U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 AM
 
56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
It's kind of annoying that everyone equates New England with fall foliage and charm, but that's probably because I grew up near the Adirondacks. New England isn't a big deal to me at all. We have the same stuff.
With a more affordable overall COL generally as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Rhode Island
6,854 posts, read 11,121,119 times
Reputation: 6837
I'd second upstate NY and parts of PA, especially since you're not specifying seacoast and swimming beaches.
Pa can be downright cheap- the Brandywine valley is beautiful, but parts expensive- but maybe something nearby in the region?

Your husband's water pipe experience would probably be useful anywhere in the northeast due to all the old homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,675 posts, read 8,193,365 times
Reputation: 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'd second upstate NY and parts of PA, especially since you're not specifying seacoast and swimming beaches.
Pa can be downright cheap- the Brandywine valley is beautiful, but parts expensive- but maybe something nearby in the region?

Your husband's water pipe experience would probably be useful anywhere in the northeast due to all the old homes.
Philly suburbs are expensive but NYC and Boston is more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,250 posts, read 823,791 times
Reputation: 2008
Upstate NY sounds like a great choice in what you're looking for. So many small, beautiful town and a much lower COL of living than New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,459 posts, read 7,525,289 times
Reputation: 4344
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
It's kind of annoying that everyone equates New England with fall foliage and charm, but that's probably because I grew up near the Adirondacks. New England isn't a big deal to me at all. We have the same stuff.
As someone with comparative living experience in both regions, I'd absolutely agree.

New England has its own unique regional attributes, for sure, but New York, Pennsylvania, and (GASP!) New Jersey are chock full of history and natural beauty that is criminally unknown to outsiders. Their fall foliage and generally more moderate winters (outside of Upstate NY and Northern PA) make for a fantastic package deal, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 AM
 
56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While it is in Upstate NY near the NY/PA border, you may be interested in a place like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EraE9BXGBjY

This is another small community also not too far from the NY/PA border and in between a couple of bigger areas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elwr__gceMM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBl6JbTW4w
This is another NY community that comes to mind: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-EmwAPzfU


Another one: Home - Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce, NY
Canandaigua, New York *
Downtown Canandaigua -



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3_EsiIgKA



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XNDllkitO0


Both have amusement parks nearby, good schools, walkability and shopping in the immediate area. Both are also within a reasonable drive of bigger cities as well(Albany for Glens Falls and Rochester for Canandaigua).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 AM
 
131 posts, read 97,458 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As someone with comparative living experience in both regions, I'd absolutely agree.

New England has its own unique regional attributes, for sure, but New York, Pennsylvania, and (GASP!) New Jersey are chock full of history and natural beauty that is criminally unknown to outsiders. Their fall foliage and generally more moderate winters (outside of Upstate NY and Northern PA) make for a fantastic package deal, too.

I spend a lot of time in Philadelphia and I like it much better than it's counterparts, especially the suburbs. It's chock full of history and charm. I'm looking forward to heading back down for Autumn.

I don't know why outsiders think New England has a patent on fall foliage and historic charm but people need to wake up. It's all over the Northeast (and yes, the South to a lesser extent foliage wise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:45 PM
 
15 posts, read 10,980 times
Reputation: 10
I don't have the time to reply to everyone individually right now, but thanks so much!! The PA and Ny suggestions were very helpful. Really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top