U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM

32 posts, read 43,730 times

Advertisements

I am a 36 y/of male living in South Florida. I had enough of the attitudes along with the drinking and drugging lifestyle of the ladies I have dated here. I am trying to maintain a sober lifestyle and would like to meet a like minded lady ready for a serious relationship. Which city do you think I might have a good chance of meeting such person? I am looking to meet a person with some values. I realize good and bad is everywhere but I feel south Florida attracts a different kind of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
You really should provide more criteria here. Outside of the dating pool, what are you looking for in a place to live?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:39 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
If you're looking for a religious slant by all means choose Greenville which could qualify as the buckle of the Bible Belt. If you're looking for a lower key lifestyle where alcohol isn't seen by many as the devil in a bottle, Winston Salem will provide that with a much more diverse resident base and more to do.....not to mention it's three times larger than Greenville.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:57 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Kyle has never lived in Greenville or even visited. Take anything he says about Greenville with a huge grain of salt.

Gville is not anymore of the 'bible belt' than Winston Salem. i don't understand how he even comes up with this stuff. Some people go to church, some people don't, some people, including Christians, drink, some people don't.

Greenville is the 63rd most populated MSA, Winston is 83rd. there isn't more to do in Winston Salem and most people think Greenville has a more fun downtown. Greenville is also closer to the mountains.

both metroes are good places to live. Gville has much less snow and warmer winters.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you're looking for a religious slant by all means choose Greenville which could qualify as the buckle of the Bible Belt. If you're looking for a lower key lifestyle where alcohol isn't seen by many as the devil in a bottle, Winston Salem will provide that with a much more diverse resident base and more to do.....not to mention it's three times larger than Greenville.
This is one of the most hyperbolic posts I've read all week. It's really silly to see people do this in threads where people are actually looking for practical information when it comes to a place to live and instead, posters use it as opportunities to take jabs at cities they don't particularly care for.

Greenville might be more religious, but it's nothing close to a prohibitionist's paradise.

Winston-Salem isn't "much more diverse" at all. Both cities are primarily Black/White with a few scatterings of Hispanics and Asians.

Winston-Salem's city population is three times larger than Greenville's, but obviously that's misleading...unless you really believe that Raleigh and Atlanta are the same size or Charlotte and San Francisco are peer cities. Greenville's MSA is a little larger than Winston-Salem's and the Triad is a little larger than the Upstate. They are peer cities for all intents and purposes.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:35 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
I figured it wouldn't be long until the Greenville cheerleader arrived. I have visited Greenville and know enough to comment about it, and in terms of Greenville's MSA being larger are either of you aware that MSA designation means nothing when Winston Salem is just 30 miles from Greensboro? Though weirdly not designated as a singular MSA when they share an airport and economies, it's combined population as a CSA five years ago was 1.6 million people which makes it the 33rd largest metro area in the country. In terms of demographics Winston Salem's racial composition in 2010 was 51.2% White, 34.7% Black or African American, 2% Asian American, 0.1% Native American, 0.08% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific native alone, 14.7% was Hispanic or Latino and 2.4% two or more races. Greenville on the other hand definitely fits the more homogeneous role with 62.12% White, 31.54% Black or African American, 3.44% Hispanic or Latino (of any race), 1.27% Asian, 0.14% Native American, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.37% of other races, and 1.11% of Two or more races. Facts do suck huh?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I figured it wouldn't be long until the Greenville cheerleader arrived. I have visited Greenville and know enough to comment about it, and in terms of Greenville's MSA being larger are either of you aware that MSA designation means nothing when Winston Salem is just 30 miles from Greensboro? Though weirdly not designated as a singular MSA when they share an airport and economies, it's combined population as a CSA five years ago was 1.6 million people which makes it the 33rd largest metro area in the country. In terms of demographics Winston Salem's racial composition in 2010 was 51.2% White, 34.7% Black or African American, 2% Asian American, 0.1% Native American, 0.08% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific native alone, 14.7% was Hispanic or Latino and 2.4% two or more races. Greenville on the other hand definitely fits the more homogeneous role with 62.12% White, 31.54% Black or African American, 3.44% Hispanic or Latino (of any race), 1.27% Asian, 0.14% Native American, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.37% of other races, and 1.11% of Two or more races. Facts do suck huh?
I hope you were talking about the other guy when you said "Greenville cheerleader."

Both Winston-Salem and Greenville are part of multinodal regions that are roughly the same size. The Triad is about 1.6 million and the Upstate is about 1.4 million which puts them roughly in the same tier. Either way, characterizing Winston-Salem as being "three times as large as Greenville" is extremely misleading and I'm pretty sure you know that. So you're basically disproving your original statement by bringing CSAs into the picture.

In terms of the actual municipalities, both Winston-Salem and Greenville are overwhelmingly Black/White with sprinkings of other ethnicities, as was stated.

And it's funny how you like to cherry pick certain statistics when they suit you. You pick city stats to say "Winston-Salem is three times larger than Greenville," and then when it is pointed out that the metros are essentially the same size, you want to switch the basis of comparison. And then you essentially do the same thing with demographic information by once again focusing on city statistics only.

At any rate, all you've managed to do is turn this into another C-D pissing contest without any regard for what the OP is looking for in a city to call his new home. Congratulations.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:

you had admitted in previous interactons that you have never been to Greenville.

Gville is 30 minutes from Spartanburg. so what. Gville's MSA is larger than Gboro's MSA as well. i don't see a big reason for WS people to go to Gboro a whole lot, the cities seems like twins and WS probably has a better downtown.

you also said Greensboro has a more active downtown than Greenville's, and nobody agreed with you including people who have lived in Greensboro. i looked on google maps and Gboro downtown only has about half the number of restaurants.

i'm not sure what race has to do anything with but you seem to think about race a lot. i'm color blind myself. if a person does not like white people then WS probably is a better choice, no question.

it is crazy how many bars and restaurants serving alcohol Gville has if so many people in metro think alcohol is the devil tho. the Gville free market doesn't support your assertion.

i may be about the only person on here who does not comment extensively on cities that I have never lived in. i feel like i am reading an Outsiders Guide to Cities book on here at times.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-05-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 PM

32 posts, read 43,730 times
Thanks everyone for your reponses. I would just like to know if either or both Greenville SC or Winston Salem would be a good place for me to relocate from South Florida if I am seeking to meet a lady in my age range mid 20s to mid 30s. As I said my experience as well as others I know have found that many of the women here in South Florida are very much into drinking and drugging. I am looking for someone who is not interested in that and would be looking for more meaningful relationships.
Would you say that quality of single women as a generality in those two cities I mentioned would be different than the women of South Florida?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 AM

i believe most young women in Greenville are looking to settle down and get married and start familes. it is a family oriented metro. i meet my wife in college but i have seen single guys meet women and have long term relatationships and /or get married.

the east side of the metro, the middle class area, is definitely not a druggie area. i can't speak for the rest of it. this is the woodruff road, pelham road, stallings road areas. the far west side of the metro, Powdersville, also has low crime rates. this is the area to the west of highway 153 and south of highway 123.

i would think the suburban areas of WS is similar.

i would say in the Carolinas, a heavy drinking / drug culture even in the middle class and affluent is mostly found in beach towns like Charleston and Mrytlelbe Beach and Wilmington, and college towns like CHapel Hill. this is just speculation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or