U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Baltimore's West Indian population is recent. No city south of NYC was ever a big magnet for West Indian migration historically (except Miami, obviously).
Recent is relative, as it seems that anything after NYC is recent in this context.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 08-23-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,309,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Those are outdated by like 6 yrs ... Now in 2016 , Philly is probably like 9.5% Puerto Rican, NYC is 8.5%, Boston is 6%, Baltimore and DC are both almost 1% each.

The main difference is in Philadelphia, African Americans and Puerto Ricans still make up the vast majority of non-whites, Dominicans and West Indians, tho growing and starting to be noticeable, still are tiny compared to Ricans and Blacks. In Boston, about half the blacks are West Indians, and there's just as much Dominicans as there is Ricans. NYC is mega diverse, almost plenty of nationalities can be found there in sizable numbers, about one third of blacks are West Indian, a small number are African and the rest is African American, with Dominicans and Ricans are predominant among Hispanics.

DC and Baltimore are noticeably different. In DC, its mainly African Americans, who are very southern compared to NY or Philly, who make up the majority of blacks, tho there are small West Indian and African populations. Also Central American groups make up almost half, which is completely different then most other metros, especially on the east coast. Baltimore is a very black and white city, tho it does have growing West Indian and Hispanic (Mexican/Central American, Puerto Rican/Dominican) populations its very very small compared to the rest of the Bos-Wash corridor. Bmore is starting to get a lil run-off from DC, Philly, or even NY. And Tho it is changing, right now Baltimore is still very black and white.
Just Red that Dominicans made up 31 percent of Latinos in Boston in 2014 and Puerto Rican's made up 23%. Next biggest group was Salvadoran. Further more NYC IS 28% Latino Boston is 19% in assuming Philly is about 13%. DC and Baltimore are probably 9% on average and the Latino population is much much more recent.

Dc is more like NYC and Bos And Philly and Baltimore seem more alike to me. Philly has a lot of Baltimore in it and a little Boston. I feel like it has very little NYC to it.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 AM

907 posts, read 1,789,177 times
The main difference I've seen is the east coast look, which is a little more bundled up than the west coast look. I see much more tennis shoes coupled with leather jackets on the east coast. West coast is more fashionable in a trendy way. East coasters are stylish but still need to survive the winter lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
The cultural comparison between East Coast vs West Coast is nothing new. But what is East Coast culture exactly?

East Coast vs West Coast is often interpreted as California vs New York City. However, we all know East Coast include more than a dozen states from Maine to Florida, NYC culture doesn't represent East Coast culture as a whole.

I am curious about the cultural comparison between West Coast(WA,OR,CA,HI,AK) vs East Coast(from ME to FL). The most difficult part is the definition of East Coast culture.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:11 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
The main difference I've seen is the east coast look, which is a little more bundled up than the west coast look. I see much more tennis shoes coupled with leather jackets on the east coast. West coast is more fashionable in a trendy way. East coasters are stylish but still need to survive the winter lol
Leather jackets? Other than hipster girls going for a retro look, who wears leather jackets? I don't think that's been a thing since 99-00.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
South Philadelphia has the strongest concentration of Italians I could find in any urban context.
Interesting that the North End still has some Italian left while Little Italy doesn't

Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,981 posts, read 3,462,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Large Black populations are not reminiscent of Bos Wash. Blacks are a plurality in Philly but not a majority whereas in Baltimore they are a significant majority. Also Baltimore has many more American Blacks and less Caribbean Blacks. Baltimore also lacks a significant Latino presence especially Puerto Rican's which are the staple Northeast Latino ethnicity.
This makes doesn't make sense to me as NYC has the largest concentration of blacks in the US. Blacks have always moved to the major cities "up north" for as long as we know.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This makes doesn't make sense to me as NYC has the largest concentration of blacks in the US. Blacks have always moved to the major cities "up north" for as long as we know.
So? When you're the largest city that is bound to happen. However a good chunk of NYC Blacks are African of Caribbean. Besides, states and cities with the highest percentage of Blacks always tend to be Southern so it's not like this is some kind of unique Northeast trait. Now give me large concentrations of Italians and there we can make an observation.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:20 PM

116 posts, read 278,704 times
If you are talking about ME to FL there is no "East coast" culture. The only thing we probably share in common is a love for seafood, shorts, flip flops, beaches, and vacationing in the same states along the coast.

As you can tell from reading the post here the "Northeast" or "BosWash" corridor are more about social ranking and the "have and have not" culture. Example: look how they argue over who has the most immigrants, rowhouses, education, etc. Also, look how people from Baltimore, D.C. and even northern VA will argue to their death that they are not "southern". This is because they look at the lower south atlantic as poor uneducated trash. The South Atlantic is more blue collar and less materialistic and stuck up.

Next question please?

Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
If you are talking about ME to FL there is no "East coast" culture. The only thing we probably share in common is a love for seafood, shorts, flip flops, beaches, and vacationing in the same states along the coast.

As you can tell from reading the post here the "Northeast" or "BosWash" corridor are more about social ranking and the "have and have not" culture. Example: look how they argue over who has the most immigrants, rowhouses, education, etc. Also, look how people from Baltimore, D.C. and even northern VA will argue to their death that they are not "southern". This is because they look at the lower south atlantic as poor uneducated trash. The South Atlantic is more blue collar and less materialistic and stuck up.

Next question please?
I'm advocating Baltimore being southern. The Northeast just doesn't have it anymore.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM

116 posts, read 278,704 times
I gotta lot of love for Baltimore since I have a good amount of family from there. I think it has characteristics from both the North and South. It is something that is unique in the US. Not many other cities have two totally different cultures mixed into one place. It is something that should be embraced and not denied,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.