Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities in different regions are the most similar to you?
NYC-Chicago 12 24.00%
Baltimore-St. Louis 28 56.00%
Detroit-Los Angeles 3 6.00%
Other (Please explain why in a post) 9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
So you called people out for proposing Baltimore/Philly and Atlanta/Houston, but you then proceed to propose Cincy/Louisville and Buffalo/Cleveland? Lol, okay. I myself as a lifelong Buffalonian have long considered Cleveland (and not say Rochester NY) to be Buffalo's sister city...but in no way do I consider the three-hour drive which separates the two cities to be one which transports a person between regions. Sure, you'll probably counter by saying that Buffalo is NE and Cleveland is in the midwest, but that's ultimately arbitrary. They're Great Lakes cities, both on the same lake in fact, and quite similar. Euclid OH approaching Cleveland feels like home to me--feels like Lackawanna NY approaching Buffalo.
I agree, no matter what way you want to spin it, Buffalo and Cleveland are in the same region. Argue Northeast/Midwest all you want. Go to both cities and tell me it's not the same region.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I've also heard from people that DFW and Kansas City are similar, or more so that DFW is like a larger version of it. Cannot verify, as I have never been to Kansas City, but it seems reasonable. That said, I always considered Kansas-Missouri and Texas to be in the same region, the Great Plains region, though not the one considered a subgroup of the Midwest.
Kansas and Missouri are not in the same region as Texas. Texas is Southern. Kansas and Missouri are Midwestern. Kansas and Missouri are completely different from Texas culturally, linguistically, and demographically. Lol the same region I guess Michigan and Florida are also in the same region.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I agree, no matter what way you want to spin it, Buffalo and Cleveland are in the same region. Argue Northeast/Midwest all you want. Go to both cities and tell me it's not the same region.
Buffalo and Cleveland are not in the same region. Buffalo is Northeast, Cleveland is Midwest. I'm sorry you lose here.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
So you called people out for proposing Baltimore/Philly and Atlanta/Houston, but you then proceed to propose Cincy/Louisville and Buffalo/Cleveland? Lol, okay. I myself as a lifelong Buffalonian have long considered Cleveland (and not say Rochester NY) to be Buffalo's sister city...but in no way do I consider the three-hour drive which separates the two cities to be one which transports a person between regions. Sure, you'll probably counter by saying that Buffalo is NE and Cleveland is in the midwest, but that's ultimately arbitrary. They're Great Lakes cities, both on the same lake in fact, and quite similar. Euclid OH approaching Cleveland feels like home to me--feels like Lackawanna NY approaching Buffalo.
Nope. Cleveland is Midwestern and Buffalo is Northeastern. It's not arbitrary. It's a fact. Cincinnati is solidly Midwestern. Louisville is solidly Southern. Sorry you're wrong.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
They are still in the same region though, both being on the border of the lower Midwest and upper south, and only about an hour away from eachother.
They're not the same region culturally or linguistically. And they're an hour and a half from each other. They are not part of the same region. The Lower Midwest and Upper South are completely different from each other.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I've been to both cities and they're not the same.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:47 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Nope. Cleveland is Midwestern and Buffalo is Northeastern. It's not arbitrary. It's a fact. Cincinnati is solidly Midwestern. Louisville is solidly Southern. Sorry you're wrong.
These sorts of regional delineations are in fact arbitrary. Search the Buffalo forum; it's been debated before whether Buffalo is 'northeastern' or 'midwestern'. Cleveland being in NE Ohio as it is, I'm sure there've been some who've attempted to locate it in the NE US (not unreasonably). I'm well aware what the accepted classifications are on that front, but then there's the competing classification of 'Great Lakes' (NY-OH-IL-MI-WI) or 'Rust Belt', which of course would result in Buffalo and Cleveland being part of the same region. I'm more partial to that, myself, as Buffalo feels much more like the kin of Cleveland and Chicago than it does of the big 'truly northeastern' cities....

Cincinnati's right on the Kentucky border, but apparently that's good enough to be 'solidly Midwestern'...once you cross that state line, though, you're magically transported to an entirely different world, it seems. You apparently see the world in very black-and-white terms....

Old 08-12-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I've been to both cities and they're not the same.
Like I said, argue it all you want.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
These sorts of regional delineations are in fact arbitrary. Search the Buffalo forum; it's been debated before whether Buffalo is 'northeastern' or 'midwestern'. Cleveland being in NE Ohio as it is, I'm sure there've been some who've attempted to locate it in the NE US (not unreasonably). I'm well aware what the accepted classifications are on that front, but then there's the competing classification of 'Great Lakes' (NY-OH-IL-MI-WI) or 'Rust Belt', which of course would result in Buffalo and Cleveland being part of the same region. I'm more partial to that, myself, as Buffalo feels much more like the kin of Cleveland and Chicago than it does of the big 'truly northeastern' cities....

Cincinnati's right on the Kentucky border, but apparently that's good enough to be 'solidly Midwestern'...once you cross that state line, though, you're magically transported to an entirely different world, it seems. You apparently see the world in very black-and-white terms....
U146, Matt is right, you are wrong. I'm sorry you lose here.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
There's more than one way to define "region." The Rust Belt is a region that spans the Midwest and the Northeast, just as the Sunbelt spans the Southeast and Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.