Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 PM

626 posts, read 377,673 times

Advertisements

For the most part DC and up is one culture and VA and down is another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,983,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
For the most part DC and up is one culture and VA and down is another
Really. What is that culture from DC and up? Philly and Baltimore don't even have the same culture.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I think Texas is Texas. To me, east Texas is the south and Dallas, Houston closely reflect large southern cities (Tampa and Atlanta) vs let's say the east or west coast cities. Everything west of Austin, to me, feels like south west.
Houston I feel is an outlier even in the South with its huge Hispanic and Asian representation which is more similar to the Southwest and West Coast.

Personally I feel the true pure South ends at Louisiana. Texas is a transition between the South and the Southwest. Austin is neither I find.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,390,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
There is no East Coast culture that is consistent even within the Bos-Wash corridor. Sorry.
I agree, I personally wouldn't group South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida with the Northeast because they have culture that's similar either with each other, or other states within the South. I think for the most part, the East Coast (Northeast) culture is that it contains a collective of culture developed in places outside of the Northeast.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,276,434 times
When I think of East Coast culture. I think of Bos-Wash corrider. And there are shared elements.

Dense cities
Ivy League Pedigree
More Blunt Straight Talking
Fast Paced
Live to Work
Ethnic Whites
Strongly Catholic
Large number of non African American Blacks
Large number of Black Muslims
Hip Hop music is more lyrical and less beat based

Old 08-19-2016, 03:28 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,276,434 times
Quote:
Really. What is that culture from DC and up? Philly and Baltimore don't even have the same culture.
But those cities are similar when compared to Philly to LA or Baltimore to Atlanta. The accents, large AfAm populations, strong Irish heritage, and predominance of rowhouses are commanlities between the two.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:48 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,397,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well the East Coast is known for its vacation house/condo culture. There is that. There is also a lot of support for historical preservation.

But for the most part, the East Coast is divided by two major regions - North and South, with the Upper South perhaps being a blend of the two. The South has its own major subdivision of American culture while the Northeast (along with the Midwest) is much more involved with the weather and the change of seasons, traditions and holidays.
This is about it, Northeast (all of it except NY/NJ) is about the same more or less. The Mid Atlantic (PA to VA) is very similar and NC down is just about being "the south") Each group is close enough that it doesn't matter but within each one the changes are noticeable. Especially when it comes to the ability to drive in winter. When I first moved to VA from MA I had some worries that there would be a culture shock at some level being further south, nope. Go one more state to NC... HOLY CRAP!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
When I think of East Coast culture. I think of Bos-Wash corrider. And there are shared elements.

Dense cities
Ivy League Pedigree
More Blunt Straight Talking
Fast Paced
Live to Work
Ethnic Whites
Strongly Catholic
Large number of non African American Blacks

Large number of Black Muslims
Hip Hop music is more lyrical and less beat based
Lol @ "shared"

Baltimore and DC do not really have the bolded. DC may have the live to work but the other stuff it doesn't. I am not even sure they're heavily Black Muslim either. And as far as Maryland and DC hip hop I can't comment but from what I have heard I would say it isn't terribly similar to anything from the actual Northeast. Baltimore is definitely not fast paced like at all. And blunt straight talking is something it isn't known for either.

Do people actually think that Baltimore and DC are some kind of extensions of New York?

Old 08-19-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
But those cities are similar when compared to Philly to LA or Baltimore to Atlanta. The accents, large AfAm populations, strong Irish heritage, and predominance of rowhouses are commanlities between the two.
Large Black populations are not reminiscent of Bos Wash. Blacks are a plurality in Philly but not a majority whereas in Baltimore they are a significant majority. Also Baltimore has many more American Blacks and less Caribbean Blacks. Baltimore also lacks a significant Latino presence especially Puerto Rican's which are the staple Northeast Latino ethnicity.

Finally, the Irish are all over the East Coast. They make up most of the Whites in Savannah and are a large portion of Whites in Charleston. They are prominent also in the Outer Banks. Baltimore also lacks a large Italian population as well.

So rowhouses. Yeah they have that in common. The accents are similar but not the same. Baltimore has a country version of the Philly accent without the NY traits.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Quote:
Houston I feel is an outlier even in the South with its huge Hispanic and Asian representation which is more similar to the Southwest and West Coast.

Personally I feel the true pure South ends at Louisiana. Texas is a transition between the South and the Southwest. Austin is neither I find.
Austin is a strange one. Certainly has some southwestern cowboy vibe in certain areas. It's a mix of Portland, Lubbock and Boulder. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.