U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmancino View Post
Great videos! That's helpful. I hadn't thought to look up videos on towns I was interested in.
Yes and this is a hospital group in the first city and has another hospital not too far from the second community: https://www.guthrie.org/about-us

There are others that could fit, but again, it will depend on what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
I would also suggest upstate/central/western NY. Sure, they get a bit more snow than New England, but the cost of living is WAY lower and the level of charm is comparable. Someday I want to move to the Adirondack region.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would also suggest upstate/central/western NY. Sure, they get a bit more snow than New England, but the cost of living is WAY lower and the level of charm is comparable. Someday I want to move to the Adirondack region.
I did think about suggesting Plattsburgh and Glens Falls, which are smaller areas that are close enough to bigger areas.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 PM

131 posts, read 97,401 times
Upstate NY is a better bet.

The Northeast has it's sub regions (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Interior Northeast) but they're all the same when it comes to history, charm, great education, etc.

There is a difference in weather though. Coastal areas get far less snowfall and much more sun than the interior areas.

Upstate NY is very comparable to the Northwest in terms of sunshine/cloud cover.

You said New England, but Upstate NY is really no different. Even PA.

They're all full of small towns and cities, history, industrial/rust belt style, etc. so you don't really need to limit yourself to New England for what you want. I'm not sure if you think New England is much different than the rest of the Northeast but it's not at all.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Quote:
So far New Hampshire seems to be at the top of our list.
\

A State of Addiction: New Hampshire's Drug Crisis | Health - WMUR Home

Only Delaware has seen a more rapid rise in fatal overdoses in the past decade than New Hampshire. In 2014, there were 26.2 deaths per 100,000 people, compared to 9.6 per 100,000 people a decade earlier. Mental illness is a key indicator of the potential for substance abuse, and New Hampshire has one of the highest rates of such disorders in the country. More than 21% of New Hampshire adults reported suffering from some form of mental illness in the past year, the fifth-highest share in the country.

New Hampshire’s drug use rate is one of the highest of all states. While less than 10% of U.S. residents 12 years and older report some form of illicit drug use in the past year, 12.7% of New Hampshire’s population 12 and older reports the same, the ninth-highest rate in the United States.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 10,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
Upstate NY is a better bet.

The Northeast has it's sub regions (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Interior Northeast) but they're all the same when it comes to history, charm, great education, etc.

There is a difference in weather though. Coastal areas get far less snowfall and much more sun than the interior areas.

Upstate NY is very comparable to the Northwest in terms of sunshine/cloud cover.

You said New England, but Upstate NY is really no different. Even PA.

They're all full of small towns and cities, history, industrial/rust belt style, etc. so you don't really need to limit yourself to New England for what you want. I'm not sure if you think New England is much different than the rest of the Northeast but it's not at all.
Yes I probably think "New England" is much different than Penn or Upstate NY. Good to know that the things that it so charming to me, spill over to other areAs.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 PM

15 posts, read 10,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
\

A State of Addiction: New Hampshire's Drug Crisis | Health - WMUR Home

Only Delaware has seen a more rapid rise in fatal overdoses in the past decade than New Hampshire. In 2014, there were 26.2 deaths per 100,000 people, compared to 9.6 per 100,000 people a decade earlier. Mental illness is a key indicator of the potential for substance abuse, and New Hampshire has one of the highest rates of such disorders in the country. More than 21% of New Hampshire adults reported suffering from some form of mental illness in the past year, the fifth-highest share in the country.

New Hampshire’s drug use rate is one of the highest of all states. While less than 10% of U.S. residents 12 years and older report some form of illicit drug use in the past year, 12.7% of New Hampshire’s population 12 and older reports the same, the ninth-highest rate in the United States.
I've read a little bit about that and most of the comments I've seen are
people saying that the drug problem is definitely there, it's just blown out of proportion. Most people say they see the statistics but don't actually notice a difference in their communities. Not to say drug addiction isn't a serious problem In NH... And that's something that would really bother me since I come from a family of addicts, some recovered and some died. Thanks for that info.

Any chance you can find a comparison with CA?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yes I probably think "New England" is much different than Penn or Upstate NY. Good to know that the things that it so charming to me, spill over to other areAs.

Yeah you couldn't be more wrong, haha.

New England does a good job convincing everyone out there that they're the only ones that have fall foliage, history, small towns, and charm, but that's all over the East Coast.

If I told you this was New England, you wouldn't know the difference. (It's Upstate NY).

https://www.google.com/search?q=upst...uzChYQ_AUIBygC

If you simply Google Upstate NY and go to images, you will see.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Quote:
Any chance you can find a comparison with CA?
Links of interest:

State Data | Drug Overdose | CDC Injury Center

See where California's heroin, opioid problems are worst | The Sacramento Bee

https://www.fherehab.com/which-drug-...e-addicted-to/

Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

It's kind of annoying that everyone equates New England with fall foliage and charm, but that's probably because I grew up near the Adirondacks. New England isn't a big deal to me at all. We have the same stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or