U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,264 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am looking to relocate somewhere in the US that meets the following requirements/wishes. PLEASE let me know if you know of a place that might work!

-- must be within 30 minutes to a medium to large size airport
-- no long winters or really cold weather. Preferably no more than a day or two below freezing
-- near some kind of water-- ocean, big river, huge lake, many little creeks etc.
-- low crime
-- low cost of living
-- affordable 1- 5 acres where I can have some animals/compost pile/clothes-line, etc. (no housing associations)
-- near parks and cultural things-- museums, zoos, theaters, etc
-- fairly close to a university would be a huge bonus

okay-- sound impossible? how about anything close?

Thanks so much. I just found this site-- I'm really hoping someone is going to jump on and say--"oh, I know the perfect place!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
The suburban areas of Birmingham, Alabama, especially the Pell City area.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:39 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,336,486 times
Try somewhere along the Gulf in Texas. I'm not sure how the crime rate would work out, but it meets most of your criteria.

Savannah, GA comes to mind too.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFaulkner View Post
Hi all,
I am looking to relocate somewhere in the US that meets the following requirements/wishes. PLEASE let me know if you know of a place that might work!

-- must be within 30 minutes to a medium to large size airport
-- no long winters or really cold weather. Preferably no more than a day or two below freezing
-- near some kind of water-- ocean, big river, huge lake, many little creeks etc.
-- low crime
-- low cost of living
-- affordable 1- 5 acres where I can have some animals/compost pile/clothes-line, etc. (no housing associations)
-- near parks and cultural things-- museums, zoos, theaters, etc
-- fairly close to a university would be a huge bonus

okay-- sound impossible? how about anything close?

Thanks so much. I just found this site-- I'm really hoping someone is going to jump on and say--"oh, I know the perfect place!"
S A C R A M E N T O

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,336,486 times
Isn't Sacramento a ways from water?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Isn't Sacramento a ways from water?
And Sacramento definitely doesn't have low cost of living.

I agree with your original suggestion, somewhere on the Texas coast. Somewhere near Houston.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Try somewhere along the Gulf in Texas. I'm not sure how the crime rate would work out, but it meets most of your criteria.

Savannah, GA comes to mind too.
Savannah might be too cold for his/her tastes. They stated they wanted to be somewhere where it doesnt get below 32 degrees, to which Savannah averages almost 30 days of those low temps.

To the OP: If youre looking for a place that rarely goes below freezing, its basically gonna only leave you with two places: Honolulu or southern Florida. You might want to look into Ft. Lauderdale?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,779,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

To the OP: If youre looking for a place that rarely goes below freezing, its basically gonna only leave you with two places: Honolulu or southern Florida. You might want to look into Ft. Lauderdale?
Ft. Lauderdale is expensive and loaded with zero lot line homes with excessive homeowners associations. And there are only two places you can get acreage, Davie and Southwest Ranches, and your talking 800 grand for a crappy house on an acre of land. If they need to be in a place that rarely goes below freezing that's affordable, than it would probably be somewhere in Southwest FL towards Port Charlotte, which is bland, but has affordable homes/ land, low crime, half hour to Ft. Myers airport, not too far from cultural stuff in Sarasota or FGCU (university) in Fort Myers. Actually, that area really meets all of the criteria. If they wanted to be closer to Sarasota but still wanted cheap North Port might be fine too, only problem with it is once again, blandness, because it's a General Development-scandal built town so it's full of random streets with empty homesites.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-20-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 4,264 times
I lived several years in Wilmington NC and didn't find the weather TOO excrutiatingly painful. I think the rest of the family would suffer too much in lower-central or south florida, where i also spent some time. Wilmington has become a mess, it seems to me, since when I lived there before.

I guess equal too, or lower than, W'ton temps, without getting too hot for too long.

ok, i realize how non-specific that is.... but it's the best I can do right now.

Thanks for the responses!

Pell City and Gulf of TX-- anyone there now who can be more specific with what you find attractive there?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,774,151 times
Like someone else said, the Houston area pops to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or