Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
By your logic Italians (only within the city limits) make the culture. Italians moved to the suburbs a long time ago during "white flight." There is a sizable carribean population in Baltimore, sizeable enough to have carnival with most carribean nations represented. NW Baltimore is home base for the carribean in the area, as well as the Jewish community..in the city. Fells Point is the Latin community, Patterson Park is Latin and Greek, just outside the city in Dundalk is a growing Puerto Rican community. Dominicans seem to be growing, but scattered around the metro. But by your logic if it's not Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago or St. Louis then it's the south.
Do you even KNOW the context of my reply? The guy before me said that the Northeast corridor has all these traits and all I did was provide examples of how DC and Baltimore do not. Someone else brought it up. I can't refute peoples points now without someone thinking I am trying to make my own designations it seems. Call Baltimore and DC the Northeast if you want but they certainly do not fit the pattern that the other person listed with all those bulletpoints.

Where did I say Baltimore was Southern? I said it doesn't have significant numbers of Northeast ethnicities. Which it doesn't. The numbers compared to Philly, New York, or Boston are weak. It's not just Italians. I also mentioned Puerto Ricans and West Indians. Baltimore is weak in those departments when it comes to the Northeast corridor.

As a whole Baltimore has tiny amounts of diversity compared to cities in Pennsylvania and further North. It is not significantly Puerto Rican or Italian or West Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I think majority of people don't define a city's culture by Rowhouses or how many Puerto Ricans and Caribbeans live in the city.
Ok so what determines that Philly and Baltimore have a similar culture?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
When I think of East Coast culture. I think of Bos-Wash corrider. And there are shared elements.

Dense cities
Ivy League Pedigree
More Blunt Straight Talking
Fast Paced
Live to Work
Ethnic Whites
Strongly Catholic
Large number of non African American Blacks
Large number of Black Muslims
Hip Hop music is more lyrical and less beat based
agreed. I think this sum it up well.

I also think that the east coast and west coast culture influence and connections extends into their respective interiors with the Great Plains being kind of a "no mans land" that separates the two.

(IE: West coast extending across western states: Outdoorsy, work to live, libertarian/live and let live, liberal attitudes towards weed, more tolerant towards homeless as long as not bothering anyone, hispanic much more dominate minority whereas Black Americans fewer and more integrated/assimilated. As much as they might try to deny it, Colorado certainly has more in common with California culture).

Whereas Great Lakes are basically somewhat of an extension of the northeast in so many ways. I don't think I need to explain that Cleveland and Chicago have more in common with NYC/Philly/Boston than anywhere west of the Great Plains.

I much prefer west to east overall. Although I think that that is more the case with the culture and lifestyle of the "regular people" in the west over the east. As far as the upper brackets go, I think I might like the east a little more than the west. But I'm not in the upper brackets so its a moot point.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Not wanting to get into an argument but two similarities that I've always thought that Baltimore and Philadelphia have are:

1. Large working-class populations/blue-collar jobs.
2. People are born, live, and die in both cities. Go to Philadelphia and you meet So. Many Natives. They make up a large percentage of the city. Baltimore is the same way. People are born there and never leave (generalization, obviously). This gives both cities a very "hometown" feel with generation after generation living there.

Other similarities are that both live in the shadow of a bigger/more important city (DC for Balto. and NY for Phila.), neither being very big on the national scale attracting a huge number of transplants. And while Baltimore might not have a large Italian population, they do have enough to have a Little Italy, there's a good sized Polish population, and a large Jewish population, among other ethnicities which makes it feel somewhat similar to Philly in that respect. They are also both are port cities, Last, but not least, they are only 2 hours apart, so topography, climate, weather, etc. are pretty similar. And their metros border each other.

I was born in raised in Philadelphia and lived in Maryland (although not Baltimore) for 10 years, so I know Baltimore fairly well. I could seamlessly move to Baltimore without feeling like a fish out of water. It would be a much easier transition than I had moving to DC and the Triangle in NC.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Do you even KNOW the context of my reply? The guy before me said that the Northeast corridor has all these traits and all I did was provide examples of how DC and Baltimore do not. Someone else brought it up. I can't refute peoples points now without someone thinking I am trying to make my own designations it seems. Call Baltimore and DC the Northeast if you want but they certainly do not fit the pattern that the other person listed with all those bulletpoints.

Where did I say Baltimore was Southern? I said it doesn't have significant numbers of Northeast ethnicities. Which it doesn't. The numbers compared to Philly, New York, or Boston are weak. It's not just Italians. I also mentioned Puerto Ricans and West Indians. Baltimore is weak in those departments when it comes to the Northeast corridor.

As a whole Baltimore has tiny amounts of diversity compared to cities in Pennsylvania and further North. It is not significantly Puerto Rican or Italian or West Indian.
You didn't have to call it southern, that's what I've gathered from many of your posts. Baltimore has plenty of ethnic enclaves, much more so than DC. I'm telling you that you don't know Baltimore.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:01 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Philly is 8 percent Puerto Rican, since when does 8 percent constitute as being a significant part of the population. 1.6 percent of philly is West Indian(Hatian/jamacian) Boston is also only 5 percent Puerto Rican.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:50 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
agreed. I think this sum it up well.

I also think that the east coast and west coast culture influence and connections extends into their respective interiors with the Great Plains being kind of a "no mans land" that separates the two.

(IE: West coast extending across western states: Outdoorsy, work to live, libertarian/live and let live, liberal attitudes towards weed, more tolerant towards homeless as long as not bothering anyone, hispanic much more dominate minority whereas Black Americans fewer and more integrated/assimilated. As much as they might try to deny it, Colorado certainly has more in common with California culture).

Whereas Great Lakes are basically somewhat of an extension of the northeast in so many ways. I don't think I need to explain that Cleveland and Chicago have more in common with NYC/Philly/Boston than anywhere west of the Great Plains.

I much prefer west to east overall. Although I think that that is more the case with the culture and lifestyle of the "regular people" in the west over the east. As far as the upper brackets go, I think I might like the east a little more than the west. But I'm not in the upper brackets so its a moot point.
I've always thought that Colorado moved to the PAC 12 because culturally they identified more with the west coast than the plains states

Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Philly is 8 percent Puerto Rican, since when does 8 percent constitute as being a significant part of the population. 1.6 percent of philly is West Indian(Hatian/jamacian) Boston is also only 5 percent Puerto Rican.
Philly is the most Puerto Rican city in the country along with New York. Baltimore isn't even on that list.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You didn't have to call it southern, that's what I've gathered from many of your posts. Baltimore has plenty of ethnic enclaves, much more so than DC. I'm telling you that you don't know Baltimore.
I would say those enclaves are too small for it to be significant. You're telling me "I don't know Baltimore" but I am not going off of personal anecdotes I am going off actual numbers.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not wanting to get into an argument but two similarities that I've always thought that Baltimore and Philadelphia have are:

1. Large working-class populations/blue-collar jobs.
2. People are born, live, and die in both cities. Go to Philadelphia and you meet So. Many Natives. They make up a large percentage of the city. Baltimore is the same way. People are born there and never leave (generalization, obviously). This gives both cities a very "hometown" feel with generation after generation living there.
Fair enough. You could say that none of those traits are unique to the Northeast, though.

Quote:
Other similarities are that both live in the shadow of a bigger/more important city (DC for Balto. and NY for Phila.), neither being very big on the national scale attracting a huge number of transplants. And while Baltimore might not have a large Italian population, they do have enough to have a Little Italy, there's a good sized Polish population, and a large Jewish population, among other ethnicities which makes it feel somewhat similar to Philly in that respect. They are also both are port cities, Last, but not least, they are only 2 hours apart, so topography, climate, weather, etc. are pretty similar. And their metros border each other.
On the Northeast scale, Baltimore has low amounts of Northeast ethnicites. I can't believe people are arguing against actual percentages just to prove an initial point that isn't true.

Quote:
I was born in raised in Philadelphia and lived in Maryland (although not Baltimore) for 10 years, so I know Baltimore fairly well. I could seamlessly move to Baltimore without feeling like a fish out of water. It would be a much easier transition than I had moving to DC and the Triangle in NC.
I suppose. I just don't see how Baltimore in the BosWash sense has a larger East Coast culture.

If people want to argue that there are three East Coast cultures of the Northeast corridor I would say that is more likely. A New England culture, a New York culture, and Mid-Atlantic. But what unique Northeast similarity does Baltimore have to New York? Or Boston? Nothing that it doesn't also share with Charleston or Savannah.

My point still stands that there is no BosWash culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.