U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This is very true especially of Dundalk where I used to work. Very blue collar (the nice way of putting it). And to answer your other question, Southerners don't tend to dress Preppy to go out to clubs anyway, but my point was that Philly despite being so close has almost to no Preppy culture to speak of whereas areas around Baltimore do. Usually people who go to clubs don't even dress the same even if they're in the same city as lack of fashion sense or presence thereof isn't region specific.

Also, yo is used around Baltimore but it is by no means East Coast specific. Blacks in Louisville use it all the time. Especially if followed by "cuz". We need to realize that the use of a word is not necessarily indicative of a culture because if so then NYC Blacks are Southern for saying "y'all" instead of the Northern "youse".
I agree that Yo isn't East Coast specific, that's a popular word most places, but Baltimore is probably uses the word more than anybody, and we're one of the most southern areas in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2017, 02:05 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree that Yo isn't East Coast specific, that's a popular word most places, but Baltimore is probably uses the word more than anybody, and we're one of the most southern areas in the country.
But Baltimoreans even use yo as a personal pronoun. That is rather unique.

And I guess the South is winning. Maybe Baltimore will become the Louisville of the East Coast and have a ton of Northerners idolizing it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then it can truly be made Northeastern and proudly Southern simultaneously as opposed to ashamedly Southern and sort of Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But Baltimoreans even use yo as a personal pronoun. That is rather unique.

And I guess the South is winning. Maybe Baltimore will become the Louisville of the East Coast and have a ton of Northerners idolizing it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then it can truly be made Northeastern and proudly Southern simultaneously as opposed to ashamedly Southern and sort of Northeastern.
Honestly, it would be better that Baltimore ,culturally, stays the way it is. Baltimore is one of the very cities in the south that has retained its local culture while most southern cities have already been inundated with northerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,476,913 times
Reputation: 3406
More English influence on the east coast and more Spanish influence on the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
More English influence on the east coast and more Spanish influence on the west coast.
Lots of Irish influence all up and down the East Coast as well. This is whether you're in NYC or the Low country.

Boston, NYC, Philly, Charleston, and Savannah have very strong Irish ties. Especially New York and Savannah which have very well known St. Paddy's day parades.

The Irish love the East Coast and even in dialects this is heard somewhat. Like how people in the coastal towns from New York down to the Low country will say forest, orange, and Florida with a very Irish sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Lots of Irish influence all up and down the East Coast as well. This is whether you're in NYC or the Low country.

Boston, NYC, Philly, Charleston, and Savannah have very strong Irish ties. Especially New York and Savannah which have very well known St. Paddy's day parades.

The Irish love the East Coast and even in dialects this is heard somewhat. Like how people in the coastal towns from New York down to the Low country will say forest, orange, and Florida with a very Irish sound.
Baltimore has very Irish ties as well, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 03:51 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore has very Irish ties as well, IMO.
Yeah they are the second largest White ethnic group I believe.

In Philly I believe they are the largest if I am not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ
156 posts, read 115,310 times
Reputation: 68
Um yes this is a degrading uneducated thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDevil679 View Post
Um yes this is a degrading uneducated thread
Triggered much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA
116 posts, read 278,365 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDevil679 View Post
Um yes this is a degrading uneducated thread
Please speak your mind more. This is a discussion forum. What are the things posted you think are degrading or uneducated? There was not a lot of input from NJ residents so I am curious to hear.

I think an area like Seashore Heights has some similarities to Virginia Beach. I know the ethnic makeup is totally different but I think the "beach culture" is similar along the coast even though the North and South are so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top