U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Reputation: 5856

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This all makes me wonder why people think home prices will be an ever increasing asset comparable to the stock market. While I know a lot of housing is bigger and of better quality build and on the whole US cities are significantly nicer, there comes a point when rental and therefore housing prices are going to only go as high as people can afford, at which point they'll track wage growth.
The thing is, there has been wage growth, but only among the top 5% of earners, so out of 100 people, 5 have no problem affording housing, while the other 95 have problems, because housing prices are based on total dollars in a local market, not caring how it's distributed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Reputation: 2858
$463 for a 1br in Pittsburgh in 2000. Now it will cost $1000+. The sad part is with our US economy the way it is, the salaries are about the same as in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
122 posts, read 113,070 times
Reputation: 117
This is because zoning laws restrict new construction in many neighborhoods and thus create a scarcity that drives prices up and up. Tokyo fixed this problem in the early 90s by reforming their zoning laws.

https://fee.org/articles/why-isnt-re...ut-of-control/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times
Reputation: 6091
New York City rents have MASSIVELY increased, way outpacing inflation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 AM
 
7,706 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Reputation: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
New York City rents have MASSIVELY increased, way outpacing inflation
There are two major factors at play. The first one everyone knows; foreign buyers. The other one is that it's less New York than it used to be, so it's more attractive to mundanes. That's why you have a whole apartment buildings that are Michigan State buildings. New York is always had a huge transplant population, but it was a very self-selecting population. Now, New York appeals to people who like Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM
 
4,486 posts, read 2,672,469 times
Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This all makes me wonder why people think home prices will be an ever increasing asset comparable to the stock market. While I know a lot of housing is bigger and of better quality build and on the whole US cities are significantly nicer, there comes a point when rental and therefore housing prices are going to only go as high as people can afford, at which point they'll track wage growth.
One factor is that in high-demand cities, people are willing to pay a much larger percentage of their incomes to live there. Some cities are transitioning to this type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861
Builders need to start building more affordable housing and apartment complexes. The demand is there but they aren't building for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Builders need to start building more affordable housing and apartment complexes. The demand is there but they aren't building for some reason.
It's because affordable units are less profitable. And land has gotten so expensive, that if profit isn't maximized, then it's not worth it to the developer to pursue the project, unless they can get government subsidies, but those are hard to come buy as tax revenues are down most places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's because affordable units are less profitable. And land has gotten so expensive, that if profit isn't maximized, then it's not worth it to the developer to pursue the project, unless they can get government subsidies, but those are hard to come buy as tax revenues are down most places
Then that is what needs to be done. We all need a place to live and this is getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
One factor is that in high-demand cities, people are willing to pay a much larger percentage of their incomes to live there. Some cities are transitioning to this type.
Except corporate owned complexes (80% of apartments most places) have income to rent requirements ranging from 40x annual in NYC (if you make $40k, you can only qualify for $1k/month) to 2.5x to 3x monthly elsewhere (here in Phoenix, at my wage of $52k/year, which is around $4,300/month, at 3x the most I could qualify for is $1,430/month). So if you can't meet those requirements, you have to go to a mom&pop complex or get roommates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top