U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Reputation: 2585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
Please speak your mind more. This is a discussion forum. What are the things posted you think are degrading or uneducated? There was not a lot of input from NJ residents so I am curious to hear.

I think an area like Seashore Heights has some similarities to Virginia Beach. I know the ethnic makeup is totally different but I think the "beach culture" is similar along the coast even though the North and South are so different.
Virginia Beach isn't even all that Southern anymore. It can be considered the furthest South extension of the Northeast corridor by loose terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Virginia Beach isn't even all that Southern anymore. It can be considered the furthest South extension of the Northeast corridor by loose terms.
VB could possibly be less southern, but the rest of Hampton Roads is still very southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Reputation: 2585
Well it's almost like Bmore. City itself isn't very Southern but go East and then little by little the Southern overtones increase until you get to the Eastern Shore. Same with VB. Honestly most cities in VA outside of Roanoke and maybe Richmond aren't that Southern. VA's Southern culture seems to be limited to the rural areas. The cities seem very Yankified which is crazy considering it was the capital of the Confederacy. Nowadays most VA city people seem very averse to Southern identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 10:58 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well it's almost like Bmore. City itself isn't very Southern but go East and then little by little the Southern overtones increase until you get to the Eastern Shore. Same with VB. Honestly most cities in VA outside of Roanoke and maybe Richmond aren't that Southern. VA's Southern culture seems to be limited to the rural areas. The cities seem very Yankified which is crazy considering it was the capital of the Confederacy. Nowadays most VA city people seem very averse to Southern identity.
How is Baltimore NOT southern as a city? Probably even more so due to it not being yankified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is Baltimore NOT southern as a city? Probably even more so due to it not being yankified
Like many south of the Mason Dixon cities in MD and VA, there's just a lot of aversion to Southern identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 08:41 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Like many south of the Mason Dixon cities in MD and VA, there's just a lot of aversion to Southern identity.
I think because those cities, and pretty much every other region, have a generalization of how the south should look, act, and feel. With those areas not fitting those generalization, people like to claim that they aren't southern. People don't seem to want to believe that the south is just that diverse. Baltimore is very different from Miami, which is very different from Atlanta, which is different from New Orleans, and so on.

It's all Dixie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Reputation: 14655
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I think because those cities, and pretty much every other region, have a generalization of how the south should look, act, and feel. With those areas not fitting those generalization, people like to claim that they aren't southern. People don't seem to want to believe that the south is just that diverse. Baltimore is very different from Miami, which is very different from Atlanta, which is different from New Orleans, and so on.

It's all Dixie
You could say the exact same thing about the Northeast, and how people want to kick Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester out of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
You could say the exact same thing about the Northeast, and how people want to kick Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester out of the region.
Those cities are in quintessential northeastern states, just like Baltimore is in a quintessential southern state. It just means that those regions don't fall into the generalization of the regions that they're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 03:34 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
You could say the exact same thing about the Northeast, and how people want to kick Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester out of the region.
Funny because on paper they fit in the Northeast quite well. If you put them in the coast the only thing different would be that they're not super cosmopolitan. By all other measures they could very well be "East Coast" cities. But their inland location causes the coastal elitists to classify them as uninteresting, backwards, and "Midwestern" *gasp*

I think the best way to make someone from the Northeast mad is to compare them to the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 03:40 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Funny because on paper they fit in the Northeast quite well. If you put them in the coast the only thing different would be that they're not super cosmopolitan. By all other measures they could very well be "East Coast" cities. But their inland location causes the coastal elitists to classify them as uninteresting, backwards, and "Midwestern" *gasp*

I think the best way to make someone from the Northeast mad is to compare them to the Midwest.
Or just tell them that their relevance isn't what it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top