U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What area of the south (aside from DC) has rowhouse

neighborhoods that resemble the neighborhood around Morgan? I was raised in the neighborhood.

Also, what city doesn't have suburban neighborhoods in outlying areas? This is the case in Philly, NYC, ; Boston, DC. That isn't much of an indicator of being slow paced.
Yeah I'm kinda mixing up two things here so sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Now that I think about it, I would say areas of Louisville like Beechmont are probably a bit closer in built form.

But I never said it affected pace, just that Baltimore can resemble other Southern cities. That's it. It could be Manhattan pace and the built form of the more suburban areas would still look that way.
It is interesting to find suburban neighborhoods in notoriously urban cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 AM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Reputation: 3491
Other than us all being in the same time zone, ive never heard of "east coast" culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 11:21 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Other than us all being in the same time zone, ive never heard of "east coast" culture.
It doesn't exist really. Across the Northeast corridor you could seemingly break down these many cultural regions:

New England
NYC metro
Delaware Valley
Tidewater

And then you could include little sub regions like South Jersey which is very different from Northeast Jersey and so on. Across this region the choo choo is what binds them together. But to say "well it's all the East Coast" ignores the different history between the cities that are part of the corridor. The history of Baltimore is very different from that of Boston and even from neighboring Philly. They really are there own unique individual places.

Their lingo is even different. Jawn is uniquely a Philly thing. Yo as a personal pronoun is really a Baltimore thing. What links them is possibly a history of colonialism, Catholicism, and English ethnicity (maybe). Structure wise they are different. Triple deckers are New England. Brownstones are NYC. Smaller rows reminiscent of England are Mid-Atlantic. Boston was settled by East Anglian Puritans, NYC originally by Dutch and later various English groups, Philadelphia by many Quakers, Baltimore by English Catholics. They were honestly different nations and today they don't seem to be that much more similar to each other. Baltimore doesn't get as international as the rest of the corridor for some reason.

They are similar but they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:33 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It doesn't exist really. Across the Northeast corridor you could seemingly break down these many cultural regions:

New England
NYC metro
Delaware Valley
Tidewater

And then you could include little sub regions like South Jersey which is very different from Northeast Jersey and so on. Across this region the choo choo is what binds them together. But to say "well it's all the East Coast" ignores the different history between the cities that are part of the corridor. The history of Baltimore is very different from that of Boston and even from neighboring Philly. They really are there own unique individual places.

Their lingo is even different. Jawn is uniquely a Philly thing. Yo as a personal pronoun is really a Baltimore thing. What links them is possibly a history of colonialism, Catholicism, and English ethnicity (maybe). Structure wise they are different. Triple deckers are New England. Brownstones are NYC. Smaller rows reminiscent of England are Mid-Atlantic. Boston was settled by East Anglian Puritans, NYC originally by Dutch and later various English groups, Philadelphia by many Quakers, Baltimore by English Catholics. They were honestly different nations and today they don't seem to be that much more similar to each other. Baltimore doesn't get as international as the rest of the corridor for some reason.

They are similar but they are not.
What areas make up Tidewater aside from Southeastern VA, and extreme southern MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM
 
491 posts, read 273,462 times
Reputation: 472
From Washington DC to Maine there definitely is an Northeastern coast culture that includes population that are largely influenced by Irish, Italian and Jewish culture, older cities, the best schools in the country, a culture where taxes are much higher, people are willing to pay thousands to send kids to boarding schools and private schools, sailing is big, etc. Class and old money matters more. Northeasterners like more social events and parties and exclusive clubs.

Then you have the south. The Midwest is different, as well, with lots of microbreweries. Colorado, is kind of a mix of midwest and the west with its mountain and its love for pubs and drinking/partying culture.

The West coast from Denver all the way to California and Seattle all have in common that they're mountainous and the people are more outdoors-y and they like having exclusive food places (like In N Out) that they can eat. They don't value education as much, but like being outdoors and skiing, hiking, etc. Also, the west tends to be more scenic overall and it affects how much they love their land more.

So, yeah they're different.

Last edited by clearlevel; 04-08-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk
625 posts, read 1,352,105 times
Reputation: 626
This entire thread has been a roller-coaster ride to ridiculousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 05:52 PM
 
43 posts, read 24,411 times
Reputation: 58
I'm from Upstate NY. The Northeast to me is all one region.

Never ever seen New England or Mid-Atlantic be treated differently in the real world, anecdotally.

It will continue to operate as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
From Washington DC to Maine there definitely is an Northeastern coast culture that includes population that are largely influenced by Irish, Italian and Jewish culture, older cities, the best schools in the country, a culture where taxes are much higher, people are willing to pay thousands to send kids to boarding schools and private schools, sailing is big, etc. Class and old money matters more. Northeasterners like more social events and parties and exclusive clubs.

Then you have the south. The Midwest is different, as well, with lots of microbreweries. Colorado, is kind of a mix of midwest and the west with its mountain and its love for pubs and drinking/partying culture.

The West coast from Denver all the way to California and Seattle all have in common that they're mountainous and the people are more outdoors-y and they like having exclusive food places (like In N Out) that they can eat. They don't value education as much, but like being outdoors and skiing, hiking, etc. Also, the west tends to be more scenic overall and it affects how much they love their land more.

So, yeah they're different.
Because Irish culture ceases in the South? You have much to learn.

Italians don't make a large percentage of Baltimore and DC's population, either. In fact, one way that DC and Bmore line more with the South is that they connect to America's Black Belt.

And oh my GOD I can't even with your ridiculous generalizations about the Midwest or the West. The West doesn't value education as much? Ummm...WOW

Your post is not only rife with inaccuracies but ignores the hell out of history. And you really seem to not know a lot about the South. Southerners love social clubs and spending a ton of money to send their kids off to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Because Irish culture ceases in the South? You have much to learn.

Italians don't make a large percentage of Baltimore and DC's population, either. In fact, one way that DC and Bmore line more with the South is that they connect to America's Black Belt.

And oh my GOD I can't even with your ridiculous generalizations about the Midwest or the West. The West doesn't value education as much? Ummm...WOW

Your post is not only rife with inaccuracies but ignores the hell out of history. And you really seem to not know a lot about the South. Southerners love social clubs and spending a ton of money to send their kids off to school.
Baltimore and DC ARE the south. The cities in the Northeast are uniform, while southern cities more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top