Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Baltimore or nickname "Bmore" is influence by Virgina and Philly

I have never met someone from Baltimore who mentions VA, goes to VA, knows anything about VA. Baltimore folks will go to Hagerstown or somewhere before they travel to VA or be associated with anything in the DC metro or VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Lol delusional
You were there, I know you remember.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I have never met someone from Baltimore who mentions VA, goes to VA, knows anything about VA. Baltimore folks will go to Hagerstown or somewhere before they travel to VA or be associated with anything in the DC metro or VA
That is very true.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
A lot of misinformation and generalization about Baltimore. Baltimore isn't southern by any means. It's just a very weird place. I say that not to be disrespectful. Baltimore's culture is very unique. A lot of people who post on here don't know anything about it except what they read on here. BTW - East coast culture does exist. It's something that most outsiders will never put their finger on. Here's an example. I went to an HBCU in the deep south. The Cali people were in large numbers and they hung together. There was an LA faction and the Bay area faction. People from New Orleans were the majority. They all stuck together. Same for Florida and Texas. Chicagoans were the core of the Midwest contingent. People from NYC, Boston, Philly, DC and Baltimore were small in numbers but stuck together. We formed an East Coast coalition. Why did we gravitate towards each other? I think the way of life on the East Coast is more similar than different. Are they exactly the same? Of course not, but the pace of life, the hustle, the attitudes, lingo, etc.. is very relatable. Same thing with LA and the Bay. It's different but the same if you are looking at it from a far.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 04-06-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I have to call this out on not being exactly true. Unless what part of VA are you talking about? I was at Johns Hopkins Bayview for a visit minding my own business not too long ago. I overheard the nurses talking about how they were teaming up to plan to go down to Alexandria that night and mentioned National Harbor also. Certainly people stick to their sides of the spectrum, but by no means would you classify this as all. The "culture" is completely different in both places however.

Hagerstown? What is there to do in Hagerstown? lol

Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
A lot of misinformation and generalization about Baltimore. Baltimore isn't southern by any means. It's just a very weird place. I say that not to be disrespectful. Baltimore's culture is very unique. A lot of people who post on here don't know anything about it except what they read on here. BTW - East coast culture does exist. It's something that most outsiders will never put their finger on. Here's an example. I went to an HBCU in the deep south. The Cali people were in large numbers and they hung together. There was an LA faction and the Bay area faction. People from New Orleans were the majority. They all stuck together. Same for Florida and Texas. Chicagoans were the core of the Midwest contingent. People from NYC, Boston, Philly, DC and Baltimore were small in numbers but stuck together. We formed an East Coast coalition. Why did we gravitate towards each other? I think the way of life on the East Coast is more similar than different. Are they exactly the same? Of course not, but the pace of life, the hustle, the attitudes, lingo, etc.. is very relatable. Same thing with LA and the Bay. It's different but the same if you are looking at it from a far.
There is no way the pace of life in Baltimore is the same as most of the Northeast. It may not be Southern but fast paced it is not. In fact Bmore is unique in that it is like the only major NE corridor city that moves quite slow.

Furthermore your n=1 experiment isn't a good way to judge this. Like Chicago people will hang out with only Chicago people and not even the rest of the Midwest because they're snobs and look at other Midwest cities as trashy bumpkin towns. Doesn't mean similarities don't exist.

And furthermore, I explained earlier that Bmore is where the North ends and the South begins and vice versa. I don't believe it is a Southern town in attitude or mentality. But to deny Southern undertones is ignoring history and reality.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I have to call this out on not being exactly true. Unless what part of VA are you talking about? I was at Johns Hopkins Bayview for a visit minding my own business not too long ago. I overheard the nurses talking about how they were teaming up to plan to go down to Alexandria that night and mentioned National Harbor also. Certainly people stick to their sides of the spectrum, but by no means would you classify this as all. The "culture" is completely different in both places however.

Hagerstown? What is there to do in Hagerstown? lol
Outlets

Old 04-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
There is no way the pace of life in Baltimore is the same as most of the Northeast. It may not be Southern but fast paced it is not. In fact Bmore is unique in that it is like the only major NE corridor city that moves quite slow.

Furthermore your n=1 experiment isn't a good way to judge this. Like Chicago people will hang out with only Chicago people and not even the rest of the Midwest because they're snobs and look at other Midwest cities as trashy bumpkin towns. Doesn't mean similarities don't exist.

And furthermore, I explained earlier that Bmore is where the North ends and the South begins and vice versa. I don't believe it is a Southern town in attitude or mentality. But to deny Southern undertones is ignoring history and reality.
Baltimore is southern, but I don't think most large cities in the south are slow paced. Baltimore is just a unique place unto itself.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is southern, but I don't think most large cities in the south are slow paced. Baltimore is just a unique place unto itself.
Ok this is true but even if Baltimore can be called Northern it still isn't fast paced.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Ok this is true but even if Baltimore can be called Northern it still isn't fast paced.
What is your definition of fast-paced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.