U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:59 PM

15 posts, read 10,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
I would absolutely include the others you have mentioned.

There is a thread about a person moving from California to New England and they had no idea that Upstate New York or Pennsylvania had fall colors, etc.

Blew my mind!
How dare you! Lol.

Honestly I have no idea why I assumed the NE area was the best/only area for fall colors. Maybe because New England is a popular setting for movies and tv?

I'm glad people have pointed out other areas though. Upstate NY looks fantastic. I knew it was pretty, just like every state has pretty spots, but I didn't realize it was THAT pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:40 AM
_OT

2,141 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Fall foliage in the South matching the Northeast is found only in the high elevations of the region, as well as the northern/inland tiers of the region. The rest of the South is too warm and tropical-like year-round to see any spectacular fall color of note. Deciduous trees on the Southern coastal plain are a relic from the Ice Age.
I Agree, of course like you said you'll find most of the fall foliage in the areas with high elevations, mainly further inland. As far as major cities go, I think Birmingham has a pretty nice fall season, albeit it's not as long as the fall season in the Northeast, it still has some nice views, especially within the areas where the hills are.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 AM

6,052 posts, read 3,377,056 times
I doubt the rest of the country thinks that, considering most of the rest of the country experiences fall foliage too. I'm pretty sure Midwesterners are aware that their own state not only have fall foliage, but have beautiful fall foliage that rivals New England. Even here in Texas, while nothing like Vermont, we have fall foliage.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:05 AM

470 posts, read 286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I doubt the rest of the country thinks that, considering most of the rest of the country experiences fall foliage too. I'm pretty sure Midwesterners are aware that their own state not only have fall foliage, but have beautiful fall foliage that rivals New England. Even here in Texas, while nothing like Vermont, we have fall foliage.
Those types of trees in Texas exist either because they are planted, or they are Ice Age relics.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:45 AM

6,052 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Those types of trees in Texas exist either because they are planted, or they are Ice Age relics.
Umm nope. Those are natives. You really think they decided to plant northern trees over 200,000 plus square miles? Pecan trees are native here, they turn yellow in November. In case you didn't know, the temperatures in November here are the same as New England in October. I'm of course referring to the upper half of Texas. Won't see much if any colour down south. We get our leave change a month later than y'all but we get it. You don't like people being ignorant about where you live, don't be ignorant about down here either

Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,946,928 times
Quote:
That's the second time you've made reference to "Ice Age relics"' ... Whatever that means?

At any rate, yes most trees in the South change colors and lose their leaves in the fall. The only types that don't, of course, are evergreens like the famous southern Live Oaks which only grow in the coastal regions, etc. But even they do turn a dull gray / green.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 AM

18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times
AZ sees northeast-style fall foliage in the mountains, mainly from 4,500-9,000ft

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Umm nope. Those are natives. You really think they decided to plant northern trees over 200,000 plus square miles? Pecan trees are native here, they turn yellow in November. In case you didn't know, the temperatures in November here are the same as New England in October. I'm of course referring to the upper half of Texas. Won't see much if any colour down south. We get our leave change a month later than y'all but we get it. You don't like people being ignorant about where you live, don't be ignorant about down here either
Right. Pretty clearly this particular poster is not very familiar with northeast Texas.

There are more spectacular fall colors on the eastern seaboard, especially in the Appalachians and Smoky Mountains and northeast but northeast Texas does have some beautiful fall foliage - we just get it in late November. Or at Christmas - LOL.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Right. Pretty clearly this particular poster is not very familiar with northeast Texas.

There are more spectacular fall colors on the eastern seaboard, especially in the Appalachians and Smoky Mountains and northeast but northeast Texas does have some beautiful fall foliage - we just get it in late November. Or at Christmas - LOL.

And wow, my cypress trees in my yard put on a beautiful show in the fall! Along with the yellow leaves of the river birch tree in the backyard.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 AM

4,266 posts, read 5,471,909 times
Certainly New England isn't the only location with beautiful autumn foliage, although I might argue that the Adirondacks vs. New England isn't a stark location difference. There's lovely autumn foliage all over the Midwest and South, and I've even seen spectacular colors up in the higher elevations in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.