U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM

131 posts, read 97,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Especially in northwestern New Jersey. It helps to have forest covered hills, you can see more autumn trees then in flat areas.

The Official Web Site for The State of New Jersey - Photo Gallery - Autumn (autumn 2008 New Jersey) This website has some photos that might shock people because it is not what you think of New Jersey.

In the fall, people like to get away from the cities and suburbs so they sometimes overlook what is in their own backyard and head off to the Poconos, the Catskills, the Berkshires and the Green Mountains.

Yes absolutely. When I lived in New Jersey for school and drove back Upstate, I would drive through the Poconos and Lehigh Valley PA, and it was gorgeous. North Jersey is gorgeous as well.

So many hills and peaks and river valleys.

The Northeast is mostly the same when it comes to small towns, history and fall foliage. Even the major cities are all similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM

131 posts, read 97,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Simple answer to the original question: Marketing.

New England states have put a ton of effort into pushing autumn scenery as part of their tourism lure.

I would agree with this.

New England states use fall foliage as a huge marketing tactic because they don't have much else (i'm talking about Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine)

The other New England states just push their cities (Boston) or coastal activities (sailing, etc.)

Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 AM

18,652 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why do make such an all encompassing statement- as if your opinion were fact?
Because he is a knoitall. I've seen vibrant fall colors as far East as Ahoskie. The reasoning he has for North Carolina not having foliage because it's subtropical is hilarious seeing as how Virginia and DC is also subtropical and they also have vibrant fall colors.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM

470 posts, read 287,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because he is a knoitall. I've seen vibrant fall colors as far East as Ahoskie. The reasoning he has for North Carolina not having foliage because it's subtropical is hilarious seeing as how Virginia and DC is also subtropical and they also have vibrant fall colors.
DC isn't a true subtropical climate, and neither is most of Virginia (except, perhaps, Virginia Beach). Fall color is triggered by latitude, not temp, anyways.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,419,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We have some beautiful fall colors in the North Ga mtns.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:50 AM

11,759 posts, read 8,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
You really don't think Upstate has that?

Let's not forgot what states fought over Vermont. It was almost ours to begin with.
"Ours"!? Why I oughtta.... (in my best Moe imitation)

Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 PM

11,759 posts, read 8,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
I would agree with this.

New England states use fall foliage as a huge marketing tactic because they don't have much else (i'm talking about Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine)

The other New England states just push their cities (Boston) or coastal activities (sailing, etc.)
Lots of NY plates in Vt in the winter. I guess they get lost after leaf peeping season.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,887,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The rest of the country DOES NOT think that. Fall foliage in the South is equally impressive.

GEORGIA:
Fall foilage in the South is not as impressive as in the North due to a much lower percentage of tree species, especially maples, that produce anthocyanins, which ceate red coloration of leaves.

<<Anthocyanins are present in about 10% of tree species in temperate regions, although in certain areas — most famously New England — up to 70% of tree species may produce the pigment.[6] In autumn forests they appear vivid in the maples, oaks, sourwood, sweetgums, dogwoods, tupelos, cherry trees and persimmons. These same pigments often combine with the carotenoids' colors to create the deeper orange, fiery reds, and bronzes typical of many hardwood species.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn...ote-tree1044-6

E.g., see Figure 2 here:

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/trees.htm

Regions with significant maple sugar industries, such as northeastern Ohio, likely have better fall colors as well.

http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages...ple-Syrup.html

Areas of Canada, New York, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin also have forests with high anthocyanin production. E.g., Letchworth State Park in western NY is spectacular for leaf peepers, for those who also might want to visit nearby Niagara Falls.

Letchworth State Park

Letchworth Middle Falls In Fall Photograph by Mark Papke

Certainly, New England architecture adds to the charm of the region in the autumn. In the eyes of National Geographic, eastern Holmes County in Ohio goes even a step further with its high percentage of Amish farms among the rolling Appalachian foothills.

Top 10 Places to See Autumn Leaves -- National Geographic

<<The character of autumn color is different in different parts of the world. In New England and the northeast sections of Asia, a few species dominate the deciduous forests. The display there tends to be short but intense because the change is rapid and rather uniform. In the southern Appalachians, the change is often gradual and the fall foliage season may last for more than a month because of the greater diversity of plant species found in the forest there.>>

The Science of Color in Autumn Leaves

Europe is even more color challenged, explaining why Europeans also enjoy leaf peeping in New England.

Why Fall Colors Are Different in U.S. and Europe

Last edited by WRnative; 08-11-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 12:54 PM

6,070 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
DC isn't a true subtropical climate, and neither is most of Virginia (except, perhaps, Virginia Beach). Fall color is triggered by latitude, not temp, anyways.

-- You keep saying that, but you still don't explain why leaves change weeks sooner in mountains than lowlands even further north. Or why earlier cold snaps in fall produce earlier leaf colour or why New York City, last December, still had leaves on their trees as a result to a mild start to winter...

Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 PM

56,735 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Lots of NY plates in Vt in the winter. I guess they get lost after leaf peeping season.
What parts of VT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.