U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Reputation: 2212

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
NYC yes, but why not Boston?

Boston is just like Philadelphia.
Because Boston sprawls more evenly than Philly, Philly sprawls heavily in several directions but not as heavy in other directions. Kind of like the only areas from the center of Dallas were it takes 30 minutes to find rural areas are southeast and parts of east Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Reputation: 3920
If you live on the St Paul side of the Twin Cities you can get this, the Minneapolis side sprawls out too far. You would want to look in Washington County which is east and northeast of St Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Reputation: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
If you live on the St Paul side of the Twin Cities you can get this, the Minneapolis side sprawls out too far. You would want to look in Washington County which is east and northeast of St Paul.
I disagree with this. Southwest and northwest maybe but straight west on highway 12 if you're 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis you are already approaching the countryside. I was in Longlake over the weekend and there was a sign on Highway 12 that said 17 miles to Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I disagree with this. Southwest and northwest maybe but straight west on highway 12 if you're 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis you are already approaching the countryside. I was in Longlake over the weekend and there was a sign on Highway 12 that said 17 miles to Minneapolis.
I used to reverse commute from south Minneapolis to Loretto, you can definitely do it in a half an hour if you are driving off peak, but if you get stuck in rush hour it is more like an hour. The OP was talking about commutes in time rather than miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
 
131 posts, read 97,331 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Because Boston sprawls more evenly than Philly, Philly sprawls heavily in several directions but not as heavy in other directions. Kind of like the only areas from the center of Dallas were it takes 30 minutes to find rural areas are southeast and parts of east Dallas.

You're from Texas. Have you ever been to these two cities?

Philadelphia is much larger than Boston is. They both have terrible traffic from really old infrastructure.

I would definitely include Boston with Philadelphia. Boston may be quicker to be honest. Your sprawling evenly comments make no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 02:00 PM
 
56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Rochester and Syracuse, drive 30 minutes in any direction from those cities and your likely to be in farm country.
If that, as you could probably do it within 20 minutes, depending on where you are coming from/going to. For instance, this area is about 15 minutes from Downtown Syracuse, to the south of the city and just north of the Onondaga Nation: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...610584!6m1!1e1


Or this area to the south in about the same time: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8933...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2016 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
In some of the New York City suburban counties, you can find areas that are heavily forested with large properties that make the areas look semi-rural and even rural.

Parts of Westchester County (Towns of South Salem, Bedford, Pound Ridge, etc.), much of north central and northeastern Nassau County, northwestern Passaic County, quite a few areas in Morris County, Fairfield County, Somerset County, and parts of Bergen County. And Suffolk, Orange, Sussex, and I believe Warren and Hunterdon counties all contain extensive amounts of farmland.

Now most of this is more then half an hour away but this is New York City we are talking about. It is kind of amazing that you can basically live in what looks like the country and still be in easy striking distance of one of the greatest cities on the planet.

The Incorporated Village of Old Brookville - Long Island, NY (pictures from the Village of Old Brookville, Nassau County)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Reputation: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I used to reverse commute from south Minneapolis to Loretto, you can definitely do it in a half an hour if you are driving off peak, but if you get stuck in rush hour it is more like an hour. The OP was talking about commutes in time rather than miles.
I guess I didn't infer commute during rush from OPs question. But if that's the case there are tons of professional jobs IN the western and southwestern burbs where you wouldn't need to go to DT MPLS. You could work in Eden Prairie and live outside of Carver, work in Minnetonka and live past Independence etc etc. Bloomington job you could live in Credit River or New Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,244 posts, read 820,841 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If that, as you could probably do it within 20 minutes, depending on where you are coming from/going to. For instance, this area is about 15 minutes from Downtown Syracuse, to the south of the city and just north of the Onondaga Nation: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...610584!6m1!1e1


Or this area to the south in about the same time: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8933...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Great idea to use Google street view to provide proof. It would be my dream to have that little piece of property in the second link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:47 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 13,748,511 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Within half an hour?? I'm skeptical. Most of the close-in suburbs are either very deleveloped or insanely expensive. Same goes for the LA suggestion.

I'd look at smaller cities like Nashville, Louisville and St. Louis. You really can drive 30 minutes in normal traffic and be out in the country.
Totally agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top