U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,464,766 times

Advertisements

which of the 2 make a better vacation spot--and list attractions and things to do.

Providence-Boston
or
Seattle

I have never been to the NW or the East Coast so both would be brand new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM

5,373 posts, read 12,990,427 times
I live in Seattle and love it to death. There's so much to see and do but I have to say if you've never been to Boston, Providence or the eastcoast then I would definately visit the Boston area. Every U.S. resident should visit the east at least once in their lifetime. So much history and this is where our country started. So I would have to say Boston/Providence. After Boston, take your next trip to Seattle.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,206,329 times
hahahha Pro'duntz Rhadlynn vacation, truuuuuuuuue kid.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
Both are good choices. Both have great urban areas, nice suburbs, etc. Seattle gets the nod for natural scenery, Boston gets the nod for historical scenery (and natural scenery outside of the city a ways). Both have great seafood, etc. Tough call but Id lean a little more towards Boston on this one.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,037,753 times
Seattle has the awesome scenery, easy access to outdoors stuff and good urban environment, but it's tough to beat the history and architecture of Boston. I have never been to Boston, and it's at the top of my list for cities to visit.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,173,766 times
What time of year are you planning to travel? Try to avoid winter/early Spring in New England and rainy season in Seattle.

In Providence, check out WaterFire, walk around the historic neighborhoods of College Hill and Federal Hill, and find some fun events (galleries, shows) in the arts district. I think you can "do" Providence in a day, and spend more time if you are in love with it. Though I've never sampled it, I hear they have great nightlife too (as good or better than Boston, actually). Get out to Newport, RI just to see the old New England aristocracy. Once you're ready to vomit you have permission to leave Rhode Island.

Boston is a ton of fun. You could spend days just walking around, taking in the beautiful old neighborhoods. The Public Garden is great in late spring and summer. The Freedom Trail winds through the city and takes you by many of the Revolutionary War-era sites. You can walk it self-guided and I think there are also organized/guided tours. Check out Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution nestled in cozy, quaint Charlestown. Go spend the afternoon in Harvard Square in Cambridge where there's always some street performers and vendors. Get an authentic Italian dinner in the North End, followed by nice refreshing gelati and a walk down the narrow streets. Go out to Salem where the witch trials were held. Lexington and Concord (first battles of the Rev War) aren't far outside town. If you have many days, take a ferry to Provincetown on Cape Cod. The Cape is a nice relaxing getaway any time of the year.

I go to Boston a few times each year for work, and always look forward to the trip. I've never been to Seattle, but it's near the top of my list of must-visit US cities. I think you'd do yourself well to visit either city.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Seattle has the awesome scenery, easy access to outdoors stuff and good urban environment, but it's tough to beat the history and architecture of Boston. I have never been to Boston, and it's at the top of my list for cities to visit.
Actually, beautiful scenery is found not too far outside of Boston. Its not the Cascades, but still very hilly/mountainous and definitely beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.