a winner:

Cleveland Museum of Art achieves serenity in reinstalled Japanese and Korean galleries (photos) | cleveland.com

One of the joys of the CMA is perhaps its unparalleled emphasis on presentation and the visitor experience (evidenced by the CMA's pioneering ArtLens and Gallery One). This new emphasis was a main benefit of the museum's recreation, and obviously is being taken very seriously as demonstrated by the improvements to and consolidation of the Korean and Japanese galleries.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 AM

5,712 posts, read 8,780,439 times
Squirrel Hill is the nicest neighborhood in Pittsburgh, as far as old money, beautiful houses, trees. I recommend the conservatory (public greenhouse).

I second the recommendation of Mt Adams neighborhood in Cincinnati. And mainstrasse in Covington.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:38 PM

992 posts, read 502,098 times
St. Louis

Cultural institutions...Forest Park...Art Museum, History Museum, Zoo, Jewel Box, Blues Museum, City Museum (super unique place), Cathedral Basilica (amazing mosaics), Missouri Botanical Garden, Laumeier Sculpture Park, City Garden, the Arch

Performing Arts...St. Louis Symphony, show at Fox Theatre, Muny in the summer, the Rep, Opera Theatre of St. Louis...this site may help Grand Center - The Intersection of Art and Life

Food...only in STL foods that are a usual hit are Gooey Butter cake, Ted Drewes frozen custard, Toasted Ravioli. STL pizza is hit or miss, can be an acquired taste. Not my fave. Pi pizza is better. Some of my favorite restaurants (in no order at all other than when they hit my mind...and I'm missing many) are Elaia, Cunettos, Charlie Gittos, Annie Gunns, Reeds American, Sugarfire, Chef Ma's, SeoulTaco, Baileys Chocolate Bar, Crown Candy, Vin de Set...and this may help. Ian Froeb's STL 100 - The 100 Best Restaurants in St. Louis

Hiking/outdoors...best IMO is hiking at Castlewood State Park and the Katy Trail

Parks...Forest Park is by far the best, Tower Grove is also great, I'm more familiar with suburban parks like Faust Park, Shaw, and Tilles

Neighborhoods...Central West End, Grand Center, South Grand (international area near Tower Grove Park), Soulard, Lafayette Park, St. Louis Hills (Ted Drewes area), The Hill (Italian), the Grove, Benton Park/Cherokee Street just to start...avoid most of North STL but Old North is nicer and Crown Candy is always a good bet.

Suburbs...Maplewood, University City, Clayton, Kirkwood, Webster are the most interesting

If you love baseball, STL is one of the better places in the US to go to one..a very busy downtown stadium. Wrigley is great to see too and I think Pittsburgh's stadium is one of the best too. KC also has a great stadium but the location sucks.

Wineries nearby. The wine is only so-so but the views are beautiful...

Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM

10,850 posts, read 19,457,364 times
You chose some great cities. All of these cities are really neat and unique and fly under the radar nationally. I think you will like many, if not all of these cities better than the larger cities you will visit like Dallas and Houston.

Anyway, you can visit this thread on KC:
Kansas City information thread! If you plan to visit (or move to) KC, visit this thread first...

I would make the World War One Museum your top priority. While I am from KC, I can honestly say that the WW1 Museum and monument is one of the best history museums in the country. It easily matches and often exceeds anything found in Washington DC. Just read the reviews of it online. It can easily take several hours and don't forget to to to the top of the tower for great views of the city.

The second main attration I would see is the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art.

There are plenty of other attractions in KC. I would at least walk around the Country Club Plaza for a little bit. It's one of the nicest and oldest mixed use urban neighborhoods in the midwest. If you are in KC on a Saturday, the City Market is one of the most vibrant and largest urban farmers markets in the country. It's quite a cultural scene, especially for a city in the midwest.

Other great attractions in KC include the Steamboat Arabia, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Jazz Museum among others. You should at least try do a quick walk through of places like Union Station, the Kauffman Performing Arts Center, Crown Center, Westport, Boulevard Brewery etc.

KC has some great food. Just stick to midtown/crossroads and you really can't go wrong.

I would probably skip the parks in KC, especially after visiting Forest Park in St Louis. However, Penn Valley Park near Liberty Memorial does have some really great urban views with lots of hills and lookouts. Sadly, it's a very underused park though. Mill Creek Park and Loose Park near the Country Club Plaza are probably the cities busiest parks, but they are very small. Swope is the city's largest and where the zoo and outdoor theater is, but the park is on the outskirts of the city and so it lacks any urban bustle. It's mostly just underused open land.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-08-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Default Rock Hall exhibit on USA Today's 12 best list

12 must-see museum exhibits in the U.S. this summer

Old 08-09-2016, 03:01 PM

6,634 posts, read 8,342,389 times
Truly fantastic job everyone. I leave for America in three days. I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to respond and give great suggestions. Like I mentioned earlier, I am the type to take online suggestions and try them out in real life and I intend on doing that on this trip as well. So thank you very much everyone!

I will be in the United States until the 3rd week of September as my next term starts on September 22nd here in London.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Truly fantastic job everyone. I leave for America in three days. I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to respond and give great suggestions. Like I mentioned earlier, I am the type to take online suggestions and try them out in real life and I intend on doing that on this trip as well. So thank you very much everyone!

I will be in the United States until the 3rd week of September as my next term starts on September 22nd here in London.
Have a great trip!

Please report back either as your trip proceeds or afterwards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or