U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which cities in different regions are the most similar to you?
NYC-Chicago 12 24.00%
Baltimore-St. Louis 28 56.00%
Detroit-Los Angeles 3 6.00%
Other (Please explain why in a post) 9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,161,400 times
Reputation: 4349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I think another thing that really made me feel this way was southern rap. (I'm currently a 29 year old, married w/ three kids white dude living in upstate NY mind you, lol). But when I was in high school that was pretty much the peak of southern rap, Pastor Troy - Vica Versa was pretty much my anthem, lol. And being from Atlanta I was of course a fan of rappers from Atlanta (Bone crusher, Big Bio, Pastor Troy, Yung Joc, Shop Boyz, etc, etc) and other rappers from TN (Three 6 Mafia, Young Buck), MS (David Banner), you get the picture. And me and my buddies use to clown on/make fun of the TX rappers like DJ Screw, Fat Pat, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, UGK, etc, because we looked at them as wannabe southern rappers that should just stick to roping cattle and listening to country music.

I know it sounds dumb haha, I've since moved on from "those days", but I guess that's one of the things that have always stuck with me from my youth. Not to mention when I was in the Army I met a lot of people TX that claimed they were from the south and I'd argue with them about it then as well.

All in good fun
I'm glad you realize it.

 
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Buffalo and Cleveland are not in the same region. Buffalo is Northeast, Cleveland is Midwest. I'm sorry you lose here.
I'm not sure if you have been to Buffalo they really sound Midwestern.
If Baltimore and Philly are in the same region Buffalo and Clevelend are too.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,304 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I'm not sure if you have been to Buffalo they really sound Midwestern.
If Baltimore and Philly are in the same region Buffalo and Clevelend are too.
No Baltimore and Philly are in the same region because they factually are. Buffalo and Cleveland aren't. Get it through your head. Baltimore is not the South.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,304 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
These sorts of regional delineations are in fact arbitrary. Search the Buffalo forum; it's been debated before whether Buffalo is 'northeastern' or 'midwestern'. Cleveland being in NE Ohio as it is, I'm sure there've been some who've attempted to locate it in the NE US (not unreasonably). I'm well aware what the accepted classifications are on that front, but then there's the competing classification of 'Great Lakes' (NY-OH-IL-MI-WI) or 'Rust Belt', which of course would result in Buffalo and Cleveland being part of the same region. I'm more partial to that, myself, as Buffalo feels much more like the kin of Cleveland and Chicago than it does of the big 'truly northeastern' cities....

Cincinnati's right on the Kentucky border, but apparently that's good enough to be 'solidly Midwestern'...once you cross that state line, though, you're magically transported to an entirely different world, it seems. You apparently see the world in very black-and-white terms....
Sorry, I don't. You apparantly don't respect regional definitions. It's a fact that there are no similarities between Cincinnati and Kentucky outside of the Cincy's northern Kentucky suburbs. Dialect maps show the Southern accent starting south of the Cincy suburbs. I don't see the world in black and white terms at all. I see them in terms of actual facts. You on the other hand seem to like to form your own unsupported opinions and like to see facts as arbitrary. It's become quite clear to me you'll never admit it though. I'm done with you.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,304 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
U146, Matt is right, you are wrong. I'm sorry you lose here.
Said the man who believes LA isn't the real South lol. I have clients in Alexandria, Louisiana...they say y'all, ma'am, show Southern hospitality, etc. They are as Deep South as it gets. No, you both lose. You like to go with make believe. I go with facts. Facts that aren't arbitrary. You two like to manipulate facts and imagine they are arbitrary. Your special talent happens to be cutting out over half the authentic Southern states for no other reason than your unsupported opinion that they aren't Southern. Where are the facts? You have none.

Last edited by U146; 08-12-2016 at 11:01 PM..
 
Old 08-12-2016, 11:06 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
No Baltimore and Philly are in the same region because they factually are. Buffalo and Cleveland aren't. Get it through your head. Baltimore is not the South.
Buffalo and Cleveland are both in the Rust Belt. That's a legitimate region that includes parts of the Midwest and Northeast.
 
Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 AM
 
10,930 posts, read 5,041,456 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Buffalo and Cleveland are both in the Rust Belt. That's a legitimate region that includes parts of the Midwest and Northeast.
I'd call it the Great Lakes region because that gives it a geographic focus. "Rust belt" can be even more arbitrary as people can extend it to other decaying cities not in that region.
 
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
No Baltimore and Philly are in the same region because they factually are. Buffalo and Cleveland aren't. Get it through your head. Baltimore is not the South.
Tell that to the census bureau.
 
Old 08-13-2016, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,250 posts, read 824,444 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Said the man who believes LA isn't the real South lol. I have clients in Alexandria, Louisiana...they say y'all, ma'am, show Southern hospitality, etc. They are as Deep South as it gets. No, you both lose. You like to go with make believe. I go with facts. Facts that aren't arbitrary. You two like to manipulate facts and imagine they are arbitrary. Your special talent happens to be cutting out over half the authentic Southern states for no other reason than your unsupported opinion that they aren't Southern. Where are the facts? You have none.
You just can't accept anyone else's opinion but your own. No gray areas with you whatsoever, very black and white kind of person. Suit yourself.
 
Old 08-13-2016, 08:48 AM
 
7,707 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Reputation: 8423
Texas southern status isn't as clear-cut as people are making it out to be. The South, historical speaking, had very little Mexican influence. It's cuisine is more beef than Pork-based. You have the cowboy culture, and historically speaking, a lot of German immigrants. None of these things are common in southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top