U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities in different regions are the most similar to you?
NYC-Chicago 12 24.00%
Baltimore-St. Louis 28 56.00%
Detroit-Los Angeles 3 6.00%
Other (Please explain why in a post) 9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 828,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
VA, AR, and KY are "the real South" too, although I can see the exception for NoVA. A nice chunk of Texas would also count.
I disagree, maybe subregions at best. I consider the dark red states to be the "real south."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout..._United_States

Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I disagree, maybe subregions at best. I consider the dark red states to be the "real south."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout..._United_States
So FL is "the real south" to you but not LA, VA, AR, or KY? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but okay.

At the very least, I consider a state to be "truly" Southern if it seceded from the Union.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,572,644 times
I did not vote, but I remember travelling around Detroit and feeling as though I were driving around LA, flat terrain with wide streets lined from end-to-end with strip shopping centers and the freeway culture of both cities. Of course LA is surrounded by the mountains, but from many spots from west and southwest of downtown, they really do look a lot alike. And before LA started to revive its downtown, it was a lot like the deserted areas of Detroit.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)

8,736 posts, read 10,862,655 times
I think of Charlotte, NC as a developing or mini Phoenix, AZ. Both warm climates, both growing (Charlotte much smaller, but could gain substantial population over the years). Both have mostly transplants or large numbers of them. Other things, too. While Charlotte is more religiously oriented, Phoenix has a fair number of Mormons. Both lean Republican, although Phoenix has a more libertarian vibe. I wouldn't say they were twins, or even sisters, but maybe 1st or 2nd cousins?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM

12,447 posts, read 11,951,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think of Charlotte, NC as a developing mini Phoenix. Both warm climates, both growing (Charlotte much smaller, but could gain substantial population over the years). Both have mostly transplants or large numbers of them. Other things, too. I wouldn't say they were twins, or even sisters, but maybe 1st or 2nd cousins?
My impression is the core of Charlotte, while not built to the best urban standards, is far more pedestrian friendly these days than the core of Phoenix.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think of Charlotte, NC as a developing or mini Phoenix, AZ. Both warm climates, both growing (Charlotte much smaller, but could gain substantial population over the years). Both have mostly transplants or large numbers of them. Other things, too. While Charlotte is more religiously oriented, Phoenix has a fair number of Mormons. Both lean Republican, although Phoenix has a more libertarian vibe. I wouldn't say they were twins, or even sisters, but maybe 1st or 2nd cousins?
Charlotte itself doesn't lean Republican; did you not hear about all of the brouhaha over the so-called bathroom ordinance? The city leans just a tad bit to the left but with a very pro-business climate. Phoenix doesn't seem to be as business friendly and seems to attract more retirees than Charlotte. Also many people are attracted to Phoenix for the surrounding geography/scenery whereas that's not really true of Charlotte. Certainly the two cities have their similarities as quintessential Sunbelt cities, but I'd probably say Charlotte is more like a few other cities in different regions.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
So FL is "the real south" to you but not LA, VA, AR, or KY? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but okay.

At the very least, I consider a state to be "truly" Southern if it seceded from the Union.
Agree to disagree I suppose.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Agree to disagree I suppose.
You're probably the first person to say that Florida is "the real South" but states like LA, AR, KY, VA, and TX aren't. What's your basis for saying that? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,229,949 times
Quote:
It may be southeastern(ish) but the southeast US or the "real south" is GA, AL, MS, FL, SC, TN, NC.
Virginia and Kentucky and West Virginia are just as Southern as the other ones you mentioned. They are all the real South as well. Texas and Oklahoma are as well. Louisiana not the real South to you? LOL. It's the Deep South. You've obviously never been there. It's every bit as Southern as Mississippi.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You're probably the first person to say that Florida is "the real South" but states like LA, AR, KY, VA, and TX aren't. What's your basis for saying that? I'm genuinely intrigued.
It's just my opinion. I'm from GA, born and raised. I remember growing up and if someone from TX, VA or AR ( I have family in all three) claimed they were from the south we would scoff and find of laugh at them. Sure they were from the "south" but not the "real south" or "deep south", see what I mean?

I guess if I had to redefine it a little better, I suppose I would include LA as part of the "real south" and only the northern part/panhandle of FL, defiantly not the rest of FL. Maybe some parts of southern VA but in my opinion I don't see much in common between parts of say AL/MS with southern VA. East TX, KY, and AR I've always kind of just grouped as a region of its own that happens to be in the southeastern(ish) part of the country, but not the "real south". WV I've always just viewed as more Appalachia than southern.

But like I said, its just my opinion. I'm not trying to strictly define any concrete geographical boundaries or start an argument or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or