Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijwyo View Post
Boulder, CO always has been the secret hippy hang out.
If you can afford it.
But IMHO there is nothing much secret about Boulder.
Niwot and Ward are the true hidden hippie gems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 81,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
My ma is a "hippie" and she would always mentioned Monterrey, California as "the place to be".

So is Monterrey a hippie place?
I would say not really. I grew up there as well and would tend to think of nearby places like Berkeley & Santa Cruz (UCs being the focal points) or San Fran. Maybe Big Sur from what I've heard, but I've not much been there before.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
For the south:

Asheville, NC - Great culture full of hippies. The downtown area is amazing. Tons of great jambands go through there.

Boone, NC - Above Asheville about an hour north. Appalachian State University is located there so it is younger hippies.

Athens, GA

I've also heard Sante Fe, NM is pretty "hippieish" and progressive, and Austin, TX has a good amount as well.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Yup, certainly add Taos, NM but perhaps like Boulder, on the elitehip list

Also, Silver City, NM - big ole commune there.

Back East, Shutesbury, MA - up in the hills.

Nice read.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 46,928 times
If you're looking for a chance to "get off the grid", Northern AZ has a lot of people that are living here doing that. They are eco friendly, self-sufficient, spiritual, and free spirited.

No one mentioned Flagstaff, AZ either. Although that might be because it has become "hip" to be "hippie"? Lots of people in Flagstaff are "organic".

Just my two cents

Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
OH I'm so laughing at and with this thread I am a real old time dyed in the wool hippie from the NW (now kinda reformed..have job and home ect.) who currently resides in Jefferson, GA about 14 Miles from Athens, GA...I'll asume the "hippie culture" in Athens is more of a wanna be thaing. They dress the part but ummmmm if you get about 50 feet away from the door of the Earth Fair store (health food store and the only one really)...they ummm kinda fade...LOL.

Not sure what kind of culture your looking for but since Athens is a College town it does have a different atmosphere...however, it does have it's share of frat boy mentality....just drive down frat row after a dawgs game, there's also the fine art of tail-gaiting. They actually have condos specifically built to be used ONLY for home game weekends!!!! Then there is also the rich chicken farmers. And there is a large timber industry in the surounding countys.

The Athens area is a good horsey community, and you are close to the Mts. There is NO indi films...most of the population think Rocky 50 and Terminator 20 are a great idea . I'm sure the counter culture is alive and well however, they would be considered quite small. The majority of the population are RABID dawgs fans and wear the colors on game day and thru out the year. They also buy cars in their college colors...and these are the people who graduated 10,20, 30 years ago ect. Oh and don't bother trying to buy a pet bulldog they are about 3 times the price than they are in other areas of the country. There is also the NASCAR contingent too.

OK so I'm not a sports fan and yes I do feel like a fish out of water here....LOL

But thanks for the remincing...oooohhh I think I mighta had a flashback...LOL

Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Most of the hippies moved out of San Francisco up north to places like Mendicino. There is a little place called Bolinas just north of SF where they may still be found. The State keeps putting up a sign pointing out where it is, and the residents keep removing it.

Monterey...I wish I knew it in the "Cannery Row" days. It used to be a hip place. Now, it is completely yuppie-d out and everything there costs a fortune.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
There's a ton between Sacramento and Portland.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:08 AM

38 posts, read 151,070 times
[
Monterey...I wish I knew it in the "Cannery Row" days. It used to be a hip place. Now, it is completely yuppie-d out and everything there costs a fortune.[/quote]

Scrach a YUPPIE and you will find a HIPPIE, or a least the children of.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 AM

44 posts, read 154,575 times
Thumbs up Asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
For the south:

Asheville, NC - Great culture full of hippies. The downtown area is amazing. Tons of great jambands go through there.

Boone, NC - Above Asheville about an hour north. Appalachian State University is located there so it is younger hippies.

Athens, GA

I've also heard Sante Fe, NM is pretty "hippieish" and progressive, and Austin, TX has a good amount as well.
Asheville, NC is a great town. After the Widespread Panic show we go right down to the "drum pit" and check out the hippies jamming and dancing into the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.