U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 AM

25 posts, read 16,573 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a 38 year old Irish man and I am planning on taking my family (wife & 3 kids (1 girl (8), 2 boys (4 and 6)) from cold, wet (but beautiful!) Ireland to live in the US for 9 months (Sept to May). I won't be relying on work as I will be running my online business, so location wise we are totally flexible.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, so we want to make the most out of it and choose the best possible place for our needs. I'm hoping you guys can help steer us in the right direction :-)

Things that are important to us/on our 'wish list' (roughly in level of priority) include:

- Outdoor life. We want the kids to spend lots of time outdoors, preferably in beautiful scenery. We enjoy hiking, cycling and mountain biking for example.

- Weather! Having lived in a wet, mild Irish climate for most of our lives we want to experience sun, sun and more sun. We could do harsh winters, but would prefer not to.

- We want something quite different from life in Ireland. For this reason the east coast doesn't appeal as much (as beautiful as I'm sure it is). Different in terms of scenery, culture and weather

- Safe for us and of course the kids.

- We don't want to live downtown in a big city. Prefer small/medium town or suburb.

- We are very health conscious (food and exercise) and like living in places where other people have similar lifestyles and organic food etc being available is a nice to have

- Nature and beautiful scenery.

- We appreciate 'nice' things, as I'm sure most people do...nicely kept, pretty towns, nice restaurants etc

- I don't want to let budget be the determining factor but of course we prefer to spend less if possible.

- Wifey hates mosquitos...minor point, but worth mentioning. Also we are wary of lyme and things of that nature.

Having given it a lot of thought, we are currently considering (although open to other suggestions):

1. Scottsdale, Arizona
2. Austin, Texas
3. Santa Barbara, California

Scottsdale seems beautiful and quite cheap (accommodation anyway), but the weather is a bit of a concern for 5 pasty Irish people :-). Saying that we are going to miss the peak of the hot season as we are only there from Sept to May. We don't want to have to keep the kids caged up inside.

Austin seems similar to Scottsdale and again beautiful and reasonably priced.

We once visited Santa Barbara and LOVED it. This is the sort of place we could really see ourselves living. Main downside is the outrageous cost of accommodation (at least compared to the other 2).

I'd love to hear some feedback on the above 3 places, especially in relation to the 'wish list' etc I mention above.

Also, open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Slainte!

Last edited by Adventurer007; 08-10-2016 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:21 AM

218 posts, read 237,583 times
Hi, saw your post on the Scottsdale forum.
May I also suggest Carlsbad, thousand oaks, ojai, calabasas, santa Clarita, newport beach, irvine, and temecula. All, very safe, but temecula is rough around the edges and certainly not as educated as the others. Santa Barbara, montecito, are my favorite areas and are highly educated, but I agree about the cost of living.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 AM

Many thanks. Will look into those areas!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 AM

Also, since you will be here over the winter, to avoid rain, stay south of 35 degrees north latitude. From Santa Barbara and south has relatively dry winters. From San Luis Obispo and north, winters can be dreadful, such as San Francisco. That said, another very nice place is the Monterey Peninsula. But it can be wet, and many of its cities are gang infested. However, Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel, are safe, within the city limits only.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 AM

By the way that is Carlsbad, California, not Carlsbad, New Mexico.
It is very similar to Scottsdale.
Other areas of San Diego are nice but I'm not familiar with them.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:42 AM

Thanks again. The more I look, the more I'm leaning towards Arizona or Texas as Cali seems SOOO expensive! The weather is still a big concern though. mm

Old 08-10-2016, 05:57 AM

6,837 posts, read 11,106,559 times
Hmmm, Sep to May- little winter and tons of sun. That does sort of limit you to a few places in the US.

I would choose San Antonio or Fredericksburg over Austin proper. Austin has exploded in population over the last few years and has lots of sprawl.

I might choose Tucson over Scottsdale because I think it might be more interesting. Scottsdale strikes me as somewhat sterile but maybe not an issue. Maybe Scottsdale is the best choice.

Henderson, Nevada?

Assuming you have Irish brogues (Ha ha) I think your accents will be more easily understood out west as opposed to Texas- the southwest. Took me a long time to communicate in Tx without saying "excuse me, but could you say that again?" and I am an American.

All these places can be around 40F in winter.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:04 AM

Thanks Hollytree. What would the main differences be between Scottsdale and Tucson, especially given my 'wishlist'? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:20 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,758,482 times
What visa do you plan to use for living and working in the US?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 AM

7,691 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or