U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,155 times

Advertisements

Miami Beach is about as cliquish as it gets unless you are super rich and then you will make all types of new friends. If you buy people drinks in Miami everyone will love you but if you are not all about imagine and money I would not bother moving here, women are all about how much money you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 AM

218 posts, read 237,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Miami Beach is about as cliquish as it gets unless you are super rich and then you will make all types of new friends. If you buy people drinks in Miami everyone will love you but if you are not all about imagine and money I would not bother moving here, women are all about how much money you have.
Scottsdale and parts of Phoenix are like this, but Reno is not.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 PM

5,460 posts, read 3,295,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Reno- people there seemed very open when I was there, more people then average go out alone.
Lived in Reno for a while and saw that most people were married.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:36 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
So tiresome, this misbegotten old Cincinnati adage. It degrades intelligent conversation as much as harping on Cleveland's 1969 Cuyahoga River fire or Columbus' Woody Hayes era cow town image.
Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Kansas City get the same ****. Seriously, though, let those people believe that you have to have gone to high school in those cities to ever fit in there, because people who are that ignorant and judgmental probably aren't the kind of people you'd want around anyway. Don't even bother trying to convince them otherwise. Just make fools of those people by becoming better cities without them.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:19 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,959,777 times
^

Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,236,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Scottsdale and parts of Phoenix are like this, but Reno is not.
Uptown Dallas as well. It's been described as having similarities to Scottsdale. Other Dallas neighborhoods are more outgoing and conversational.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I hear people say this about the Twin Cities, but I did not grow up here or go to high school here but have a large circle of friends. Many of my friends did grow up here (but I also have many friends that came here from other countries) and do not hang out with their friends from high school. In fact, I don't really know anyone in the Twin Cities that hangs out with their high school click- this seems to be more prominent in rural Minnesota though.
I'm also a transplant to the region and have the same experience as you. I think the reputation comes from some of the outer suburbs that are full of the stodgiest of natives to the area like Maple Grove or Forest Lake but in my experience Minneapolis proper isn't cliquish at all.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:35 AM

11,060 posts, read 4,862,762 times
I find the cliquey mentality so strange after university... Don't most people move to different parts of the country at least several times anyway?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:16 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I find the cliquey mentality so strange after university... Don't most people move to different parts of the country at least several times anyway?
No, most people stay within 20 miles or so of their childhood home, many stay in the same town.
What world do you live in?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM

345 posts, read 335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, most people stay within 20 miles or so of their childhood home, many stay in the same town.
What world do you live in?
lol i agree...people act like everybody are first class world travelers, like no. Most people when they graduate usually either stay put or move to a city somewhere else in the state or a nearby state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.