U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,465 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are living in FL which he doesn't mind much but I hate. He has agreed he likes four seasons and would be willing to move more North so that I'm not suffering so much in the high heat, high humidity and high atmospheric pressure of Florida's tropical climate. I'm originally from MA and he's originally from CT so we both have family in New Emgland and I would LOVE to live there. My husband, however, is HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy and is afraid of moving to New England because of it. Are there any other states in the US outside of New England or even places within New England which do have four seasons and rural areas but NOT a lot of poison ivy? Is this just wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 05:41 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,301,479 times
You guys think there is no poison ivy in FL? FL is loaded with that plant.

There is poison ivy throughout most of the country, except the Pacific northwest & CA. However, those states have poison oak.

Learn to recognize the plant. If you buy a house, make sure to have any poison ivy removed. If you rent just be careful where you walk. Watch where you are going.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:26 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,125,052 times
Move wherever you want and stay out of the woods?

Old 08-07-2016, 09:36 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
The Wellsboro, PA area has a lot less poison-ivy in the woods than around Harrisburg. Around our home now I need to Roundup twice a year. We've never done that in Tioga.

On a 75 mile long trail crossing Tioga County, PA I can think of only one area next to a small patch of poison-ivy at the edge of an abandoned pasture. Conversely on the Appalachian Trail north of Harrisburg I once cut through a forearm-size hairy poison-ivy vine.

Poison-ivy is only slightly more common in central NY state a little north of Wellsboro. The central "Twin Tiers" (southern tier of NY counties/northern tier of PA) was originally settled by New Englanders so the rural areas don't look much different from less touristy sections of, say, VT and ME.

Wellsboro area is more politically conservative. Over the line in NY state west is more conservative, Finger Lakes more middle of the road (apart from extremely liberal Ithaca), a bit more conservative again between I-81 and Cooperstown then the Hudson Valley is more liberal-ish as most of New England now is.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 AM

270 posts, read 223,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
There is poison ivy throughout most of the country, except the Pacific northwest & CA. However, those states have poison oak.
I wonder, is someone allergic to poison ivy also allergic to poison oak? Poison oak is nasty enough even if you don't specifically have an allergy to it.

OP, unless your husband is a hiker or outdoorsman I can't imagine he is likely to encounter much of either poison ivy or poison oak; is the allergy so severe that just being near poison ivy is dangerous for him? If he simply needs to avoid skin contact, living in an urban or suburban area should by and large eliminate the issue. I can say from experience that rural Oregon is often thick with poison oak, though it is a rare sight in the suburbs (I saw it there only in natural areas) and I never once saw it in an urban setting. I have also never seen it in urban Southern California, though that is not a four seasons climate.

Basically, yes, stay out of the woods and poison ivy/oak shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,465 times
Thanks for your replies. The main issue for him is that he not only gets a systemic reaction from touching it directly, but from touching anything with even remote traces of the oil on it (such as a dog, if they happened to brush up against the plant.) Also there are some people up North where my husband grew up who maybe aren't aware of how dangerous this can be for others but when clearing land decide to burn brush which often has poison ivy in it, and if my husband breathes it in he gets a reaction. Also people tend to have more wood burning stoves up North and can sometimes have wood piles stored near or that somehow come into contact with poison ivy and burning those will also cause a reaction. So for him hr absolutely knows exactly what it looks like and how to avoid touching it directly but he can't always be sure everything and everyone around him hasn't touched it or even that the air he's breathing doesn't have trace elements. I didn't really believe him on how bad the reaction was until I recently saw his touching mango sap gave him a huge, painful whole body reaction where he had to take steroids to make it go away and mango is related believe it or not to poison ivy. He also does get reactions to poison oak and sumac. We've since discussed this more at length and researched and found out pretty much what all commenters above have said (there is poison ivy virtually everywhere in the US) and he still wants to move to MA because he knows how badly I want to, but we'll just have to take extra precautions and make sure our neighbors know not to burn poison ivy in brush fires and if we have a dog, not to let that dog wander alone in the woods and come back in the house bringing potential poison ivy oil (or other poison plant oils) I'm the outdoorsy one and plan to vegetable garden but I'm also allergic, just not as allergic as him, so I'll take precautions with that as well. We're not very outdoorsy where we currently live in Southwest FL because it's so hot and humid most of the year that the most we do outside really is swim in the pool whereas up North we find the climate way more forgiving and easy to be out in. Anyway thank you for your replies and it looks like we're still going to move North and just take some extra precautions.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatiebearMama View Post
My husband and I are living in FL which he doesn't mind much but I hate. He has agreed he likes four seasons and would be willing to move more North so that I'm not suffering so much in the high heat, high humidity and high atmospheric pressure of Florida's tropical climate. I'm originally from MA and he's originally from CT so we both have family in New Emgland and I would LOVE to live there. My husband, however, is HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy and is afraid of moving to New England because of it. Are there any other states in the US outside of New England or even places within New England which do have four seasons and rural areas but NOT a lot of poison ivy? Is this just wishful thinking?
Maybe a dry mountain state like Colorado?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,458,211 times
While it meets all of your criteria, it kinda throws in some new variables that weren't mentioned...

The rain-shadow of Washington state. AKA, Yakima and the Tri-Cities. (Only one of the Tri-Cities I can remember right now is Pasco.)

Maybe Boise.

http://www.poison-ivy.org/poison-ivy-overview

Last edited by CoreLysium; 08-22-2016 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: added link to maps

Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
Northern Nevada ( Reno, Carson City, Minden) also has no poison ivy. Mild 4 season weather too.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 4,958,843 times
Wikipedia says it grows everywhere east of the Rocky Mountains. Maybe not west of the Rockies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_radicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.