U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM

73 posts, read 487,277 times

Advertisements

We will be on across country trip and plan on driving from Seattle, Wa to San Diego, Ca. We plan to stop in San Francisco for a couple of days and then by pass L.A. (do not want to drive in L.A. traffic again). How long will it take to drive from Seattle to San Francisco then from San Francisco to San Diego.
This is if we don't stop too often, will stop overnight, gas and food as needed. Any suggestions on what highways to use besides I-5.
Thanks for your help.
Tom Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 AM

32,375 posts, read 55,173,351 times
On your first leg from Seattle to San Francisco, I guesstimate 13 hrs.

5 is the quickest route. 101 isnt really a divided highway after Sonoma County and 1 right along the pacific ocean will take like 30 hrs.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
On your first leg from Seattle to San Francisco, I guesstimate 13 hrs.

5 is the quickest route. 101 isnt really a divided highway after Sonoma County and 1 right along the pacific ocean will take like 30 hrs.
5 may be the quickest, but it's definitely not the most exciting. I can barely stand the hours from Vacaville to Shasta.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,588,670 times
I'd plan on 4+ hours from the 5 in central LA to the 8 in SD. I've done LA-Westwood to SD in 5 hours during rush and a little over 2 hours at 1 am on a Wednesday nite. The 15 is a prettier trip thru mountains but you don't get glimpses of the pacific, farms etc., like on the 5. Good luck and have fun! Leighland

Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to see on the drive that we may not know about. Are the redwoods worth the stop? Sounds like we need to drive partly on Hwy 1 , 101 and I-15 besides I-5. Haven't driven in Calif. before so don't know what to expect but know I do not want to drive in L.A. thus the round about to get to San Diego.
Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM

939 posts, read 2,830,180 times
well, i can't help you much on seattle to san francisco other then mentioning the 5 and then to whatever freeway takes you to san francisco.

if you take the 1 down the pacific coast in california, you can stop at cool towns like carmel and monteray and santa cruz and santa barbara. all these places are world class small cities and you will not be disappointed. or you can allocate your hours accordingly and stick to the 5 freeway and head towards LA before taking the pac coast highway 1 through malibu, heading south to the venice beach pier or santa monica pier. then you can get back on the 5 freeway and hop back on the pac coast highway through orange county and stop by huntington beach, newport, corona del mar, laguna beach, etc. then drive down the 1 back to the 5 freeway and head south on the 5 towards downtown san diego, but before downtown, you can take san diego's historic 101 route from the encinitas, leucadia, or via de la valle exits off the 5 near san diego and take the 101 on the coast driving through encinitas, del mar, torrey pines, past UCSD and the la jolla shores, la jolla cove, and curve and follow the coast and continue to drive past all the awesome beach towns like san diego's pacific beach, mission beach, then head back towards sea world and continue south and go to ocean beach, sunset cliffs, then head more south to the 5 and go to downtown and even go over the coronado bridge that you will see span over the bay into coronado and visit hotel del coronado, then you can take the silver strand down to imperial beach, and if you really wanted, visit tijuana, but i dont recommend it right now, it's a war zone right now.

sorry for my run on sentence! it was all off the top of my head.
ps... i think communities around the 15 freeway north of rancho bernardo in san diego county are very blue collar and it just looks like a lot of dirt and brown mountains everywhere.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the great info.......sounds like it will make an interesting trip.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM

87 posts, read 265,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
5 may be the quickest, but it's definitely not the most exciting. I can barely stand the hours from Vacaville to Shasta.
Watchu talkin' 'bout? That's one of the best parts.

I have family in Seattle, so I would suggest taking the 5, though it ain't as exciting as the 101 or the 1, but if you want to get there as quick as you can, the 5 is the best choice.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM

812 posts, read 3,583,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i think communities around the 15 freeway north of rancho bernardo in san diego county are very blue collar and it just looks like a lot of dirt and brown mountains everywhere.
I don't think the 15's very pretty either North of RB... it's downright ugly... Temecula's actually quite big now though.

For scenery, you'll have to take the traffic, for speed, take the ugliness... unless you like Chaparral (Scrub Desert).

You still run the possibility of traffic going onto the 15 as well, you can't completely bypass LA, and the Inland Valley has its share of traffic... then San Diego's got it's own traffic too. Temecula, which is right on the border of Riverside and San Diego counties, has boomed recently to over 100,000, and traffic is horrendous going through there. Same goes for once you hit Rancho Bernardo, traffic can appear for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or