U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities in different regions are the most similar to you?
NYC-Chicago 12 24.00%
Baltimore-St. Louis 28 56.00%
Detroit-Los Angeles 3 6.00%
Other (Please explain why in a post) 9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
It's just my opinion. I'm from GA, born and raised. I remember growing up and if someone from TX, VA or AR ( I have family in all three) claimed they were from the south we would scoff and find of laugh at them. Sure they were from the "south" but not the "real south" or "deep south", see what I mean?

I guess if I had to redefine it a little better, I suppose I would include LA as part of the "real south" and only the northern part/panhandle of FL, defiantly not the rest of FL. Maybe some parts of southern VA but in my opinion I don't see much in common between parts of say AL/MS with southern VA. East TX, KY, and AR I've always kind of just grouped as a region of its own that happens to be in the southeastern(ish) part of the country, but not the "real south". WV I've always just viewed as more Appalachia than southern.

But like I said, its just my opinion. I'm not trying to strictly define any concrete geographical boundaries or start an argument or anything.
That sounds a bit more reasonable, although I disagree with the notion that the deep South is the "real South."

Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 825,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That sounds a bit more reasonable, although I disagree with the notion that the deep South is the "real South."
I think another thing that really made me feel this way was southern rap. (I'm currently a 29 year old, married w/ three kids white dude living in upstate NY mind you, lol). But when I was in high school that was pretty much the peak of southern rap, Pastor Troy - Vica Versa was pretty much my anthem, lol. And being from Atlanta I was of course a fan of rappers from Atlanta (Bone crusher, Big Bio, Pastor Troy, Yung Joc, Shop Boyz, etc, etc) and other rappers from TN (Three 6 Mafia, Young Buck), MS (David Banner), you get the picture. And me and my buddies use to clown on/make fun of the TX rappers like DJ Screw, Fat Pat, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, UGK, etc, because we looked at them as wannabe southern rappers that should just stick to roping cattle and listening to country music.

I know it sounds dumb haha, I've since moved on from "those days", but I guess that's one of the things that have always stuck with me from my youth. Not to mention when I was in the Army I met a lot of people TX that claimed they were from the south and I'd argue with them about it then as well.

All in good fun

Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Maybe New Orleans and Savanah or Charleston? Tuscon and El Paso?
On a side note what made you put LA-Detroit as an option..
Each of those are in the same region. NOLA and Savannah are in the South and El Paso and Tucson in the Southwest.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
I agree with Kansas City and Dallas and Fort Worth. Also, small comparisons for DFW and the Twin Cities. Two large cities near each other, connected by the same highway which splits east/west (I-35) with one city being more modern and vibrant the other one being more working class.

For the sake of this thread, I don't think neighbouring states of different regions should count.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,446,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Texas is the real South I'm sorry. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically and historically it is a Southern state.
East Texas at least is very much the real South. Has the same vegetation (largely rolling pine woodlands, wet climate), and the same culturally. Of course west Texas is southwestern like New Mexico and Arizona. It has no resemblance in any way to east Texas.

Houston is in southeast Texas, in an area partially pine forest, partially swamps, and partially coastal grassland. Very wet climate.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,164,613 times
Baltimore and St. Louis are the best example, LA and Detroit never seen any similarities. Even NYC and Chicago are totally different. I have heard New Orleans and Detroit I did not see any similarities. Boston and Seattle I have heard that but I never been to Seattle so I cannot say.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM

1,273 posts, read 702,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Aren't they the same region...mid Atlantic?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,353,984 times
Quote:
I'd also argue for Cincinnati (Midwest) and Louisville (South).
They are still in the same region though, both being on the border of the lower Midwest and upper south, and only about an hour away from eachother.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:11 AM

1,251 posts, read 825,169 times
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I'd say Rochester NY (northeast) and Grand Rapids MI (Midwest) fit the bill.

Both have roughly the same populations, 1 mil metro, 200k city. Both are near the Great Lakes. Both were effected by deindustrialization. Both underrated in my opinion.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,109,405 times
Quote:
I'd also argue for Cincinnati (Midwest) and Louisville (South).
So you called people out for proposing Baltimore/Philly and Atlanta/Houston, but you then proceed to propose Cincy/Louisville and Buffalo/Cleveland? Lol, okay. I myself as a lifelong Buffalonian have long considered Cleveland (and not say Rochester NY) to be Buffalo's sister city...but in no way do I consider the three-hour drive which separates the two cities to be one which transports a person between regions. Sure, you'll probably counter by saying that Buffalo is NE and Cleveland is in the midwest, but that's ultimately arbitrary. They're Great Lakes cities, both on the same lake in fact, and quite similar. Euclid OH approaching Cleveland feels like home to me--feels like Lackawanna NY approaching Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or