Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:46 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well the East Coast is known for its vacation house/condo culture. There is that. There is also a lot of support for historical preservation.

But for the most part, the East Coast is divided by two major regions - North and South, with the Upper South perhaps being a blend of the two. The South has its own major subdivision of American culture while the Northeast (along with the Midwest) is much more involved with the weather and the change of seasons, traditions and holidays.
This is so far off...I guess you just don't realize that the majority of the South has four defined seasons too. And you think we don't have traditions and holidays? What is that about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is so far off...I guess you just don't realize that the majority of the South has four defined seasons too. And you think we don't have traditions and holidays? What is that about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well the East Coast is known for its vacation house/condo culture. There is that. There is also a lot of support for historical preservation.

But for the most part, the East Coast is divided by two major regions - North and South, with the Upper South perhaps being a blend of the two. The South has its own major subdivision of American culture while the Northeast (along with the Midwest) is much more involved with the weather and the change of seasons, traditions and holidays.
I do not agree, not like the North. Does most of the South have a Winter like the North? How is the skiing in South Carolina, Louisiana or Alabama in January? Or the ice fishing or ice skating in Florida or Georgia?

Average annual snowfall:

Atlanta --- 2.9 inches
Charlotte - 4.3"
Miami ----- 0.00"
Nashville -- 6.3"
New Orleans 0.00"
Tampa ----- 0.00"

NYC -- 26.9 inches (and even that is not much by Northern standards)

And what else? You do not agree that the South has its own major subdivision of American culture? I am not saying everything is different (especially these days) but I think most people will agree with me. And of course you have holidays in the South, reread what I wrote.

Regarding the traditions and holidays, everyone is the North knows in the fall we have a multitude of festivals, apple picking, fairs, leaf peeping, etc. all before the winter comes. The winter weather in the North changes everything, especially in the colder areas.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
There are five major cultural divisions on the east coast arising out of their settlement history...

1. Yankeedom, which encompasses those colonies originally settled by Puritans. Think Boston Brahmin.
2. New Netherland, which centers on what is now known as New York City and is extraordinarily diverse.
3. The Midlands, which includes coastal Pennsylvania and parts of Maryland. This was the land of the Quakers originally and quickly followed by Germans, and it extends way west into the Ohio Valley and the Corn Belt.
4. Tidewater, which was settled by the English loyalists called Cavaliers and is centered on Virginia. Historically, they were the enemies of the Puritans who settled Yankeedom.
5. The Deep South, which includes parts of the Carolinas, Georgia, and the upper two-thirds of Florida. This is classic plantation culture with deep roots in slavery.

If you are intrigued by the above, more information can be found here. I've read Woodard's book, American Nations, and he makes a good case for divisions described above and also treats the rest of the country. Essentially, there are eleven nations within the United States. Read the book. It will open your eyes.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-15-2016 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2016, 07:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Most of the south doesn't have a real winter...

Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
There is no East Coast culture that is consistent even within the Bos-Wash corridor. Sorry.

I would say what is consistent from Philly to Boston is fast pace, as well as the grouping of Irish, Italians, and Jews.

Consistent from DC to Boston is...large population densities, expensive rent, and heavy traffic.

Consistent from Maine to Florida...Irish Americans. The Irish have a strong Atlantic seaboard presence whether you're in Boston, Scranton, Baltimore, or Charleston.

Also common throughout the East Coast is an African American culture with an emphasis on African. See: Gullah people and the African/Caribbean immigrants of the Northeast.

Dialect? This one is tough. Even the "pure" Northeast from Pennsylvania to Maine doesn't have a common dialect nor heritage. The English heritage in the Northeast varies from West Country English (Pennsylvania) to East Anglia (Massachusetts). So that doesn't really make a common East Coast accent either.

From Maryland and further South the problem also exists. No common English heritage. Some is West Country (Maryland and Virginia), some is East Anglia (Outer Banks), some is straight African (Charleston and Savannah).

However it does seem like in terms of dialect, there is Irish influence all along the East Coast due to the Irish pronunciations of orange, forest, and horrible.

Also, the Mary-Merry-Marry merger is non existent anywhere East. From Maine to Pennsylvania all 3 are different and from Maryland to Florida, Mary and merry merge but marry is different.

Also, all over the East Coast the architecture is reminiscent of the English style.

Finally, the preppy culture is present in East Coast extremities like New England and the South.

So I guess here are things that every East Coast state has in common:

Lots of Irish people
African American populations with stronger ties to Africa itself
English heritage and architecture
Preppy culture in coastal states

Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Different, but similar if that makes sense. East coast to me is blunt, congested and multi cultural. You can drive through 5 states in 5 hours. Love it.
Similar to the East of I95, but different to the West of I95. Except for NYS and FL this is pretty much the case. Similar to Los Angeles and south of it. Yet when heading north of LA it's like a grayscale change and once one hits I80 it feels like a different state.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Most of the south doesn't have a real winter...
Fall and Summer.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Not always, if you are in Miami, you will still be in Florida after 5 hours' drive.

The perception of East Coast seems to be synonymous to Northeast.
Coming from Texas, yep. We think of the east coast as DC to Boston, with the NE states as a close escape. We consider North Carolina the south, Florida, just Florida.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Coming from Texas, yep. We think of the east coast as DC to Boston, with the NE states as a close escape. We consider North Carolina the south, Florida, just Florida.
A lot of the South doesn't consider you the South funnily enough

Old 08-18-2016, 06:30 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
A lot of the South doesn't consider you the South funnily enough
Yeah, I think Texas is Texas. To me, east Texas is the south and Dallas, Houston closely reflect large southern cities (Tampa and Atlanta) vs let's say the east or west coast cities. Everything west of Austin, to me, feels like south west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.