Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin is a strange one. Certainly has some southwestern cowboy vibe in certain areas. It's a mix of Portland, Lubbock and Boulder. Haha.
I think that is a greatly accurate assertion.

I also know many Texans who don't care to be labeled Southern. To them, Texas doesn't need to align itself with the South. I think the cowboy culture may have something to do with it. That isn't Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Houston I feel is an outlier even in the South with its huge Hispanic and Asian representation which is more similar to the Southwest and West Coast.

Personally I feel the true pure South ends at Louisiana. Texas is a transition between the South and the Southwest. Austin is neither I find.
Absolutely. But I think east Texas closely mirrors the south more than any other part of Texas, as in it's more Louisiana than Midland.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
I think that is a greatly accurate assertion.

I also know many Texans who don't care to be labeled Southern. To them, Texas doesn't need to align itself with the South. I think the cowboy culture may have something to do with it. That isn't Southern.
cowboy culture, independence. Also, I don't think any state has more state pride than Texas.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM

626 posts, read 380,605 times
Quote:
Really. What is that culture from DC and up? Philly and Baltimore don't even have the same culture.
Obviously two different cities in different states don't have the exact same culture...

But they have a similar culture when compared with southern cities for instance as somebody already elaborated on.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:43 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Obviously two different cities in different states don't have the exact same culture...

But they have a similar culture when compared with southern cities for instance as somebody already elaborated on.
In my other post I explained how that's not actually true.

I said that Baltimore doesn't have nearly nearly as many ethnic Whites, Puerto Ricans (they are negligible), Caribbean, and not to mention the history is so much different. How would the culture be the same or even that similar? Baltimore isn't even fast paced. Most of its Black population has been in the country for many generations as well and makes up a much larger percentage of it. Baltimore is less than 3% Italian.

So, yeah not really seeing how. Rowhouses. Rowhouses make the culture I guess.

Between Philly to Boston there are similarities that really seem to stop at the Mason Dixon line. Where are the Italians? The super fast pace? The Caribbean and Puerto Rican populations? Even if Baltimore and DC aren't in the true SOUTH per se by culture they DO stand out from the rest of the BosWash cities.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:

I said that Baltimore doesn't have nearly nearly as many ethnic Whites, Puerto Ricans (they are negligible), Caribbean, and not to mention the history is so much different. How would the culture be the same or even that similar? Baltimore isn't even fast paced. Most of its Black population has been in the country for many generations as well and makes up a much larger percentage of it. Baltimore is less than 3% Italian.

Between Philly to Boston there are similarities that really seem to stop at the Mason Dixon line. Where are the Italians? The super fast pace? The Caribbean and Puerto Rican populations? Even if Baltimore and DC aren't in the true SOUTH per se by culture they DO stand out from the rest of the BosWash cities.
By your logic Italians (only within the city limits) make the culture. Italians moved to the suburbs a long time ago during "white flight." There is a sizable carribean population in Baltimore, sizeable enough to have carnival with most carribean nations represented. NW Baltimore is home base for the carribean in the area, as well as the Jewish community..in the city. Fells Point is the Latin community, Patterson Park is Latin and Greek, just outside the city in Dundalk is a growing Puerto Rican community. Dominicans seem to be growing, but scattered around the metro. But by your logic if it's not Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago or St. Louis then it's the south.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 08-20-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 10:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
East coast to me is Maine to the DC area.
This is always interesting to me. The East Coast by definition is the entire eastern seaboard of the US. What you're thinking is probably more a broad "Northeast" definition. The Southeast or South which is probably what you would consider VA and south on the eastern seaboard is still the East Coast (most states anyway). It's really not accurate to say that the East Coast stops in DC. Kind of like Pacific NW and Southern CA, or just CA. People like to distinguish them but they are both West Coast.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is always interesting to me. The East Coast by definition is the entire eastern seaboard of the US. What you're thinking is probably more a broad "Northeast" definition. The Southeast or South which is probably what you would consider VA and south on the eastern seaboard is still the East Coast (most states anyway). It's really not accurate to say that the East Coast stops in DC. Kind of like Pacific NW and Southern CA, or just CA. People like to distinguish them but they are both West Coast.
I get what you're saying, but I've never heard anyone refer to Seattle or Portland as the west coast...

Old 08-20-2016, 12:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I get what you're saying, but I've never heard anyone refer to Seattle or Portland as the west coast...
Interesting. I have. And regardless of whether or not you have heard people call those cities West Coast cities... they are West Coast cities.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:41 PM

626 posts, read 380,605 times
Quote:

I think majority of people don't define a city's culture by Rowhouses or how many Puerto Ricans and Caribbeans live in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.