U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:36 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am going to be in the United States and Canada in a few days. My objective is to thoroughly visit and spend time in Toronto and Chicago (and introduce my friends to Boston), however I also have an intention to see these five places as well. I am looking to have a pleasant and great experience in ALL five of these cities but I am not familiar with any of them intrinsically, hence I am making a thread for them here. I would have made a thread in the local forums but to be rather honest, I actively disengage in local forum conversations for unexplainable reasons. Please don't give me any suggestions on which cities to see or to visit or which cities to drop from our itinerary, I already know which ones I will be seeing and visiting, that is set in stone. I'm in the process of finalizing where to stay in each of these cities right now (suggestions on that would be incredible).

About my objective;

My personal objective for as long as I can remember has been to see all 50 states in the United States and all inhabited territories. As I grew older I also adjusted my objective to include seeing every PCSA in America over 1 million people. To me it is unacceptable to even skip one, very unacceptable, especially if I am near there at any given point and have an opportunity to see it.

I am looking into doing things that are unique to these cities, things that you as a local would recommend to me, and finally, things that speak volumes about the type of place your city is.

Previous experience: I have previous experience in all of these cities but my experience is nothing noteworthy. We will be gong through various places in Ontario, the Midwest, and the Northeast Corridor on this trip.

Here are somethings I'm looking for;

- Cultural Institutions: this is an ABSOLUTE must for us. We experience cultural institutions (primarily museums) in every city we travel to. This will be no exception in these cities either.

- Performing Arts: If your city is truly remarkable or strong at this, then please recommend some places to us. None of us watch television and are entirely detached from mainstream American and global culture and I would categorize all of us as people that love retro styles and retro cultures from past eras and time periods. We truly enjoy going to a live theater and seeing a real performance instead of going to a movie theater.

- Food: Stuff that is absolutely special to your city. The type of food that you can say "you get here, no where else". We'd love recommendations on this.

- Hiking and outdoor areas: I am flying into Washington DC and at my house in the DMV I have some parachautes and gliders, both of which I plan on using in this trip. It would be remarkable if we could find an area where we could gain legal access to hang-glide off some cliffs. We have done this before in the past, in North Carolina, but we are looking to do this again on our trip. We cannot find an area near Chicago or Toronto to do this either due to restrictive regulations or flat topography. Also suggestions on hiking trails or water activities in your respective areas would be incredible. We truly are outdoors people, this will go an exceptionally long way for us.

- Neighborhoods and suburbs: We cant to see the best neighborhoods and suburbs in each of your cities. We'd like to get a good grasp on the history, architecture, culture, and style of each of these cities. We'd love to have a reference points of which neighborhoods and suburbs we should see in each of these cities and which ones to avoid.

- City parks: The best ones in your cities with the most stuff to do and see either in it or around it.

- Anything else to try out, see, experience, or do while we are in these cities?

I value the recommendations, especially from those that will take the time to give us some suggestions. Again, we truly are looking forward to enjoying ourselves on our trip but we have very little time to work out the details, so the sooner the better. I will not be including a poll in this thread, this thread is for personal gain and is not a city-versus-city comparison. I want to enjoy all 5 cities and preferably enjoy all 5 of them equally.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 05:48 PM

992 posts, read 937,739 times
A very brief answer for STL

Cultural Institutions -

St. Louis Art Museum; free admission to one of the country's principal art museums (huge modern art and 20th century German art galleries, lots of variety in other areas as well)

City Museum; more like a playground for adults....it's not for everyone, but it's hugely popular

Missouri History Museum

Performing Arts:

Muny; outdoor theater in Forest Park that has free seats

Outdoor Areas -

Forest Park; second biggest public park in the US (I believe it is; don't shoot me if I'm wrong)

Other Stuff -

Anheuser-Busch Brewery tour is a lot of fun in a cool/unique part of the city

Zoo; free and nationally ranked

Basically, Forest Park has a lot of the tourist attractions which are all free, and then South City (where AB is) has a lot of the famous red brick buildings people love

Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,085,781 times
One thing to ad to titanrams recommendations is you must eat at Salt n Smoke. Best Bar B Q in the city their mack n cheese is to die for also.

Also try Ted Drews frozen custard. Soulard Farmers Market is cool too.

The Hill has a fantastic collections of Italian restaurants (I love Mama Campisi's).

Try PI pizza or if you like a hand tossed type crust Ciceros is pretty good.

To add to the cultural offerings, the National Blues History Museum on Washington Avenue is an awsome addition as well.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-03-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times
Also check out the St. Louis Symphony. One of the top fifteen in the US and check out Missouri Botanical Gardens, one of the top botanical gardens in the world. Check out the St. Louis Zoo, one of the top zoos in the country. Also check out Dogtown home to restaurants like Seamus McDaniel's, Felix's and Pat's. Also check out the Central West End, home to many fabulous restaurants.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 PM

12,194 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Cleveland Museum of Art is a must. In KC, I would check out their Jazz Museum as well as Negro League museum (historically important even if you don't like baseball).

Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 PM

865 posts, read 1,233,616 times
For neighborhoods in Cincinnati check out Over-the-Rhine, Downtown, and Mount Adams. For parks you should visit Washington Park, Smale Riverfront Park, and Eden Park in each of those neighborhoods. Covington and Newport are worth seeing as well.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,085,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
For neighborhoods in Cincinnati check out Over-the-Rhine, Downtown, and Mount Adams. For parks you should visit Washington Park, Smale Riverfront Park, and Eden Park in each of those neighborhoods. Covington and Newport are worth seeing as well.
Skyline views from Covington are amazing.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
You skipped over Columbus. Not that we are a super touristy city but if you're driving between Cincinnati and Cleveland and want to experience different faces of Ohio you might as well stop in our city

Edit: Oops! Read your post too quickly. So I guess save Columbus for another trip if you wish, enjoy!

Columbus Neighborhoods
German Village

Victorian Village

Grandview

Short North

Downtown

Columbus Eats:
Jenni's Ice cream. Artisan ice cream free of chemicals crafted to perfection with dynamic seasonal flavors like wild berry lavender, whiskey and pecans, sweet cream biscuits and and peach jam.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus. Historic German restaurant with delectable cream puffs and of course a variety of sausages.

Ocean Club, Marcella's or pretty much any Cameron Mitchell restaurant would also be a good introduction to the Columbus food scene.

Columbus Sites

Whetstone Park of Roses

Franklin Park Conservatory

The Ohio Theater

Columbus Art Museum

The Ohio State University

North Market

The Statehouse

Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 PM

12,194 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Yeah, he already stated he didn't want to add or subtract from his itinerary, so boosting Columbus, Louisville, etc is a waste of time.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, he already stated he didn't want to add or subtract from his itinerary, so boosting Columbus, Louisville, etc is a waste of time.
I already apologized, I did not read the original post carefully enough and got carried away because honestly I love my city I'm not going to delete it because I took time to post it and the poster stated they eventually want to visit more metro areas so maybe it will give them an idea what Ohio has to offer or what to see on a later trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or