Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 991 times

Advertisements

I need to get out of Minnesota while I can and I need advice on where to go. I just wanna go to a place that has a lot of lakes like Minnesota but is a lot more conservative and wouldn't allow riots like you would see here in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 AM

32 posts, read 38,424 times
The Ozarks, Ouachitas, and East Texas are good options.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:40 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Why not just leave the Twin Cities and find a smaller town to settle in, like Willmar or Owatonna? Outside of MSP and a few other communities, outstate Minnesota is pretty red. Otherwise the eastern halves of the Dakotas could work. Idaho, Montana and Alaska also meet the criteria.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:41 AM

1,425 posts, read 663,442 times
Northern WI is both conservative and lots of lakes.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:46 AM

457 posts, read 349,008 times
Northern Wisconsin, or Western/Northwestern Michigan(Lower Peninsula are going to be very very similar to MN. They will probably be the closest to what you're looking for. Though I'd caution that every city of even moderate size experienced some form of civil unrest last year. Though most not anywhere near the level of what happened in MPLS.

Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
The Grand Rapids area of Western Michigan would be a good choice for you. Even Grand Rapids itself is fairly conservative, and the areas outside of the city are even more so. And there are lots of very pretty lakes throughout the area, in addition to Lake Michigan.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:08 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Grand Rapids area of Western Michigan would be a good choice for you. Even Grand Rapids itself is fairly conservative, and the areas outside of the city are even more so. And there are lots of very pretty lakes throughout the area, in addition to Lake Michigan.
I would be a bit carful about that conservative label on the city of Grand Rapids. The areas around west Michigan are traditionally conservative, but the city of Grand Rapids hasn’t gone red since the 1980s and Kent county has voted Democrat in 3 of the last 4 elections.

Unlike Michigan’s other large cities which are heavy with labor democrats, the liberal presence in Grand Rapids tends to be more traditional progressive. If someone is looking for a more conservative core city they may not find what they are looking for. Now if they were to live in the western or outer ring suburbs it will feel more traditional suburban/conservative.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:14 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would be a bit carful about that conservative label on the city of Grand Rapids. The areas around west Michigan are traditionally conservative, but the city of Grand Rapids hasn’t gone red since the 1980s and Kent county has voted Democrat in 3 of the last 4 elections.

Unlike Michigan’s other large cities which are heavy with labor democrats, the liberal presence in Grand Rapids tends to be more traditional progressive. If someone is looking for a more conservative core city they may not find what they are looking for. Now if they were to live in the western or outer ring suburbs it will feel more traditional suburban/conservative.
You raise good points and I think it's important that the OP be aware of this. I should clarify what I said to mean that Grand Rapids is conservative compared to most other cities of its size, not that it's a deep red or anything. Still, it's nothing like Minneapolis.

Fargo, ND and Sioux Falls, SD would also be good places for the OP to check out. I happened to be in Fargo on a day when they had what they billed as a "peaceful protest." It did indeed remain peaceful, and it only lasted a short time.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:26 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You raise good points and I think it's important that the OP be aware of this. I should clarify what I said to mean that Grand Rapids is conservative compared to most other cities of its size, not that it's a deep red or anything. Still, it's nothing like Minneapolis.
From that point of view I’d agree with you. I’m not an expert on Grand Rapids politics but from what I’ve seen the city leadership and area as a whole tends to be more focused on preserving the area’s growth and how it pertains to the overall health of the city. While they do have some focus on social policy which is more liberal in nature, overall it is governed from a more pragmatic, less ideological standpoint. I suppose that does make it more conservative than a lot of cities.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeefBerky View Post
I need to get out of Minnesota while I can and I need advice on where to go. I just wanna go to a place that has a lot of lakes like Minnesota but is a lot more conservative and wouldn't allow riots like you would see here in Minneapolis.
Allow riots? Cities do that now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.